Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current pistol permit says "The right to carry a pistol is hereby granted to..." Underneath it has restrictions for target and hunting. After speaking with many people and researching it I found that there is no legal penalty for carrying concealed outside of the permit's conditions, but they are what the issuing judge would prefer you to do. So it is my understanding that you either do or do not have the carry permit regardless of the restrictions. Does anyone have any info on this or experience with this matter? Thanks.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
New Yorks rules and laws are a world unto they're own.My suggestion go to the states DPS website and read what the law says.You are lucky to get a carry permit in N.Y. state I would read up on the restrictions included in the law.If it lists restrictions than I would most certainly follow them or you may lose that permit.If I'm not mistaken I thought by N.Y. law you had to have a "Reason" to carry,such as carrying large sums of money or Domestic Violence against you,Again read up on the law dictated by the state...

·
Registered
97 Posts
if its anything like mass law under restrictions if you dont have any it will say NONE if you have restrictions like you posted hunting and target that mean your restricted to hunting/target shooting only but every state is different

·
Banned
4,289 Posts
I lived in Western New York, (in ski country, south of Buffalo) back in the 90's. I appealed the "Target and Hunting" designation, through legal channels, three times. Each time I lost my appeal.

What you have, will probably, cover you carrying in your vehicle but, unless you're hunting or at a range, it does NOT cover you carrying concealed.

You'd be in a world of hurt if you disregard the "restrictions" of the "target and hunting" if you would be found to be concealed carrying.

Of course, if the old adage about being judged by 12 rather than be carried by 6, is philosophically appealing to you, it's you decision to make. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just read through the NYS penal laws pertaining to pistol permits and it didn't say anything about restrictions. I don't carry outside of my permits "restrictions", but there is just so much gray area surrounding this topic. I know people who carry outside of there conditions who have spoken to police officers only to be told you either have the permit or you don't. I wouldn't want to run into the wrong cop and be in a lot of trouble though. I spoke with the Erie County pistol permit office at a gun show and they said the judge would like people to wait a minimum of 5 yrs with a restricted permit before re-applying to have the restrictions lifted only if you have a reason...if he doesn't deem the reason good enough then I was told he could decided he doesn't want to see your application again for 5 more years. It's a shame criminals dont have rules to follow and I have to hope the combination of my fists, common sense, and my gerber can get me out of a bad situation if it ever happens. I'm gonna do some more research on this matter. Thanks guys.

·
Banned
698 Posts
I lived in western NY and had a CCW. ERIE COUNTY stamps that on all most every permit issued. At the time I got mine judge Penny Wolfgang was the judge over seeing the issuance of the permits. I was told that that was an ordnance of the county to restrict usage of the CCW. BUT it is a NY STATE PERMIT. Best advice contact the local S.C.O.P.E. group. Its a gun rights group in NY. They will have the most up to date information

·
Registered
126 Posts
My current pistol permit says "The right to carry a pistol is hereby granted to..." Underneath it has restrictions for target and hunting. After speaking with many people and researching it I found that there is no legal penalty for carrying concealed outside of the permit's conditions, but they are what the issuing judge would prefer you to do. So it is my understanding that you either do or do not have the carry permit regardless of the restrictions. Does anyone have any info on this or experience with this matter? Thanks.
They were very clear in the class given before I was given my Concealed Carry. If you are not on your way to or from hunting or target practice, you are in violation. They can take away your permit and fine you, and the list went on and on. You are not carrying in your permit class.
Unrestricted concealed carry does not have anything written under restrictions.
And yes, my permit is in NY State. I own and run a business with large sums of cash.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Each county has a different set of rules, the glory of NY I guess. The restrictions will get you into trouble if you are carrying out side of them. Many years back, when I worked for an armored car service, they even added working to the restrictions on my permit. Finally, I asked the judge to give me an unrestricted license. I was asked for a reason, and I said "for all lawful purposes", and have had an unrestricted license for about 20 years now. When my son applied for his license in Montgomery county, he listed the same reason on his application, and was given an unrestricted license right out the door.

·
Banned
402 Posts
You don't have a CCW, you have what the permit says you have, Two and from a range
in a box or case, not concealed, The right ot carry, and how you carry should be explained a little better don't you think ? otherwise you wouldn't have to ask the question. All my ccw's have said the right to carry concealed. The hunting part is unclear, it may mean open carry.
If you had a ccw it would say nothing. why would it have two ? get the straight poop and don't get into trouble and kill the chance for your future real CCW.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I lived on Long Island for year with a CCP it said target and hunting . First If concield
no one will know . Second I joined a 24 hr range . So I was allways going or leaving or had intent to go . Carr some targets and ammo in trunk always a small amount so you can say you had intent .

Now in North Carolina I have a CCP wich is good in about 40 states however when I go back to NY I carrl a sling shot . Basterds

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info guy's. It seems some classes were more clear than others. My teacher looked like the old lady from the most recent "Longest Yard" movie. I wrote a letter to my local police chief and he said he will get back to me with an accurate legally binding answer. I understand what the restrictions mean, but it seems I get a different answer from everyone who is supposed to be an authority on the matter (teachers, cops, gun shops, etc). I'll let you know how I make out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.