Ruger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
In another post a person says you might be overthinking the situation, I tend to agree. The differences between the LC9s (which I believe you had at one time) and the EC9 are small. New models of both are still available.

I've had an LC9s for 5-6 years now. Fired just under 2400 rounds without any problems other than my thumb hit the slide lock lever and kept the sslide locked back before the mag was empty a couple of times. No trips back to the factory.

As to people who have had to send their firearms back to the factory multiple times, for a person like you, who is professionally trained in the sciences, there are some fair asumptions that can be made. Especially when that person has multiple other brands of firearms that had to go back to the factory several times each.

1. The person is extremely unlucky and buys only crappy rejects. They should never play the lottery.

2. They have some kind of issue with firearm handling or maintenance, or

3. There really is something wrong. (the fact that they have had similar problems with multiple other manufacturer's firearms makes me lean towards items 1 or 2, though.

Good luck in your quest.
I have noticed that most people fall into one of two categories. Never sent a gun back (or at most once), or have to send back almost every gun they buy several times to get them right. I do think there are some true lemons that get out, and those may need several trips to figure out all that is wrong. I also think we sometimes expect a Cadillac ride from a Chevette.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
No harm in thinking, asking questions and learning along the way. Like you, I tend to think long and hard and research extensively before I buy anything that i would consider important or expensive. The bright side to this approach is I never regret spending my money.
We may be odd birds in this region of the Internet. If not, the others aren't speaking up.

My deep queries before spending money are based partly in curiosity -- I like to know strengths, weaknesses, and how things work before I buy -- and it gets me away from thinking about what the world has become (not what I'd hoped for). But also because I'm just dirt poor. Not by choice. I was offered a $400k budget in 2015, but ... it tanked. So I'm back to fixed income at 69. Barely able to pay rent, buy food, deal with medical, no motorized vehicle, have to walk for groceries, even in winter. All on this paltry "social security" stipend. Or is it an allowance? I remember allowances at 12. Not what I'm seeking now.

Planning to pull up with a new company next year. But for now, I have to think carefully. Some call that "overthinking". But I suspect those who accuse me of that have more money to burn than I do. Some can buy one on a feeling, and if it's not right, they can sell it and get another one, then another one.

I can't. I get one chance to get it right, or else, it's just a big freaking hassle. So I think about it first.

Getting a quote for an EC9 from my favorite gun shop in the town just west of here. They're thinking about it. Not overthinking, but thinking. Good folks.

They also stock ARX ammo for the 9.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
:D

That's the same "emoticon" -- roll eyes -- that describes my reaction to those who claim I am "overthinking". My laugh usually comes first. :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Here's my desktop image -- at 10 pm, just before sleep after walking 3 miles
this afternoon to a grocery in northern Maine in the mid-40's F for food.

I think I'll feel more ... safe while walking back carrying it. :rolleyes:

Tomorrow, I start serious fundraising to buy this pistol.
I suspect I know where the funds are.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
I got my ARX 9mm ammo today; an EC9s to shoot it comes next

I've never been one who likes wasting good writing, good information. This thread has a lot of both. We live in the age of Facebook (aka Faceplant) and Twitter (rhymes with critter, chitter, and a bunch of other stuff), where someone posts, some comments happen, maybe even a debate or something, then everyone moves on to the next thread. The one that got attention for 5 min to 5 days fades into history and the digital world moves on.

But before I got to the Internet -- or was sucked in by it -- I was a book guy. Books can exist for decades, even centuries. So I'm not ready to let this thread die just yet.

As I stated in the subject line, I received a box of 25 ARX ammo for my 9mm today. I got the standard rnds, not +p. I'll start with the basics, and see what they feel like, how they shoot.

But I ordered them before I even bought the gun. One of my friends said that's like buying gasoline before getting a car. I responded this way. 1) My local gun shop doesn't stock ARX, and I wanted to own a box when I got the pistol without having to wait. 2) It was a commitment. Why have the ammo without a gun to shoot it? Buy the gun. Why did I need that extra motivation? Because as I spelled out in my OP, I'm struggling financially. I have few discretionary funds at the end of the month. So $250 for a pistol is a LOT of $ for me.

But as fate would have it, for next month, I've come into a bit of unexpected windfall: about $250. Seeing that coming, I ordered the ammo from Midway last week. Arrived today. I'm seriously impressed. Eager to find out how it shoots.

I expect to purchase the EC9s next Monday, payday for me. Color me excited. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have one I bought last week. I shot it over 100 times had one jam. Cleaned it and have shot it 150 more times without a problem.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I have one I bought last week. I shot it over 100 times had one jam. Cleaned it and have shot it 150 more times without a problem.
Thanks for your reminder to clean it before I shoot it.

I always do that with new firearms anyway. But it's good to be reminded.

·
Registered
765 Posts
My story: I have both the LC9s and EC9s and they are great. Got my EC9s when they first came out for $209.00. The only thing I have an issue with is the front sight as been noted before. I don't have thousands of rounds through it, but never the less it has been flawless. My holsters of choice are leather from the Holster Store and Kydex from Clinger Holsters. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. PS. On my way to get some cheap fingernail polish.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My LC9s is in my carry rotation, especially in warm weather. It carries well IWB and is quite accurate even at 25 yards. It has never had a stoppage. The round count is probably under 300.
Best,
Rob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Another 50 rounds tonight with no malfunctions. I painted my front sight with fingernail polish too when I first got it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
1187mg, what color did you put on your front sight?

I'm thinking some kind of bright neon orange for mine. White here is a bad choice for about five months with snow cover. Neon green? Could work in town, but in the woods in the warm seasons, it would just get lost in the beech under story leaves. Red is too dark.

Five days and counting to my EC9 ..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I painted mine white. We don't get a lot of snow. I can see white the best personally so that's what I use. The tips of my 14 foot crappie rods are white so I can see them.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Your use of the term "crappie rods" tells me generally where you are.

I preferred brim (bream) to crappie. They were easier for me to catch
with a fly rod in the pond on the outskirts of Memphis.
And the meat was sweet, especially with tartar.

But yeah, I understand your choice of paint.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
That's good to read. Gives me even more confidence, and increases my excitement for Monday. I won't get to shoot a lot of rounds to begin. I'm going to be a bit short on budget for ammo after the pistol (for the first month), and there's no formal range near me (I'm motorized transportation challenged), so it'll be down in the dense woods (snow covered swamp right now) across the highway a long way from any roads and houses. But I plan to take it down and clean it to begin -- as I do all weapons before I fire the first shot. I've decided to go with ARX standard loads for now -- my first box sits in front of me on the desk -- and reportedly they feed well in most guns. So, it's a start.

And, fish, yes, I always thought bream -- technical common name bluegill sunfish -- were like trout with their mild flavor. And they offered my favorite fishing experience as a kid. I remember wandering around the shallows of my main local farm pond (that was far western TN), up to my waist, with my fly rod, sending poppers up under the branches overhanging the pond in late afternoon when they were hungry. I often got home with at least half a dozen 0.5 - 2 pounders, enough to feed my poor family. Fishing never got better than that for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The fishing sounds awesome. My parents and grandparents fished/hunted to actually eat where for the most part now for most of us it's a hobby.

I just shoot my stuff until it gums up then clean it LoL. Whoever designed them had to have me in mind because I've had good luck with my pistol and my wives LCP2.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I just shoot my stuff until it gums up then clean it LoL.
Oh, yeah, me, too. What I'm saying is that its important in my experience to start out with a deep cleaning, buffing and oiling before I take my first shot. It's not like a car for me -- drive it off the lot and go for the highway. Instead, for decades, I've wanted to see what's under the hood, take it down, clean it for myself, make sure there are no residual bumps or wire edges from the machines, use some solvent, some low grit paper if needed, then a single molecular layer of oil, before wiping it down before reassembly. It just works better in my experience.

Once I start shooting, I'm less attentive to it. I may not wait until it gums up, but I'm not regular with it. But I let my intuition tell me when to really get down to the action. Of course, I don't shoot anywhere close to the average forum shooter. Budgets -- both money and time -- suck, but dictate reality. I use a bore snake and some swabs to keep the barrel and chamber clean, but get to the action when I feel it's time.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
In anticipation of getting my EC9 on Monday from my local shop, I purchased my first holster for it today, online. I'll eventually add two others: an OWB (I have a favorite for 9mm) and a chest holster for backpacking (when my belt is covered by a backpack waist belt and the straps make pocket access harder).

For now, because I'm on a severely limited budget :( , I'm starting with a basic pocket carry holster: a Desantis Nemesis. ($15 delivered from Amazon; it'll arrive Tuesday.) There are others that are half that price, but the Nemesis has that extra "wing" that fits snugly in the bottom of the pocket keeping the pistol from canting, and upright.

I won't carry it in my trouser pocket. I'm too skinny for that; putting a pistol in my pocket makes me look like I'm carrying a cheeseburger. :eek: But I'll use this in my Carhartt vest or coat (depending on the weather). Up here, even in summer, except for the very hottest days (rarely gets above the high 80's F here), I wear the vest.

My first box of ARX ammo (standard load; not +p) is already sitting on my desk.

41 - 60 of 125 Posts