Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen many posts on issues with lc9, lc9s and a couple on EC9s, having issues with misfeeds, failures to feed and so forth. I have not seen any answers where people have found out what exactly the issue is, nor how to fix it.

In my case, on my 4 month old EC-9s it worked fine until about 4 weeks ago. I shoot about 50 rounds per week from 6 magazines in rotation. one is USA made and 5 are italy made. This occurs with all types of ammo round nose, flat nose, hollow point, etc. It also occurs with reloads or factory loads, standard loads and +P. I am a detail cleaner cleaning my pistol after every range visit. This never occurs with first rounds, and I have found that if I load only 6 or 5 in the mag, it functions fine. These are all 7 round mags with the flat floor plate. I fully clean the mags after 5 uses. I use alcohol to clean out crud, blow dry, and reassemble with a touch of graphite.

Have I missed anythings here? Do any of you have any suggestions for me to try in order to fix this troubling issue?

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,620 Posts
Let me know what you come up with. Sorry about your issues. I bought my EC9s earlier this year and took several months to practice and get used to it. I trust it and it works good for me. Surprised at how accurate it is after grip and trigger practice.
My EC9s has 650+ rounds through it with no issues or failures. I Rotate 6 mags, 2 7rnd US, 2 7rnd Italy and 2 9rnd US extended. It eats any ammo and has become good trusty firearm for me. Just getting started to work with mine. Good luck and I hope you get some answers.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I fixed my LC9s by trading it in on a shotgun. It went back to Ruger after only a couple of weeks, safety lever would engage while firing. Ruger fixes it & has it back to me in 8 days. Then the recoil rod assemblies start to fly apart. Ruger sends me new ones twice but decided to get a Galloway Precision recoil setup, the Galloway fixes the recoil rod issues. The whole time I’m pumping rds through this thing to test reliability. I run store bought factory ammo, as I’m not a reloader; of all types including defense ammo. Kept having ftf’s & fte’s more so with my American made 9rd mags (had 4 of them) than the Italian made 7rd mags (had 4 of them). I ran well over a 1000rds through the thing making sure it wasn’t a break in issue. I really loved how the pistol shot! Felt great in my hand, excellent smooth crisp trigger, & I was impressed by how accurate I was with it. Even had night sites put on it, I really wanted it to work out for me. Just couldn’t trust it with the random malfunctions. Like I said the 7rd Italian mags worked better for me but even they had malfunctions intermittently. I also cleaned that pistol & the mags more than I’ve cleaned my other firearms, still had issues weather it was clean or not. Maybe I should’ve sent it back to Ruger again but decided to just quit while I’m ahead. I decided that my shield .40 suits my single stack needs. I have a Sig P290 but don’t ever carry it (it’s been a nightmare as well), just haven’t traded it off yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I have seen many posts on issues with lc9, lc9s and a couple on EC9s, having issues with misfeeds, failures to feed and so forth. I have not seen any answers where people have found out what exactly the issue is, nor how to fix it.

In my case, on my 4 month old EC-9s it worked fine until about 4 weeks ago. I shoot about 50 rounds per week from 6 magazines in rotation. one is USA made and 5 are italy made. This occurs with all types of ammo round nose, flat nose, hollow point, etc. It also occurs with reloads or factory loads, standard loads and +P. I am a detail cleaner cleaning my pistol after every range visit. This never occurs with first rounds, and I have found that if I load only 6 or 5 in the mag, it functions fine. These are all 7 round mags with the flat floor plate. I fully clean the mags after 5 uses. I use alcohol to clean out crud, blow dry, and reassemble with a touch of graphite.

Have I missed anythings here? Do any of you have any suggestions for me to try in order to fix this troubling issue?

thanks in advance.
Take a look at the leading edge of the feed ramp. My LC9s Pro had feeding issues about 100 rounds out of the box. Ruger ground down and polished the feed ramp but the issue remained. I sent the firearm back several more times but the CYOA in the repair dept was on full display blaming me for not being able to handle the pistol. When cleaning the pistol under a hard light I saw the C shaped glide path the round was taking into the breech and the slight unevenness of the leading edge. The bullet was being pushed and impacting the middle, high right side of the feed ramp then being shoved back to the left maring the ramp. Finally had to send an image to the CS supervisor for yet another service. They replaced the barrel and things are running well now. So you might check the feed ramp for an unusual bullet path into the breech.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take a look at the leading edge of the feed ramp. My LC9s Pro had feeding issues about 100 rounds out of the box. Ruger ground down and polished the feed ramp but the issue remained. I sent the firearm back several more times but the CYOA in the repair dept was on full display blaming me for not being able to handle the pistol. When cleaning the pistol under a hard light I saw the C shaped glide path the round was taking into the breech and the slight unevenness of the leading edge. The bullet was being pushed and impacting the middle, high right side of the feed ramp then being shoved back to the left maring the ramp. Finally had to send an image to the CS supervisor for yet another service. They replaced the barrel and things are running well now. So you might check the feed ramp for an unusual bullet path into the breech.
Thanks very much, I will take a look after this morning range visit. BTW, I called Ruger yesterday, they are sending me replacement magazines, and I will send mine to them for examination. I will post if either your suggestion or rugers "fix" works.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Thanks very much, I will take a look after this morning range visit. BTW, I called Ruger yesterday, they are sending me replacement magazines, and I will send mine to them for examination. I will post if either your suggestion or rugers "fix" works.
Yeah, they sent me a few mag replacements but when they told me it was my fault I just kept them. SMH They did have a mag problem when they changed manufactures but I think that has long since been resolved. It's frustrating but my wife bought me the gun for Christmas so I was determined to find the issue, took a while but the gun is working great now that the new barrel is broke in. Keep working them over until they find the issue. :)

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
your suggestion did not help much, one of the three seemed marginally better. I received 3 new mags from Ruger last week and fired 100 rounds through them with no failures at all. I will return to the range this week with another hundred rounds and report on that. thanks for your support.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,620 Posts
paulkalman, hope you continue to have better luck with new mags. Keep us informed on your next range visit. Practice/Practice/Practice. After some grip and trigger training I like my EC9s for CC. I have become a big fan of these little Rugers and I am surprised at how much I like it. I rotate 6 mags when training and can depend on all of them. Just now breaking in a third extended mag to make it 7 reliable mags. It took me several visits to range to get used to the smaller EC9s and now I can trust it.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
your suggestion did not help much, one of the three seemed marginally better. I received 3 new mags from Ruger last week and fired 100 rounds through them with no failures at all. I will return to the range this week with another hundred rounds and report on that. thanks for your support.
another return to the range today. I now have 2 fully functional and 3 partly functional mags. (including the 3 new ones sent). I still have an issue where almost all of the time the 3 partly functional (I say this as they now do not always have my issue which is failure to cycle fully after the first round and sometimes the fourth round) I have found what is for me a solution which works. I now only load 6 rounds and they cycle perfectly every single time. Is this a perfect solution? NO. Is it more acceptable than sending my pistol in to Ruger for maybe a fix and maybe not? YOU BET IT IS. Am I a happy customer? No, not really. but that's the way it is on Thursday afternoon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had numerous problems with feeds, slide locking back with ammo still in mag, ejections, and so on. Was back 4 times for these problems. Last time back Ruger REPLACED THE SLIDE. Since then I have fired 1,156 rounds with ZERO problems .......... For LC9S

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
another return to the range today. I now have 2 fully functional and 3 partly functional mags. (including the 3 new ones sent). I still have an issue where almost all of the time the 3 partly functional (I say this as they now do not always have my issue which is failure to cycle fully after the first round and sometimes the fourth round) I have found what is for me a solution which works. I now only load 6 rounds and they cycle perfectly every single time. Is this a perfect solution? NO. Is it more acceptable than sending my pistol in to Ruger for maybe a fix and maybe not? YOU BET IT IS. Am I a happy customer? No, not really. but that's the way it is on Thursday afternoon.
Take a look at the feed ramp under a bare bulb light, rotate the barrel and see if you can see the bullet nose path, it should be fairly straight into the breach. If the path is off then the feed ramp might be uneven from the manufacturing polish.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Take a look at the feed ramp under a bare bulb light, rotate the barrel and see if you can see the bullet nose path, it should be fairly straight into the breach. If the path is off then the feed ramp might be uneven from the manufacturing polish.
mine has been polished and trued by a good gunsmith.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hope you get it figured out.
amen!, me too. for me, I will be satisfied if my 6 rounds loaded scheme gives me perfect loading. I will not be sending in a firearm for something so small. If it doesn't that is a whole nother story. news as events unfold

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
amen!, me too. for me, I will be satisfied if my 6 rounds loaded scheme gives me perfect loading. I will not be sending in a firearm for something so small. If it doesn't that is a whole nother story. news as events unfold
Have you done a side by side assembled/disassembled magazine parts comparison? I also had the wobble in the guide rod...

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you done a side by side assembled/disassembled magazine parts comparison? I also had the wobble in the guide rod...
yes, and reassembled them with each others parts as well. my guide rod seems fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No feed issues here.

I have the ec9s and have never had a failure to feed. Ball and hollow point all work perfectly. I have, however, gently polished my feed ramp. Even before that I had no failures to feed or extract. What I did have was an occasional premature slide lock. The cause was that some bullet profiles acted to make contact with the slide lock tab inside that sits near the feed ramp. Once I switched to Magtech ball for range work, and Hornady CD 110 grain it has functioned flawlessly. The bullet profile misses the slide lock tab and I have had not problems since. Great, reliable, and accuracy CC gun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No issues here

I picked up my EC9s on Friday while it was on sale. Went to the range on Sunday and put 100 ends of Blazer Ammo through it. Not a single Feed or Eject issue. I did do a full breakdown and cleaning before hand and a liberal oiling as well.

I do know that in other small frame .380 and 9mm pistols they are sensitive to grip issues.

Not sure where the issues lies but a number of people at my range own and fire the EC9s without issues.

MikeC

1 - 19 of 19 Posts