Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I just filled our two permits for elk cows and have been searching the internet for above recipes.
I would appreciate any input from folks that have mastered the perfect way to make breakfast patties and spicy sausages.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My very first attempt at making sausages. I did find a good recipe online and my brother in Germany who still makes sausages was kind enough to supply some helpful advice.

P1030531.JPG

·
Registered
308 Posts
I don't have any right handy. Cabela's had (has?) a book on sausage making by a guy who ran a shop in Vegas. I made up my own for Italian based on the one he had, as well as a chorizo. You could start out using any on the 'net with a few modifications.

When I was in grad school, we lived on an elk, a big mulie, a wild hog and some pheasant and quail. A couple of tips:

1. Elk is VERY lean, even a cow. I would mix, especially for sausage, ground elk with cheap (fatty) ground beef after thawing. Adding fat can turn it rancid if it's frozen for a long time. Cheap beef (50/50 mix) makes a tastier sausage. Otherwise, you need to add oil to it while cooking.

2. Keep your meat COLD while mixing, especially chorizo. Might use ground pork instead of beef. (I've used either).

Basic spice mixtures (vary to your taste):

Italian: Garlic, red pepper flakes, onion powder, caraway seed, fennel/fennel seed, oregano and basil.

Chorizo: smoked Paprika (both hot and sweet), red wine vinegar, red pepper, onion powder, garlic

Breakfast: sage, thyme, marjoram, salt, black pepper (+red pepper flakes for spicier). Wright's Liquid Smoke for a smoky flavor!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts