Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
So I have carried my Ec9s now for around a year. I have put 850 rounds through it. Here is the pros and cons I have found.

With sweaty hands the grip is slippery, tried adding a hogue grip but it still happends thinking about adding some grip tape to it to see if it helps.

With normal practice loads I have no issues with the gun. With self defense loads in normal pressures I find that the recoil is a little more and it cause my palm to ride up and hit the slide lock. Have tried every different grip but hopefully grip tape will fix this.

I find that inserting the magazine sometime if its not at a firm pressure it hangs up.

Idk why this happends but it has only happen to me once last night. The take down pin window spring got stuck and was not able to remove the pin. Had to remove the window , unjam and lube the spring to get it to work good again.

The gun is light and I am able to pocket carry easily.

The gun runs very good for the price and I would not hesitate to buy another one.

·
Registered
119 Posts
So I have carried my Ec9s now for around a year. I have put 850 rounds through it. Here is the pros and cons I have found.

With sweaty hands the grip is slippery, tried adding a hogue grip but it still happends thinking about adding some grip tape to it to see if it helps.

With normal practice loads I have no issues with the gun. With self defense loads in normal pressures I find that the recoil is a little more and it cause my palm to ride up and hit the slide lock. Have tried every different grip but hopefully grip tape will fix this.

I find that inserting the magazine sometime if its not at a firm pressure it hangs up.

Idk why this happends but it has only happen to me once last night. The take down pin window spring got stuck and was not able to remove the pin. Had to remove the window , unjam and lube the spring to get it to work good again.

The gun is light and I am able to pocket carry easily.

The gun runs very good for the price and I would not hesitate to buy another one.
Weird on the Hogue grip being slippery. You might try a Pachmyr grip before taping: its rubber is a little more pliable. It is pretty cheap (no more than $10) and not as hard to install and take off as the Hogue beavertail.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Liquitex Heavy Body artists' acrylic titanium white is still sticking to the front sight of an Airweight 38 after a year of pocket carry in the subtropics. 91% Isopropyl takes it off if you stop liking it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I appreciate the continued suggestions re sight painting. I won't make a decision until I get it -- of course -- but I'll revisit this thread to review when I do. I can see several potential options here.

Originally, I thought maybe a bright red front post and the two squared ears on the rear with bright white -- something like Testors. (I've got a couple of 2 oz bottles on my list at Amazon.) I have to be mindful of the fact that we have snow cover here constantly 4 - 5 months of the year. No bare ground from say mid-November to mid-April. I fear a white front sight would get lost in all that white. (We're getting another 5-6" today on top of about 5 that was dropped a week ago. Winter has officially begun.)

Now, with other colors and types of paints recommended (and fingernail polish! I like that idea too!), I'll have to think some once I get it.

I do have one question about the Hogue beavertail grips.
I put a set of those -- 18400 -- on my list also. But I noticed the others of different colors like I posted earlier in this thread all have very similar numbers starting with 1840x, like 18401, 18402, etc.

I can't see any substantive difference in size, shape, etc. And they all claim they'll fit the LC9's.

Is there some reason they wouldn't work? Am I missing something?

I'm asking because I'd really like to put either OD green or desert tan grips on it. Probably OD green to match the color of the Hogue overmolded stock that I want to put on my 10-22 eventually.

This blue one looks pretty cool, also.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Holsters for an EC9

Next topic. I've learned over the decades that holsters are a very personal choice. Some like IWB, some OWB, some like pocket, or something else.

I'm an OWB guy only. Even with lightweights like the SW642, which many pocket carry, I carried mine in an OWB. Because I'm a smaller person, and thin, pocket carry -- even of a mouse gun -- makes me look like I've got a cheeseburger in my pocket.

Also because I'm thin -- and have little fat on the bones -- IWB is not comfortable. Plus, I carry a pack everywhere I go -- woods, downtown, where ever, and IWB didn't work for me.

So you may write of your IWB -- no issue with that; post away. Others may find it of value. But I'm only looking for an OWB holster.

I wish I could remember exactly which holster I had with my LC9s, because I really liked it -- it carried very well -- and was not terribly expensive. I don't. I'm fairly sure it was all leather, but I'm not stuck to leather.

In fact, this one is on my list: half leather, half kydex.

But I'm wide open to suggestions.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I went through a progression of holsters when I got the EC/LC9s guns.

First was a Blade Tech Klipt IWB, no cant- Not bad but sweat shield poked me. Never did trim it. Sits in drawer.

Second was a Pro Carry LT IWB, no cant- Tried for IWB and AIWB carry. Found I didn't like AIWB. Sweat shield would fold over top of gun. Two hands to reholster. Sits in drawer

After trying appendix and IWB with both prior holsters I found I needed a holster with a cant for IWB.

Third IWB was a ebay holster from je tactical holsters, Adjustable cant - black carbon kydex model.
Winner winner!! This is the one I use for IWB now.

Fourth holster was a DeSantis E-Gat for OWB, no cant - Carries well. Nice leather holster. Used occasionally.

Fifth holster was a Tagua OWB Dual Snap holster, slight cant - Nice inexpensive holster that can be removed without removing belt. Used more often if carrying OWB.

Fact is, I carry the EC/LC9s IWB with the JE Tactical holster 99% of the time.

If I am carrying OWB I will carry my full sized hi-cap. 9mm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Still seeing a lot of (NIB) LC9s' on the web (i.e. gunbroker), mid 2's. The lc9s has the adjustable sites, of which the rear can be used to rack. Of course add the Hogue. Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
EC9s returned

I have two EC9s. I really like them. My first one went back to Ruger for repair three times, the first two times for a broken striker. Ruger replaced the slide and striker assembly both times. The third time I sent it back was for a stuck slide and barrel. When I first purchased the gun and before I ever fired it, the slide got stuck when I field stripped it. I called Ruger and was instructed by a tech to bash the slide with a rubber mallet until it returned to its proper place, which I did (I did not feel a bit comfortable with that procedure). That procedure did not work this time. So back to Ruger it went for the third time. Ruger decided to destroy the pistol and send me a replacement. Both the replacement and the new one I bought had the frequent problem of failure to feed. Ruger had me send both of them back. They've both been repaired and seem to function flawlessly now. I've also sent my Security 9 back four times for repair and my LCP II back twice for repair. Talk about quality control! I must say that Ruger customer service is superb. Each and every time they were concerned, courteous and very helpful. I've also had to send back a Mossberg MC1sc (failure to return to full battery after firing). I have a Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS and a Sig Sauer P320 XCompact. I prefer my Security 9 to those two quality guns. I can shoot it more accurately, and the same is true for the EC9s.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Friday night, just after midnight. Long day in the studio. Productive.

Reading here. A bit concerned by the malfs and QC in the EC9,
but confident the co will fix them if they pop up.
Hopefully not. Can't wait to own one.

But tonight, I'm caught up in bratwurst tacos w/ cheese and onion,
some vodka with orange juice, and Netflix with a side of Youtube music.
<See The Eagles Hotel California live 1977 or so.>

So, I'll get back to you.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Saturday afternoon. I've been thinking more today about the problems in the EC9 reported in this thread and others that I've read, especially the ones that required sending it to Ruger twice or even three times to solve. I think the issue for me is not so much sending it back, but having to do so multiple times. I'm no gunsmith and I don't play one on the Internet, but that just doesn't seem right. I trust Ruger to make it right -- I know from personal experience and everything I've read over the years that they will -- but why is it so hard to fix a problem the first time? Am I missing something? Being unreasonable?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I believe you're overthinking it. I've never had to send my Ec9s back to Ruger. It's been flawless. Some people have, but it appears to be a small number based on what I've read on this and other forums. You could have a problem with ANY firearm you buy and another company would likely not have Ruger's excellent CS.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Indeed, I am thinking about it -- as I am prone to do; it's the way we work in the sciences (in which I'm heavily trained and still practice professionally) -- but it's not "overthinking". Actually, in my experience as an educator for 5 decades, I've observed that in the modern world, people are under-thinking issues -- don't get me started. So to them, my thinking appears to be overthinking. It's all relative. :rolleyes:

And to be clear, my questions about repair issues posted just earlier will NOT influence my choice to buy one. I will buy one. Like I've written earlier, I trust Ruger 100%. It's literally the only brand of gun I'll buy now. (There are other factors, including cost, but reliability and dependable repair are top.)

