Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ran across two interesting from the factory bug-out kits. One from s&w and one from mossberg.
Seems that they got the idea for in case of another Katrina storm episode or possible emergency evac senerios.
The smith is more complete than the mossberg but one could still do some add-ons with either.
The mossberg strikes me as looking like a map case--could do without the outside advertising on it.

Here is the smith from the factory built around the sigma:http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...d=10001&productId=53426&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

complete with a lot of gear such as wind-up radio/flashlight, space blankets, rations, etc, etc.

Here is the mossberg built around the mdl 500 pump:http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=28§ion=products

With a little dressing on the outside, no one would know what you had in there. With the sling it strikes me as a map case. While the smith kit appears to be much more complete, a shotgun is still a nice thing to fondle.

Both systems appear to be a viable way to store basic necessities in one convient carrying package. And a way to get out quickly in a rather discreet manor with the weapon and gear in a hurry. I kinda like the concept of both as they are basicly ready to go and you are carrying all of the necessities concealed. Just a little paint on the map case ought to work.

I like that smith and mossberg have reconized the need for such.
I would rather build my own kit based off of the smith concept around the ruger p90.

The mossberg speaks for itself. Would always rather have a shotgun handy for things that go bump in the night(or day for that matter).

i bet there were a lot of cold and hungry folks in new orleans and surronding areas that wished they had one of these simple set-ups. Matter of fact they strike me a a good thing to also keep in the vehicle for road trips, vacations, etc. Just a little practical insurance.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Would be nice to find a similar kit with some sort of respirator included. With all the chemicals flying around these days its almost just as needed in any survival kit. But that mossberg kit is a looker and easy to carry, something you can throw on and run with.

·
Registered
396 Posts
A lot of us prepare......others wait then complain that the "Govm't ain't doin notin cause we is....etc..."

I am ready !!! I am prepared !! I am armed !!!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I like this topic, Deputy.

Lately I've been slowly trying to be better prepared for emergencies. I bought a weather radio that has a crank and a flashlight and also you can plug cell phones into it and charge them with the crank, which is cool. I dug out flashlights and bought batteries and made sure I know where they are. A while back I bought a fire box that you can put important documents in and they'll be safe from a fire. And of course I've started buying firearms! :D

Canned dog food, bottled water, that stuff is easy to have on hand. But all that preparation (which isn't really that much) is directed more toward an emergency in the home - losing electricity, somehow getting cut off from others while in the house. But I have not gone that next step to keep all that stuff and more (emergency food, extra prescriptions, maybe some cash, first aid kit, etc.) and combining everything into a duffle bag or something that can be thrown in the back of the car with some ammo (which I need to have more of) if it really hits the fan and I have to head out.

Few weeks ago my wife was towing a horse trailer several hundred miles and was leaving on 9/10. Who knows what could happen on 9/11 anniversaries, so I came up with a plan of what to do if something big happened and we couldn't reach eachother. Didn't cost anything, just some time to sit down and come up with a strategy so if contact is not possible, we would know how to reconnect. That's definitely not something I would have done before, and it's not pleasant to think about. But there's a real good feeling you get when you take steps to protect your loved ones, and it's worth the unpleasantness of planning for worst-case scenarios.

Sorry for the long post, but thanks Deputy, this will make me re-engage and refine my emergency plans.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been guilty myself of not being adequately prepared on road trips. Would hate to think of the possibilities of being on an out of town overnight trip and something happens and all i got is a handgun for an extended period of time. For example, overnite at a motel when a large twister hits the city. No power, no electricity, no nothing really if it is a big one. might get stranded for a while. This thought ran thru my mind when i had to go to corpus christi a while back and my motel was right by some refineries. One good fire and i would have to stay put probably for the better part of a day or two.
Think i'll put a few goodies together for the next trip.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I think one other area is important that were missing. Make sure your loved ones have the knowledge they need. When I met my wife, she didn't really care for guns. She was scared of them. But I kept after her, and now she knows how to load and shoot the Rem 870, P89, and GP100. She wouldn't take them out target shooting, but she knows how to load, fire, and unload. I try to get her to shoot a clip or a couple of rounds every month.

Cause if there's a gun in the night stand (there's two in fact), she darn well better know how to use it.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Mine hates 'em-she sneers at the fact that I carry...won't touch them...but she doesn't know that I've trained our 3 sons since they were 5 or so-now 20, 18, and 14...and they would come down like Thor's hammer on anyone that came here for trouble with guns that she hasn't a clue are even here...much less where they are...and my 14-year-old can outshoot me...he's got eyes like a hawk....hope she never has to eat crow...but, if she does, we're gonna serve it to her raw and bloody....

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I don't worry about Granny because she can shoot her P345 as well as I can my P97. The only thing I worry about is she works at school, and you know the rules for carry there. :(

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Since we took the 870 out to bust a few clay targets, my wife really took a liking to that. I think that would be her weapon of choice if need be, she seems to be more comfortable with it than a handgun, though she could use either. But who knows, just the sound of that pump action welcoming unwelcome visitors has, I bet, sent many an intruder scuttling out of windows...

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yeah, and instead of taking anything, some of them leave a deposit!!! 'Specially if it's a woman with the pumpgun!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.