Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just in case anyone wants to enjoy the thrill of Tijuana street tacos...thought I'd give you a taste of what lies in wait just about a half hour from my house...Sort of like sky diving..if your chute opens it's ok but if not..you get to stay up all night....ole'

https://youtu.be/gcFUCbvZM1U

https://youtu.be/-80vXmwKl1E

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
319 Posts
Lol, those guys probably owned the Chipotle franchises we had problems with around here a while ago.

Seriously, the closest thing we have for "authentic Mexican street food" in my part of the world is taco bell...ole!

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol, those guys probably owned the Chipotle franchises we had problems with around here a while ago.

Seriously, the closest thing we have for "authentic Mexican street food" in my part of the world is taco bell...ole!
Taco Bell is a phone company

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
:confused: Question .... Was it a 3 alarm or a 4 alarm hot night ?

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Yeah, spent some time doing some work in Tijuana 20 years ago. Visited a street stand about every other evening. Never had any idea what I was eating, but there did seem to be fewer stray dogs in the neighborhood as the week went by!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Spent some time down there and south of Ensenda ate all kinds of stuff from those Taco stands that were not as nice as the ones in the videos , tasted good and I never got sick but only drank Cokes/Tequila or beer, was more worried about pickpockets, learned to carry wallet in front pocket.

·
Banned
365 Posts
Were these the Chipotle training films smuggled out from the corporate offices in the middle of the night for "safety reasons"?

This looks like many of the taco stands I use to see in Nogales, Mexico. I would eat at the ones I deemed clean, but others were terrible. These ones don't look bad, but I have seen some that were disaster areas, to say the least. I knew of one in Nogales that used real burro meat in their burritos. Everybody I knew that ate there got violently sick and now brays on a regular basis (j/k on the braying).

I was always practicing "situation awareness" as I was walking around the town, especially the last few times I was there. Always wondered when something would happen. Haven't been back for over ten years.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
My father-in-law was an American working in Mexico. (Puebla) My wife grew up there.
We all gathered in Puebla for a wedding many years ago, and someone showed up one evening with a big bag of tamales from a street vendor. (Think, NY City hotdog cart.) OMG, they were good!
There's some people selling them roadside here in town that we see occasionally... 12 for $12... They are addictive!
And if you've ever eaten in a restaurant that's off the beaten path in Mexico, (Where the locals go.) you know that..........
Taco Bell is NOT Mexican food! :cool:

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,335 Posts
Chef Rick Bayless features them on his show. I should have brought my passport last time I was in San Diego.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Chef Rick Bayless features them on his show. I should have brought my passport last time I was in San Diego.
These stands are in Zona Norte in Tijuana...that's no place to go...period...these old vids were the way it was some time back but "no mas"...Zona Norte is lined with filth, cartel "business", sex parlors, cheap bars and "by the hour" hotels, drug dealers and crooked cops...The street vendors and the food is a disaster area...My post was all just in fun..we don't wander over any more..not for anything...got friends that go there (better parts of town) for dental and minor medical things but I got no use there...

Want good Mexican food in the San Diego area?? there are several clean and safe street taco joints in some of the border cities...great food and no hassles...best around...We took some friends that live in the Mid West to a "taco crawl" and thought we'd never get them to leave..it's like me when I get to where there is a White Castle (none here)...I can't get enough.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,335 Posts
These stands are in Zona Norte in Tijuana...that's no place to go...period...these old vids were the way it was some time back but "no mas"...Zona Norte is lined with filth, cartel "business", sex parlors, cheap bars and "by the hour" hotels, drug dealers and crooked cops...The street vendors and the food is a disaster area...My post was all just in fun..we don't wander over any more..not for anything...got friends that go there (better parts of town) for dental and minor medical things but I got no use there...

Want good Mexican food in the San Diego area?? there are several clean and safe street taco joints in some of the border cities...great food and no hassles...best around...We took some friends that live in the Mid West to a "taco crawl" and thought we'd never get them to leave..it's like me when I get to where there is a White Castle (none here)...I can't get enough.
Oh :eek: thanks for the warning.

·
Pony Soldier
8,552 Posts
The guy in the first video is smooth, no wasted motion there!!

Greg

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Love the guy throwing the beans.
If I tried that the beans would be all over me, the wall and the floor. ... :D

The second video referenced an address near Los Angeles.
Looked it up on Google Maps and its at Avalon Blvd @ Slauson Ave in downtown L.A.
One of my favorite areas. ... :rolleyes:
Check it out:
Estilo tijuana. Los angeles CA

·
Registered
319 Posts
Got a hankering for chili, gonna get me a big ole can of red beans and dump them in a can of hormel chili. We easterners love that chili & beans. Yee haw, life is good. :cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts