Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do they find these people. If shop owner does not have a butt load of insurance he will probably lose his shop.

Worker at NM gun shop accidentally shoots customer

Authorities say an employee at a New Mexico gun shop was unloading a handgun when he accidentally shot a customer in the back, wounding him.

Read more: Worker at NM gun shop accidentally shoots customer - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

· Registered
5,501 Posts
Seems incredibly careless, but also quite common.
There was a story in our local paper yesterday about an off duty cop here accidentally discharging his weapon into the armchair of a seat in a movie theater.

Seems he was getting ready to sit so he was rearranging the gun he carried behind his back. Somehow he managed to unsnap a retention strap and move the trigger enough to fire the gun.

One of the movie patrons was hit by some "shrapnel" from the bullet or chair arm.

· Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
Amazing. Something else the anti-gun crowd can point to.
Speaking of pointing ... Someone forgot the primary rule of gun safety ... ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

· Registered
6,450 Posts
customer shooting

Where do they find these people. If shop owner does not have a butt load of insurance he will probably lose his shop.

Worker at NM gun shop accidentally shoots customer

Authorities say an employee at a New Mexico gun shop was unloading a handgun when he accidentally shot a customer in the back, wounding him.

Read more: Worker at NM gun shop accidentally shoots customer - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com
Frankly, from what I've seen at numerous gun-shops and sporting goods stores, it's amazing this doesn't happen more often. And how many times have you been cruising the rifle and shotgun racks and some customer is handling a gun and pointing it at random all over the place:eek::eek:

· Registered
12,990 Posts
Frankly, from what I've seen at numerous gun-shops and sporting goods stores, it's amazing this doesn't happen more often. And how many times have you been cruising the rifle and shotgun racks and some customer is handling a gun and pointing it at random all over the place:eek::eek:
And even dry firing it without checking to see if it's safe to do so.

· Registered
5,501 Posts
One of the problems with the layout of some sporting goods and gun shops is finding a "safe" direction to point a gun while handling it. To the left, right, and behind you are customers, and ahead is the salesperson and perhaps more employees.

· Former Hoadpiler
32,417 Posts
A couple years ago I was in a gun shop and a guy came in with a used shotgun he wanted to sell. The guy behind the counter took the shotgun, pointed it at the floor and pulled the trigger. Guess what happened? He then started to yell at the guy that brought a loaded gun into his shop and about six of us jumped in and told the guy to shut up as HE was the one the pulled the trigger.

The entire shop had that look of punk to it. Both guys that worked there looked about 18 but they might have been older. That was the first time I was there and I haven't been back to that shop again.

· Registered
6,618 Posts
Just because "you" work in a gun store and are around all types of guns, ammo, etc. all day does not make "you" any more competent or safer then anybody else. At the least, I would think, you are to be expected to lead the gun safety and proper handling charge by example in this position.

Practicing gun safety has got to be as natural as breathing...

· Registered
135 Posts
One of the problems with the layout of some sporting goods and gun shops is finding a "safe" direction to point a gun while handling it. To the left, right, and behind you are customers, and ahead is the salesperson and perhaps more employees.
I work at a gun store, the safest direction is up in my opinion.:cool:

· Registered
90 Posts
I purchased a LCR in .22 about 10 days ago (still waiting to pick it up, California) the clerk opened the cylinder finding it empty, closed it and handed it to me. I opened the cylinder and rechecked it, then closed it, pointed it at a safe place checking it out. I was taught a lot time ago when looking at a revolver you open the cylinder, check for cartridges, then if empty, with cylinder still OPEN, with fingers through the opening of the cylinder, hand it to the other person. I don't see this safety check followed anymore, but thats what I do! Can't shoot anyone with an open cylinder!!

· Former Hoadpiler
32,417 Posts
I purchased a LCR in .22 about 10 days ago (still waiting to pick it up, California) the clerk opened the cylinder finding it empty, closed it and handed it to me. I opened the cylinder and rechecked it, then closed it, pointed it at a safe place checking it out. I was taught a lot time ago when looking at a revolver you open the cylinder, check for cartridges, then if empty, with cylinder still OPEN, with fingers through the opening of the cylinder, hand it to the other person. I don't see this safety check followed anymore, but thats what I do! Can't shoot anyone with an open cylinder!!
I do the same thing. A few days ago I was at the range with someone that didn't have much experience and I showed him how to lay a semi-auto on the table. He said he had no idea we did stuff like that. The gun was pointed down range and the slide was open with the right side up. I told him this was so that anyone that walked by could see it was empty. This was during a ceasefire.

· Registered
1,043 Posts
I always cringe when I go into a gun shop with a cocky, know-it-all guy(s) behind the counter who thinks being around guns gives him an extra set of balls or something.

Those are the types most likely to accidentally shoot someone.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.