Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with Duracoat finishes? I've read a lot of "testimonials" about it, it just would nice to hear about someone's first hand experiences in applying it and it's durability on a firearm before I deicide to try it myself.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
moptop,
do a search on duracoat in the forums, there is plenty there

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've got it and use it on a regular bases. It works quite well. A couple of the AK's I coated it with have been knocked over and one fell off the tailgate, neither one dinged or scratched ! I have been quite inpressed with it ! Although, oi does take quite some time to dry if your fiance won't let you stink up the house cooking it in the oven anymore ! :D

·
Registered
377 Posts
Both 1911s I had it done to were a disappointment. One peeled so badly, it had to be stripped and the other was starting to peel. I assume it was do to poor preparation but since I didn't do it myself, I can't say. I can't recommend it from my experience. [V]

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yep ! You half to be anal with the prep work ! I obviously didn't do the prep so well on my first try and mine peeled to. Then on my next one I was anal in the prep work and even wore white cotton lint free jewelers gloves to keep my skin oil off the metal. According to several people that do it professionally, if your skin oil gets on the surface it really screws with the finish and makes it peel. Plus I have been told that if you don't bake it, which I chose to bake it, then you half to let the piece sit and dry for well over two weeks before even touching it. But other than that incident I haven't had any other problems with it at all and its finish holds up extremely well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts