Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a thread in the Tavern (wrong place) about magazine/lockback issues I had with a Mini-14 that I had purchased 6 yrs. ago (originally said 10yrs. Guess it just seem that long ago). When I purchased it the guy that sold it to me said that some Minis were accurate some were not (just a roll of the dice kind of thing). I had so much trouble with the magazine issue that I never got to really check the accuracy (just said wow for a ruger this thing is junk & sold it). I've read in other threads that Ruger has recently started putting better barrels on the minis, so that has peaked my interest again. I love the way they look & would love to try another. I have an AR-15 but have never been a big fan of the "Black Rifle". I may also consider a Mini-30 as I reload 7.62X39 for my SKS. Are there any issues with Milspec primers in the Mini-30?

Anywho, I included the Ed Harris article as I may consider a used Mini if the accuracy issue is more myth than fact.

Any & all opinions/info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Deadeye

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Deadeye- Mini accuracy can be hit or miss. Problem has been the thin barrels Ruger has been using causing some unwanted barrel whip and other negative harmonics. Have yet to see if the new Ruger barrels are better.I have a mini-30 that would place the first shot out of the barrel dead on the X-ring when cold, then every other shot after was just all over the target. Loved the rifle as it would digest every kind of ammo but the accuracy thing bugged me. I couldn't part with the rifle as it was my first so I sent it to ASI and had it worked over into a 6.5 grendel with a .20 inch barrel and now that mini is quite the tackdriver.

In answer to your primer question- No the mini's do not have any problem whatsoever with milspec primers. Handloaded a bunch of x39 with CCI#34 primers and all went bang.

·
Banned
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hell that sounds like about the same as I get out of my Ruskie SKS. Well I guess I'll wait till I read some reports on the new barrels. It sure seems like a company like Ruger could produce better out of the box performance than that.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The sad part is Ruger has known for years that their mini barrels weren't quite what they could be. Good to see them trying to improve the mini, but will wait and see how well they do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts