Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Axil makes these noise canceling "earbuds" now. I love the sig branded muffs I have made by axil, but..
I learned recently I flinch firing without earpro, instinctually. So...
I am thinking I see folks with these types of gizmos in their ears all the time now.
Have any of the members of the greatest firearm forum in the world tried wearing these daily? Is that feasable or is this another hairbrained idea of mine that will just end up with lost expensive earplugs?

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Have any of the members of the greatest firearm forum in the world tried wearing these daily? We should ask them, LOL

I have no luck with any buds or plugs. Fanciest I've tried is Sonic Ear Valves. Plugs either won't stay in, or are uncomfortable. And muffs simply work better.
I use Howard Leight LOF passive muffs. They are shallow but work for me. I bought them when I had rifles, and should get the deeper ones now, but I'm too cheap.

Reactions: maddmatter1970

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have any of the members of the greatest firearm forum in the world tried wearing these daily? We should ask them, LOL

I have no luck with any buds or plugs. Fanciest I've tried is Sonic Ear Valves. Plugs either won't stay in, or are uncomfortable. And muffs simply work better.
I use Howard Leight LOF passive muffs. They are shallow but work for me. I bought them when I had rifles, and should get the deeper ones now, but I'm too cheap.
Yeah I love muffs and plugs for practice! But walking around all day with muffs on may draw a little too much attention!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm not sure I follow.

You flinch when you fire your gun without ear plugs... so you want to wear ear plugs all the time?

I don't get it.
I don't know which thing you don't get, but what you said is what I want, yes. Promised wife I would preserve what hearing I have left 15 or so years ago. So been wearing earpro while still training in the civilized world. Snapped a shot a week or so ago with no pro. Noticed bad flinch. I don't like flinches. I would like to keep promise to wife.
Is that more understandable? Sorry it seemed like you understood there. And like I said in the title, some may think its no big deal, I do though, so I figure someone else does too.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm still not sure I follow and I'm very sure I don't get it. :)

Couldn't you just wear hearing protection when you plan on shooting... and not wear hearing protection when you're not?

Are you in a situation where you routinely have to fire your gun without having time to equip your hearing protection? And this occurs often enough that it's a threat to your hearing and presumably practical to wear the plugs for hours/days at a time?

I don't get it.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm still not sure I follow and I'm very sure I don't get it. :)

Couldn't you just wear hearing protection when you plan on shooting... and not wear hearing protection when you're not?

Are you in a situation where you routinely have to fire your gun without having time to equip your hearing protection? And this occurs often enough that it's a threat to your hearing?

I don't get it.
Ahhh! yes. And moreover, my lifetime has taught me being prepared for the worst and hoping for the best is usually the winning plan.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
People are not running around town with hearing pro in their ears…. Ear buds for music, yes, but those look different. Would very many people notice if you did? Probably not, but I am still going to put it in the “hairbrained” idea category.
Yeah I think you are correct. When I hit a problem though, I try and solve it. Will keep working it!

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I keep foam plugs in my pocket most of the time I am doing anything that might involve noise. I wear them anytime I mow, operate machinery, or ride my motorcycle. I use noise cancelling technology when I hunt or target shoot.

In the very remote chance I need to defend myself, ear pro is the last thing on my mind.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I keep foam plugs in my pocket most of the time I am doing anything that might involve noise. I wear them anytime I mow, operate machinery, or ride my motorcycle. I use noise cancelling technology when I hunt or target shoot.