Instead, this is pure curiosity about why it sometimes takes two or three trip back to the shop to fix a problem. I'm trying to learn something here. That's the life-long student in me. You can't learn as well if you don't ask questions.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I believe you're overthinking it. I've never had to send my Ec9s back to Ruger. It's been flawless. Some people have, but it appears to be a small number based on what I've read on this and other forums. You could have a problem with ANY firearm you buy and another company would likely not have Ruger's excellent CS.

Totally agree. Mine has been flawless. It’s my favorite CCW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Indeed, I am thinking about it -- as I am prone to do; it's the way we work in the sciences (in which I'm heavily trained and still practice professionally) -- but it's not "overthinking". Actually, in my experience as an educator for 5 decades, I've observed that in the modern world, people are under-thinking issues -- don't get me started. So to them, my thinking appears to be overthinking. It's all relative. :rolleyes:

And to be clear, my questions about repair issues posted just earlier will NOT influence my choice to buy one. I will buy one. Like I've written earlier, I trust Ruger 100%. It's literally the only brand of gun I'll buy now. (There are other factors, including cost, but reliability and dependable repair are top.)

Instead, this is pure curiosity about why it sometimes takes two or three trip back to the shop to fix a problem. I'm trying to learn something here. That's the life-long student in me. You can't learn as well if you don't ask questions.
Alright then. Good luck with your quest.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks, Shane1.

After the last few years,
I'll take the luck.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I just spoke with the proprietor of the only gun shop in town. It's not my favorite shop -- that one's in the next town over -- but closest, and easiest for me to get to.

He's got two EC9's on the way, should be there today or tomorrow. I'll walk over and take a look later this week.

He's pricing them at $249, which seems reasonable. I'm sure the other shop can beat that price, but he's closed today.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I love my ec9s. Carry it everyday. As far as buying one I would search on line. Someone had them for 175 on black friday and just saw one for under 200 shipped.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Saturday afternoon. I've been thinking more today about the problems in the EC9 reported in this thread and others that I've read, especially the ones that required sending it to Ruger twice or even three times to solve. I think the issue for me is not so much sending it back, but having to do so multiple times. I'm no gunsmith and I don't play one on the Internet, but that just doesn't seem right. I trust Ruger to make it right -- I know from personal experience and everything I've read over the years that they will -- but why is it so hard to fix a problem the first time? Am I missing something? Being unreasonable?
In another post a person says you might be overthinking the situation, I tend to agree. The differences between the LC9s (which I believe you had at one time) and the EC9 are small. New models of both are still available.

I've had an LC9s for 5-6 years now. Fired just under 2400 rounds without any problems other than my thumb hit the slide lock lever and kept the sslide locked back before the mag was empty a couple of times. No trips back to the factory.

As to people who have had to send their firearms back to the factory multiple times, for a person like you, who is professionally trained in the sciences, there are some fair asumptions that can be made. Especially when that person has multiple other brands of firearms that had to go back to the factory several times each.

1. The person is extremely unlucky and buys only crappy rejects. They should never play the lottery.

2. They have some kind of issue with firearm handling or maintenance, or

3. There really is something wrong. (the fact that they have had similar problems with multiple other manufacturer's firearms makes me lean towards items 1 or 2, though.

Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

No harm in thinking, asking questions and learning along the way. Like you, I tend to think long and hard and research extensively before I buy anything that i would consider important or expensive. The bright side to this approach is I never regret spending my money.

21 - 40 of 125 Posts