Ruger Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Good move . I keep a small stash of the stuff around for old breaktop H&Rs and whatnot . But it really has no use in a chamber that long when the longer cartridges will download so easily.

Silly me story on the Henry 327 rifles. Being a 32oholic I bought the first Henery 327 I laid hands on . Steel big boy rifle . I then decided the carbine would be way more nimble and lighter ,,,,,
but they all seemed to have dried up and disappeared from the local scene. So I had mine and fretted a little that it was fine but overly bulky for the cartridge.
Fast forward a couple of years and Bingo , there was a carbine on a used rack at the LGS. Lickety split it was mine and home I ran to compare how much better it felt.
Hmmmm, with guns in hand very LITTLE felt difference . Hmmmm again. Only a couple of inches ,,,,, .
I've come to the conclusion it's the big loop that just makes it LOOK much more compact .
O well live and learn . Still have not shot side by side to see if any difference and I have the joy of one with a Red Dot and one with a scope ,,,,,,,, so that's a plus.

Big Boy Classic: 20" octagonal barrel, hardened brass receiver. 8.68 pounds
Big Boy Carbine: 16.5" octagonal barrel, hardened brass receiver. 7.76 pounds

Big Boy Steel: 20" round barrel, steel receiver. 7 pounds
Big Boy Steel Carbine: 16.5" round barrel, steel receiver. 6.59 pounds

So 3 1/2 inches shorter, and .41 pounds lighter (94% of the rifle weight).

Reactions: Maddmax

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Well, I just got pulled out of the rabbit hole ... the brass sold to someone else ... oh well ...
If things change ... Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 3rd edition has loading data for 77 gr. LRN and 84 gr. LRN bullets with nine (9) different powders ... tell me what powder(s) you have and I will post the data ...

Seems like you were doing something my Momma always cautioned me against doing ... counting my chickens before they hatched !
I wish I had a dime for every off the wall saying that woman had ... I'd be rich !
Gary

·
Registered
9,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
If things change ... Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 3rd edition has loading data for 77 gr. LRN and 84 gr. LRN bullets with nine (9) different powders ... tell me what powder(s) you have and I will post the data ...

Seems like you were doing something my Momma always cautioned me against doing ... counting my chickens before they hatched !
I wish I had a dime for every off the wall saying that woman had ... I'd be rich !
Gary
Yea, maybe I was jumping the gun (no pun intended) a bit. But, I'll keep your offer in mind. I thought about trimming 32 SWL down to 32 sw, just for fun.

Reactions: Maddmax

·
Registered
248 Posts
where did you find the 327?

where is the pic?
Sorry bud, missed this. I’ll have to go back and look. I believe it was a shop in TX. As for the pics...

The recent purchases from the top down
.41 Rem Mag
.327 Fed Mag
.45 Colt

And the ones I had prior to last week, again top down...
.22LR
.22 WMR
.30/30
.357 Mag
.22LR Golden Boy Silver
.44 Rem Mag

Getting ready to order the .17 HMR

·
Registered
9,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Sorry bud, missed this. I’ll have to go back and look. I believe it was a shop in TX. As for the pics...

View attachment 155813

.41 Rem Mag
.327 Fed Mag
.45 Colt
View attachment 155814

.22LR
.22 WMR
.30/30
.357 Mag
.22LR Golden Boy Silver
.44 Rem Mag
View attachment 155815

Wow ... Nice collection Sir, i want a Henry 327 in the worse way ...

·
Registered
4,906 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
My first Henry was a trade. Sold my Roadliner to a guy that was a couple thousand short. Got that 30/30 and a 4” 500 magnum, gave him $2k off the price. That’s about new price for those guns but the Henry didn’t appear to have ever been used. Was a good trade. It’s currently the only one of 2 “used” guns in my collection. The other is a 10” Super Blackhawk appeared to have never been used either.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Btw, I got to test my first loads in the .327 (since all the ammo is awol). Need either some Lil’ Gun or a recipe for H110 for those 32 H&R. The barrel is too long for the other powders.

32 H&R magnum
4.3gr Unique, 20” Henry Rifle
100gr XTP bullets

664 fps
669 fps
729 fps
Average 105 ft lbs of energy

327 federal magnum
12.5gr H110, 20” Henry Rifle
100gr XTP bullets

1641 fps
1678 fps
1632 fps
Average 604 ft lbs of energy

·
Registered
3,100 Posts

View attachment 155813

.41 Rem Mag
.327 Fed Mag
.45 Colt
View attachment 155814

.22LR
.22 WMR
.30/30
.357 Mag
.22LR Golden Boy Silver
.44 Rem Mag
View attachment 155815

You may have a ... Lever Action Addiction .... ATTABOY !!!
Gary

·
Registered
248 Posts
You may have a ... Lever Action Addiction .... ATTABOY !!!
Gary
I have an addiction to classic guns. Got 10 lever guns, 12 revolvers (11 of them single action) 7 1911s and it’s growing at a rapid pace. I shoot them all. Today I shot the 3 newest Henry’s, 2 of my 45 Bisleys and 3 of my 45 cal 1911s. Rapid is relative considering we are taking $600-$1200 per gun in these types. Goes a little slower than $300-$500 polymer guns.

Some pics of the other toys I was playing playing with today. (We all love pics right?)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Where did you find the Henry? I've been looking, but can't find one.
Easiest way is get the UPC and paste just the UPC # into google. Usually one of the first 3 hits will be the direct link to the gun.deals page where 30-40 vendors have inventory listed. If you don’t find it that way, go back to google search and put the UPC number followed by a space, then -“out of stock” and it’ll filter out most of the pages where the product is out of stock. You’ll still get some but it narrows how many show up.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts