Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing frustrates me more than losing a piece of gear. A while back the knife I carry while hiking came off my belt somewhere on the return trail, sheath and all. I was looking for a replacement that would hold up to the sweat, humidity and rain here in Florida. Esee, a great American knife company, peaked my interest with the Esee 3 S35vn steel blade. Just about the time I went to order this knife, it was out of stock everywhere. Finally picked this up the other day and I have to say Esee knows how to create knives, no doubt there will be others on my belt before long.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
841 Posts
Looks like a winner DSP. This looks like a great fixed blade for some tough tasks. Been considering a fixed blade as I usually carry a Buck CSAR folder which is rugged for tougher usage but is heavy in the pocket without using the pouch. Bet the steel on yours is good and will hold an edge. Could be my next consideration. thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
737 Posts
1095 is a great steel, but for a field knife, I've always favored a stainless steel, and S35VN is an excellent one. Nice choice, DSP24 and hang on to that one! The ESSE 5 S35VN is on the list.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1095 is a great steel, but for a field knife, I've always favored a stainless steel, and S35VN is an excellent one. Nice choice, DSP24 and hang on to that one! The ESSE 5 S35VN is on the list.
Thanks for the kind words, 1095 is a great steel, my choice boiled down to corrosion resistance. The heat, humidity and rain are a constant here in Florida and I will soaked or soak through my clothes on any given length of swamp trail. I won’t be doing a lot of bushcrafting with this knife, it’s more of a get back to the vehicle blade. :)

Reactions: sparkyv

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like a winner DSP. This looks like a great fixed blade for some tough tasks. Been considering a fixed blade as I usually carry a Buck CSAR folder which is rugged for tougher usage but is heavy in the pocket without using the pouch. Bet the steel on yours is good and will hold an edge. Could be my next consideration. thanks for sharing.
I like Buck...a lot but this Esee just feels right.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If they did a proper heat treating of that steel, it will hold a sharp edge over other steels. the con is that due to it abrasive resistance, it is a bear to re-sharpen when it does get dull. You may need to use a "Worksharp" or diamond stones to touch it up.
I have a few Worksharp products, they’re great as well.

Reactions: Mr. Tettnanger

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,332 Posts
A great, all-around fixed blade knife! This is the stock photo of the D2 one I got from Knife Center dot com with their upgraded scales. This is going to be my go-to big game knife.

I love the plastic "sheath". It snaps on very tight which feels safe. You can clip it on a belt, or just pocket-carry it and use the lanyard as a secure way to pop the sheath off the knife. It's extremely thin and easy to carry in a pocket.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Nothing frustrates me more than losing a piece of gear. A while back the knife I carry while hiking came off my belt somewhere on the return trail, sheath and all. I was looking for a replacement that would hold up to the sweat, humidity and rain here in Florida. Esee, a great American knife company, peaked my interest with the Esee 3 S35vn steel blade. Just about the time I went to order this knife, it was out of stock everywhere. Finally picked this up the other day and I have to say Esee knows how to create knives, no doubt there will be others on my belt before long. View attachment 157456
How thick is the blade on your "3"?
I have a "4" and the blade is 0.195" (including the black coating). While certainly rugged I don't think that I would have chosen something that thick and heavy had I seen and handled it in person before ordering. Well .... maybe I would have as I picked the 60612 Rowen at least in part because it has a partially sharpened back and that made it 'Unavailable in CA or MA' ... so I had to have it but if the "3" is made of thinner steel it might be a lot more useful.
Thank you.

Bruce

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How thick is the blade on your "3"?
I have a "4" and the blade is 0.195" (including the black coating). While certainly rugged I don't think that I would have chosen something that thick and heavy had I seen and handled it in person before ordering. Well .... maybe I would have as I picked the 60612 Rowen at least in part because it has a partially sharpened back and that made it 'Unavailable in CA or MA' ... so I had to have it but if the "3" is made of thinner steel it might be a lot more useful.
Thank you.

Bruce
Got this from the Knifeworks website..

Specifications:
  • Overall Length: 8.19 in.
  • Cutting Edge: 3.38 in.
  • Blade Length: 3.88 in.
  • Maximum Thickness: .125 in.
  • Blade Steel: S35VN
  • Blade Hardness: 59-60 Rc.
  • Weight: 6 oz. (knife only)
  • Weight: 9 oz. Knife w/Sheath)
  • Sheath: Molded
  • Blade Finish: Stonewash
  • Handle Material: 3D G10
  • Origin: U.S.A

Reactions: FireEscape

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A great, all-around fixed blade knife! This is the stock photo of the D2 one I got from Knife Center dot com with their upgraded scales. This is going to be my go-to big game knife.

I love the plastic "sheath". It snaps on very tight which feels safe. You can clip it on a belt, or just pocket-carry it and use the lanyard as a secure way to pop the sheath off the knife. It's extremely thin and easy to carry in a pocket.

View attachment 157488
View attachment 157489
I looked at every version and like them all, for me it came down to corrosion resistance as this knife will be getting wet with sweat, the 1095 is a little temperamental when it comes to rust.

Reactions: FeralCatKillr

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I just measured mine for you. It is .122" thick. By comparison my Buck 110 is almost exactly the same at .121" thick.

The Esee 3 is slightly lighter weight than the Buck folder.

View attachment 157497
Got this from the Knifeworks website..

Specifications:
  • Overall Length: 8.19 in.
  • Cutting Edge: 3.38 in.
  • Blade Length: 3.88 in.
  • Maximum Thickness: .125 in.
  • Blade Steel: S35VN
  • Blade Hardness: 59-60 Rc.
  • Weight: 6 oz. (knife only)
  • Weight: 9 oz. Knife w/Sheath)
  • Sheath: Molded
  • Blade Finish: Stonewash
  • Handle Material: 3D G10
  • Origin: U.S.A
Thank you both, I seem to forget that the manufacturer's website can answer many questions while the companies selling are rather varied can be quite 'varied' in what they list for specifications.

Sounds like an Esee "3" will be my next purchase as I am very impressed with the feel and construction of my "4" but put off by the weight (and who doesn't need another handy fixed blade?).
It might be a good thing that my most recent SMKW order is listed as having been already shipped.

Bruce

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds like an Esee "3" will be my next purchase as I am very impressed with the feel and construction of my "4" but put off by the weight (and who doesn't need another handy fixed blade?).
It might be a good thing that my most recent SMKW order is listed as having been already shipped.

Bruce
I carry the 3” 38 LCRx so I can offset a heavier knife because of the lightweight firearm.There are no Esee dealers in our area so I had to gamble a little with the purchase but once I did handle this knife I was hooked. I believe the 3 and 4 use the same scales so you’ll probably be familiar with the feel...

Reactions: Mr. Tettnanger

·
Registered
550 Posts
Never heard of it but now I might have to get one. I recently started getting more 'super steel' like S30V, knives . 420HC even with the BOS heat treat is old tech. The classic Buck 110 is clunky, too heavy and outdated by today's standards. I have 3 of them though. 4 if you count the plastic handle one with the thumb studs and pocket clip. I like the side by side provided by our friend FeralCatKillr it shows the similar size and profile. I like the clip on the 110 but the drop point with a better skinning blade has it's uses. It would make a great hunting knife now all I have to do is get a deer I can use it on, sorry Kalinga.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts