Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By "Dumdum" I am refering to a lead cast bullet with an X cut in the nose of the bullet (just wanted to clairify dumdum vs. hp rds.) I've allways heard "Those are Illegal". I did web search & from what I read they are illegal for war, but not necessarily for civilian use. From what I read the wounds produced by these rds. are similar to hp rds. It also seems to me that the X cut would affect the accuracy of the rd. For that reason alone I would not use them unless it was a survival/life or death scenerio where I had to put down some 400lb gorilla and cast rds. were all I had. Its just been one of those Questions rattling around my head for years, so I thought I'd run it up the flag pole. Ok, I might be a little bored tonight!!

P.S. Oh yea, What about mercury filled bullets (seen in movies)? Would that be done more to produce bullet expansion or mercury poisoning (both of these issues have been hotly debated by some of my gun buddies)?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
never gave much thought to dumb-dumb bullets. I supose they might be illegal perhaps in some States as one member pointed out that HP's were i believe illegal in his State.

guess they are the poor man's version of launching a pre-frag bullet or perhaps a hope of expansion.

As for the movie thing involving mercury or another type of poison or substance, i have seen documentaries about the ganster era and how they rubbed garlic on their bullets in a belief it would cause a serious infection. I suspose the idea is sound, but heck if i know if it works.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just a little history here. The Brits did a lot of experimenting with soft nose ammunition at their Dum-Dum arsenal in India during their colonial days. Before WWI and the Geneva convention, soft nosed bullets were acceptable for warfare. At that time the term Dum-Dum referred to any soft nosed military bullet. It's origin and initial meaning have long been altered to mean, as you say, to cutting an 'X' on the nose of a bullet in an attempt to make it expand.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I only use garlic when I'm hunting vampires. :D

I used to carve the X in my 38's years ago. I thought they'd open better when I went after the raccons in my trash. They always ran off. Probably died later. But they are tough little critters! Maybe they're related to vampires. :eek:

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
appreciate the info coffeepot, always learning something new!

·
Banned
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the garlic didn't Kill"m, would it give them a chronic case of bad breath?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.