In the very remote chance I need to defend myself, ear pro is the last thing on my mind.
Used to be mine too, until last week when I failed a presurre test! But sa la vi. <sp> some problems are more challenging than others to solve in a good way. This is a fun one for me to tackle, and mayhapst it will lead somewhere

·
Super Moderator
6,125 Posts
I haven’t tried them, but I see all the new ear plugs that noice cancel and have blue tooth. If you are a person who already walks around with ear buds in or a blue tooth hands free for your phone, they might be worth looking into. However, if you are ever in a defensive situation, ear pro will be the furthest thing from your mind. It won’t be good for your ears, but chances are you will be fine, even if it comes down to actually having to fire a shot.
As for the flinch, let me ask you this. Are you a hunter? Do you still flinch when your mind is occupied with the task as hand? And that is the other side of it. While I have moved to ear pro while hunting, for decades I didn’t. All the rifle rounds, all the shotgun rounds with no ear pro have not damaged my hearing in any meaningful way based on annual hearing checks at my various employers. So based on that, I am not overly worried about my hearing in the extremely low probability that I will need to fire my gun in an SD situation, and if I do, I will choose the potential of some slight hearing damage as a small price to pay to be able to walk away with my life.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven’t tried them, but I see all the new ear plugs that noice cancel and have blue tooth. If you are a person who already walks around with ear buds in or a blue tooth hands free for your phone, they might be worth looking into. However, if you are ever in a defensive situation, ear pro will be the furthest thing from your mind. It won’t be good for your ears, but chances are you will be fine, even if it comes down to actually having to fire a shot.
As for the flinch, let me ask you this. Are you a hunter? Do you still flinch when your mind is occupied with the task as hand? And that is the other side of it. While I have moved to ear pro while hunting, for decades I didn’t. All the rifle rounds, all the shotgun rounds with no ear pro have not damaged my hearing in any meaningful way based on annual hearing checks at my various employers. So based on that, I am not overly worried about my hearing in the extremely low probability that I will need to fire my gun in an SD situation, and if I do, I will choose the potential of some slight hearing damage as a small price to pay to be able to walk away with my life.
Well, since you asked, here is the whole story. I shot till the age of 32 with no ear protection believing it was "for sissies" I was 32 in 2002. I had at that point been firing guns for 22 some odd years no earpro. Got married to a wonderful woman who likes to talk to my crazy, messed up self. She said my past had robbed my hearing. I said "darlin, I will never stop shooting or being around metal cutting" she said fine wear ear pro. Did. Then as stated, in 2022 I popped a 9mm off for the first time without it at a critter. Tagged critter 1shot 1 kill, but noticed a severe flinch I had NEVER had at the noise. I would not have made a follow up....
So yes I hunt with electronic ear pro cause I like the bionic ear side effect they have.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I wouldn’t make major decisions based on one flinch. Nor would I ever consider wearing hearing protection 24/7 just in case a bad guy attacks. I think that’s the question, but I was confused too.

I do sometimes wear foam earplugs in bed when my wife snores. I sleep better with them in.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If it ever comes down to where you need to use the gun in a hurry you won't even notice.

Several years ago in Alaska a guy was charged by an old grizzly and had a Ruger Alaskan in .454 I believe and dumped it all in it as fast as he could pull the trigger.
Didn't seem to be bothered by the noise and blast and dropped it right in front of him.

Guarantee that you wouldn't do that at the firing line without a bucket of Adrenalin first.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yeah, when I was a kid, we never wore any kind of ear protection, and I can still remember a day of sighting in a 30-06 with my dad, that still affects me to this day.

I hate ear plugs of any kind and I've never been able to get comfortable with any of them. I greatly prefer a good set of muffs and own several from some lightweights for shooting .22s to a serious set of the electronic Howard Leight's with the highest db ratings I could find. I even have a sweet set of HL's with a built-in radio that I always use when on the lawn tractor or using most any power tools.

I know the muffs can get kinda hot these days, so I always take along at least two pair and keep a small towel on the bench.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The only plug types I use now are Surefire Sonic Defender EP10.
They stay in and don't bother me, I wear them under muffs when shooting .308 and always have a set on me.
And some Walker electronic ones that I like when wearing a brimmed hat and don't need to double up.

One thing with plugs, if you wear them daily clean the potatoes out of your ears or you just pack the ear canal with wax.
Then you have a massive earache and they have to pull wads of wax out of it out.
Kinda gross and a bit uncomfortable, so I've heard.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts