Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my new PCC9 Model 19100 (shoots great) at the indoor range my ear muffs get in the way.
*I have trouble getting a good cheek weld.
*I use foam plugs too but I could never keep them in place.
*Muffs keep getting in the way can't get a good sight picture!
*I am going through various ear plugs now and testing different makes.
Is there anything out on the market for ear protection that may help?
I am using iron sights(fiber optic on front). May try to get a red dot down the road but for SHTF gun I want my iron sights.

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Shootergranny..I have not tried some of those yet. I am having fun trying new plugs and I will look into some of these. Never tried the custom molded ear plugs. Thanks...

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have been using Otis Ear Shield for 4 years now. Mine are 31 NR. They will eliminate your problem. If you buy them. Understand that following the instruction for use is critical to performance. It is simple and critical. Some reviewers have panned them but in every case they clearly did not follow the instructions.

Bicycle part Rim Font Auto part Audio equipment

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,839 Posts
Here is a discussion from a couple months ago for the same issue. Might be worth a read.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
for rifle, I bought a set of the slim ear muffs that are designed for shotgun shooters. Much more compact than the Howard Leight active protection or the older passive protection muffs.

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
With my new PCC9 Model 19100 (shoots great) at the indoor range my ear muffs get in the way.
I am using iron sights(fiber optic on front). May try to get a red dot down the road but for SHTF gun I want my iron sights.
Rick ... i have the same issue, been looking at a set up that wrap around the back of my head, like the ones Hickcock45 uses in his videos

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have the same trouble. I have spent several thousand dollars in the last 10 years on all types of muffs and off the shelf plugs. The only thing that works for me are CUSTOM made plugs made by a local hearing aid company.

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
531 Posts
I use earmuffs most of the time just for shooting, but some of my rifle stocks have a tendency to bang into them.
mostly a problem when hunting. I also wanted foam plugs that were out of the way.

I found this type of foam plug come loose in my ears (they have a slick exterior):
Nail Font Thumb Tints and shades Peach

However, these older style foam plugs (same type I was issued in the army in the 70's) do not:
Food Rectangle Sugar Cuisine Ingredient

Reactions: MisterMills357

·
Registered
554 Posts
Have you tried any slimline long gun muffs? I double up indoors. I use whatever cheap plugs I have then use some Peltor active ear muffs over them. They're pretty slim and don't get in my way with rifles and shotguns.

Reactions: Steelburner

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,317 Posts
Back when I went into the Air Force in 1962, we had to qualify in basic training with M1 - 30 Carbines .... very loud, and no hearing protection was provided. Some people used F. Warren Zevon's technique of putting spent 30 Carb cases in their ears. Others broke off a filter from a fresh cigarette and crammed them in their ears. Back then, hearing protection was for sissies so I ended up with a major hearing loss. It finally got so bad where my wife said "If you say WHAT once more, I will beat you to death". I have been wearing hearing aids every since. My new hearing aids have an "anti tinnitus" feature that really helps prevent ringing in my ears.

When I shoot long guns, I use the waxed foam ear plugs and when I shoot handguns, I use amplified ear muffs. Of course I have to remove my hearing aids first.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
I can't recall how many times I've had this discussion with my fellow shooters. I also double up at the indoor range. I found the Surefire ones to fit the best and stay in the ear. I can use those alone shooting rifles outside. I don't care what brand or style of muffs I've tried, they always get pushed aside by the stock. Shooter Granny gave some options to try. My guess is the Walker line might be the way to go. I've been too cheap to try them. Good luck. I'll be interested to see if you find a solution.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I've been using these Peltor ear plugs for a few years, and I really like them. I double up when others are shooting rifles or heavy pistol calibers next to me, but they work well alone when I'm behind the sound source.
Liquid Cosmetics Yellow Drink Font

·
Registered
737 Posts
These are good because they have a firm center rod that helps inserting the foam or the silicone flaps, useful if one has problems inserting the foam from the regular ear plugs. And the NRR is very good.
Peripheral Green Output device Audio equipment Line

I've been using these Peltor ear plugs for a few years, and I really like them. I double up when others are shooting rifles or heavy pistol calibers next to me, but they work well alone when I'm behind the sound source.
View attachment 158892

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,333 Posts
When shooting a rifle I use Decibullz custom molded ear plugs in the ears, then double up with a thin profile muff that won't affect cheek weld.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I use an old set of ProEars or a pair of Stealth 20 from ProEars as well. Both sets are great for shooting and being able to hear your surroundings. The Stealths are what I'm currently using. Battery lasts about 16 hours so I just recharge it after every match. They are soft earplugs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts