Ruger Forum banner

Entering a rabbit hole ...

3K views 34 replies 10 participants last post by  Philmo11 
#1 ·
OK, with a bit of time on my hands i've started down a rabbit hole and I am looking for some input. Full disclosure, i'm waiting on a few friends here to offer insight but thought i'd throw it out also to the general public here.

Anyone loading 32 smith & wesson short? If so, what components are you using? I've found a few recipes in my manual but it is a fairly old manual. I've got a good stock of 32 cal bullets in 78 gr RN cast poly coated, 95 gr RNFP cast poly coated, 98 gr DEWC cast poly coated, 71 gr RN plated, 85 gr JHP and 85 gr JHP XTP.

The gun is my LCR327, looking to do some light plinking, nothing major.

Any and all insight would be appreciated.

#2 ·
This may help some:

Reload Ammo | Founded By M.D. Smith in 1996

And of course a little history:

Guns chambered in .32 S&W have been used in at least three notable assassinations:

#3 · (Edited)
First off , I enjoy ALL things 32 and applaud the thought but,,,,,,,,,.
Personally, I might drop back to 32 long but not 32 short . They are just too short to shoot in that cyl.,,,,, if you have a choice . Sure it can be done but you are talking a monster long crud ring to clean up for no real benefit . And I HATE crud rings.
32 long , 32 mag and even 327 can all be slowed way down if plinkers are sought .Look for fast to medium powders that are not position sensitive . Think CFE , Titegroup or even Unique or Bullseye.

If you want to think and experiment outside the box you can deep seat bullets in longer brass if your sizing die leaves tight neck tension.
Find a slow 32long load and deep seat the bullet in a 32 mag or 327 brass to where the over all length to the bullet tip is the same . Internal volume is what determines pressure.
Some times that is all the way inside the brass and you may need to modify a seating stem to fit in there.
No crimp needed in such a low recoiler.
This is also a great way to shoot 44 spl loads in a 44mag or 38 spl. loads in a 357.
Of course start low and work up.
Your bullet choices really leave only two. The 71 gr. plated. and the 78 gr rn.
At these speeds the pricy JHP bullets will not expand and you need more power to move the heavier bullets.
Try to find some of the hollowbased wadcutters bullseye shooters use.

#14 ·
Good move . I keep a small stash of the stuff around for old breaktop H&Rs and whatnot . But it really has no use in a chamber that long when the longer cartridges will download so easily.

Silly me story on the Henry 327 rifles. Being a 32oholic I bought the first Henery 327 I laid hands on . Steel big boy rifle . I then decided the carbine would be way more nimble and lighter ,,,,,
but they all seemed to have dried up and disappeared from the local scene. So I had mine and fretted a little that it was fine but overly bulky for the cartridge.
Fast forward a couple of years and Bingo , there was a carbine on a used rack at the LGS. Lickety split it was mine and home I ran to compare how much better it felt.
Hmmmm, with guns in hand very LITTLE felt difference . Hmmmm again. Only a couple of inches ,,,,, .
I've come to the conclusion it's the big loop that just makes it LOOK much more compact .
O well live and learn . Still have not shot side by side to see if any difference and I have the joy of one with a Red Dot and one with a scope ,,,,,,,, so that's a plus.

#30 ·
My first Henry was a trade. Sold my Roadliner to a guy that was a couple thousand short. Got that 30/30 and a 4” 500 magnum, gave him $2k off the price. That’s about new price for those guns but the Henry didn’t appear to have ever been used. Was a good trade. It’s currently the only one of 2 “used” guns in my collection. The other is a 10” Super Blackhawk appeared to have never been used either.

#31 ·
Btw, I got to test my first loads in the .327 (since all the ammo is awol). Need either some Lil’ Gun or a recipe for H110 for those 32 H&R. The barrel is too long for the other powders.

32 H&R magnum
4.3gr Unique, 20” Henry Rifle
100gr XTP bullets

664 fps
669 fps
729 fps
Average 105 ft lbs of energy

327 federal magnum
12.5gr H110, 20” Henry Rifle
100gr XTP bullets

1641 fps
1678 fps
1632 fps
Average 604 ft lbs of energy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.