Ruger Forum banner

Electric Bike for hunting ...

807 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  FireEscape 
#1 ·
Just seen a commercial for an electric all terrain bicycle, wonder what the legal aspects of using one on public hunting lands ... no noise, no fumes ...

#5 ·
Not sure how the propulsion works ...

Gonna be a hot topic as they gain popularity. The dealer will tell me pedal assist is legal but the sate says a vehicle under power needs a OHVR registration so that restricts access to public land not open to OHVR use such as a WMA. I see the MTN biker folks bicker with themselves and the state about E power and assist all the time and some bike paths are debating this now with no clear answer.
This will be a state related question for sure. I don't think it matters what you do as it will piss someone off these days. But check with your state and any land owner if you go on private land.
And yes I am interested in them but am keeping an eye on what the state is doing. The local gun shop has one on the floor right now for whatever reason.
In the commercial they focused on the rear derailer and sprockets just like a 10 speed ...

#3 ·
Gonna be a hot topic as they gain popularity. The dealer will tell me pedal assist is legal but the sate says a vehicle under power needs a OHVR registration so that restricts access to public land not open to OHVR use such as a WMA. I see the MTN biker folks bicker with themselves and the state about E power and assist all the time and some bike paths are debating this now with no clear answer.
This will be a state related question for sure. I don't think it matters what you do as it will piss someone off these days. But check with your state and any land owner if you go on private land.
And yes I am interested in them but am keeping an eye on what the state is doing. The local gun shop has one on the floor right now for whatever reason.

#4 ·
I don't think states are interested in electric bikes. They are only interested in the fees, surcharges, taxes and any other restrictions that they can impart. For the good of the children.Several years ago the city of Philadelphia,PA put a additional $1 a pack tax on cigarettes,some will say good but I won't, I don't smoke . A new job was created,getting cigarettes from outside the city and state. When sales dropped and the expected revenues were not collected Mayor Michael Nutter went on television and was complaining basically that Philadelphia wasn't smoking enough " for the children ".

#6 ·
A couple years ago I helped divide a large potion of a mountain not far from here it has a very wide road up the ridge to the top then smaller roads around the property.....the owner had several diff electric bikes and some with gas motors some with ballon style tires made for trails and gravel he said they worked well.
They did not seem to have any issues negotiating the steep terrain.
Interesting.

#7 ·
Around here they will be/are no different than an ATV. Want to ride 'official' trails? Register it. Want to ride private land that you do not own? Get WRITTEN land owner permission and register it. Actually it may be 'worse' than being an atv as we have many trails that are open to 4 wheelers but closed to two wheeled vehicles. Whether you CAN pedal it or not, if it has a motor/engine, it is a vehicle.

Bruce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.