Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Googled several listings that seem to establish that the original price of an 1873 Colt Single Action Army was $17.00. I can't seem to find anything about other firearms, but it's safe to assume others were in that ballpark.

I can't find anything about ammo prices in that era. Based on the SAA price tag, I would guess that a 50 round box of .45 Colt would have been a dollar or two. If it even came in 50 round boxes?

It does seem though, that in those un-automated days, ammo production would have been labor intensive. Something like using a single stage press. That may have made it more expensive?

Anybody know more about Civil War to 1900 gun and ammo prices?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Watched Gun Stories last week. It was on the original Colt 1911. One of the guys interviewed, grandfather, bought one for $15.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Things were automated by 73 but it was water power running everything. The NRA was selling military surpluss 1911's for 25.00 into the early 1960's. A twenty five dollar gold piece would get you a colt,holster and box of shells.Up untill the 1980's a 1873 twenty five dollar gold piece and a 1873 still brought equal dollars for equal condition.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Interesting too is to find an online calculator that translates past dollars amounts into current dollar equivalents.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts