Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have shot around 850 rounds through it with normal remington umc and the jhp version it shoots fine, I have been shooting a handload which according to the load data is a +p variant for defensive use. I find that sometimes when shooting the slide is locking back. Could this be because of the +p bullet itself and the associated forces on the gun causing the slide to lock? I originally tried repositioning my hand thinking it was my thumb but its still happening even with my thumb completely away from the assembly.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
124 Posts
Since factory ammo shoots ok and your handloads are when problem happens, your loads certainly have something to do with that. Small pistols are tougher to hold with less real estate to place controls and moving parts, making it easier to be touching something causing slide lock.

You could also try getting some factory +P ammo and see if it recurs.

Can you get someone else to shoot same setup that gives you problems?

Is the slide lock loose/floppy? 850 rounds is not a huge amount, but might be enough to loosen things.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had my wife shoot it and its happening to her also. I completely forgot to try with factory +p ammo but will definitely try some and see. With my normal practice reloads it does it works fine. Going to give it another try and see next time im out at the range.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
What does your hand load consist of? The OAL, powder, bullet, casings primer. Also the prep of the casings, as well as what your using to develop the loads?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What does your hand load consist of? The OAL, powder, bullet, casings primer. Also the prep of the casings, as well as what your using to develop the loads?
147gr bullet berrys hhp plated
Federal Cases once fired, wet tumbled and dried in dehydrator
cci spp
5.2gr true blue
C OAL 1.085
Average Vel from 14 shots 894

all loaded by hand weighed on a scale and digital scale to ensure proper load.
was developed using a smith and Wesson M&P Shield as a test gun.

have only ran 100 of these rounds through the gun to test for functionality and kept getting the slide locking back on the first 50 the second 50 I only had it lock back once which was after I tried putting my thumb over my support hand thumb but it maybe my palm is hitting the slide lock.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The manual on the EC9S says +P load are OK for slight use. A steady diet of =P will damage the pistol.
yep usually use a plinking load which is light using tite group and berrys 124gr rn plated. or remington umc 115gr.

I dont like torturing guns unless testing the rounds for functionality.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts