Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For over 20 years I have been up before the crack of dawn. I would have the coffee pot ready the nite before, I would get my shower and shave. Get my uniform on and then head for that first cup of coffee. I swing by our son's room and there would be him and his dog in bed sleeping soundly I pat the boys butt and kiss on the head and pat the dogs head she would roll over had to have that morning belly rub. I would go by our bed room kiss the wife bye and then head for the kitchen fill the thermos put my cowboy hat on and take my boots outside to put them on. The sounds of those spurs woke the wife up. I would go by the front office get the mail for the field office get the turnouts and make copies for all the squads. As I drove by the pasture my Babe Gurl would be there waitting for me. She knew daddy would be there soon and she wanted her morning carrot.
I always had her carrots and a little extra grain so she would munch while I curried her and brushed her checked her hoove daily and combed her tail and then saddled her. I gave her enough time to enjoy her grain that morning before I gave her the bit.
I would then throw the reins over the saddle horn and she would walk on my right side to the office. I would tie her to the hitching post and she would wait there while I had a quick bite to eat and then I was off to draw all the weapons for the boss's and would load them for them while I waited for them to come out. Once they road by me and got their weapon from me. I would ride over to the corner of the fense and watch them turn out counting each one as they pasted the turn out officer.
As the field force would head for a certain field that we was working that day I would ride a trail that I could always see them. I could always see the inmates looking around to see where I was going to be and I was never where they thought I was going to be.
Seems like a hundred years ago, when it was only a few years ago. Strange how time does that to ya at times.
Just a few passing thoughts that I thought I would share with ya'll.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Keep sharing them thought and pictures--that is what they are for is sharing.
So many people work a "job" and only get by doin what they have to and really hate it--even well payin jobs making mucho denaro.
You sir took yours seriously and made a profession out of hard work for many a year.
Nothing wrong in pride in a days work.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
+1 on Deputy125's post!!!!!! It ain't about the job, it's about the man doin' it...proud of ya, Snuffy!!![^]

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank ya'll, I am very proud of the fact that no one has ever escaped from me in over 28 years. Well a recorded like that its just un thinkable that I would ever let my guard down now. After all its what I get paid for doing the job and doing it right the first time.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
It's stories like that that make me glad I'm a member here, along with all of you other good people! :) Thank's for shareing Snuffy.[8D]

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No your right I wouldn't have lived it any other way. The sad part is that I have retired and went back to work for the system but I am not in the field any more. I work at the Trustee Camp these days. i have had the Capt. several Lt's that have aked me to go back the the field but I can't work with the people that are out there.
They have don't good work habits ( all female) and they seem to call in sick if they don't get there way. I did more than anyone else out there to make sure it all ran smooth, I am proud of the work that I have done for them in thenpast. We have a new sgt. at the Camp and he tells me the day I call in sick he knows the world is coming to an end lol. And there also as he has told me I do more than my share, sure I do and I never say a word about it. When I ask for a day of they break their backs to see to it that I get it.
I do my job well as I never want anyone to ever have a reason to complain, I enjoy the fact that when I am asked if something was completed I can tell them your behind me I have completed that task and have moved on to the next task. Really its the look on their face to actually see that there is someone that can complete all tasks laid out before them and find time to do more.
When I do finally leave the state for good this next time they wil not so much miss me they will miss the work that I was able to complete in the 8 hours and 45 minutes alotted for 2 shifts work.
I am sure many if not all of you have much higher standards for yourself rather than the folks you work for do. For me its simple I don't like to be told what to do, I like to have it completed before they ask if it was completed.
My parents always told me do the very best you can each and everyday of your life, don't be the one that has to be told what to do all the time be ahead of the game. Once the work is completed then you have time to rest.
Having been lucky enough to be born on the farm the work is never completed to the point where ya have more to do and if ya don't complete your work today its waitting for you the next morning along with that days works. Its not so much speed as it is steady set a pace and keep to that pace and before ya know it the work is completed.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Snuffy, you are so right - it's difficult to keep one's ideals and work ethic when one is employed by the bureaucratic cluster*#[email protected] that is the Dept. of Corrections. So many get by with simply "doing their eight and hitting the gate". And it is so true that the more incompetent one is, the faster and higher they promote, in so many cases. My dad taught me that after you collect your pay check on Friday, come Monday you have to prove yourself all over again. Too many people hide behind their contract, thinking that they are untouchable. And the rest of us end up pulling their weight. Ah, don't let me get started. Yours is a positive post, I'll not turn it into a rant of my own. Hats off to you for being a man among men and job well done for so many years.

Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you wolfsong

1 - 13 of 13 Posts