Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little new to concealed carry but have had years of experience shooting handguns. Nonetheless, I accidentally flashed my pocketgun at a friend who is gun-shy: We were camping, it was raining, and I crawled into the tent with my raingear on. As I contorted myself to shed the wet layer within the confines of the tent, my gun fell halfway out of my pocket, holster and all. I shoved it back in and kept on with the conversation we were having like nothing had happened, but a few minutes later they asked... Hey...? Are you carrying... a gun??? :O

I confessed I was, then we talked about it. It was very humbling because it showed a temporary lack of control with my gun. I now am very careful to choose pants that aren't too loose or too tight with my method of carry.

Anyone else have any stories?

·
Registered
505 Posts
When I have carried on my 5 o'clock owb, my sweatshirt covering has lifted up when reaching for a box on a top shelf at Walmart, but nobody was in the aisle. I just picked up a iwb holster for my P97, so I'll see how it works.

·
Registered
236 Posts
IWB holsters are fine, except that you have to buy new clothes to wear them (larger waist pants and belts)! Being retired and on a fixed income, that's not an option for me. I really like my Thunderwear deep concealment holster. It prevents accidental viewing, yet allows fairly quick access, should the unthinkable occur.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I have collected swarms of Bees from the local towns for years. The Police Dept. from here called me last summer to get a swarm that was close to the street going to school and they were afraid the school kids might get stung. The City had hired a couple of new LEO's and when I got to where the Bees were nearly all the Police force and a lot of the local Residents were there to watch me put the Bees in a hive. They were about 8' above the ground and I had a set of pruning shears that I could reach them with. I set the hive under the bees and with everyone in a big circle watching, reached up with the shears to cut the limb, and exposed my CCW. One of the Officers jokingly ask if I was going to shoot the bees with it, and I told him that I didn't bring along enough Ammo. I was embarrassed but no one said anything else about it. A lot were asking questions about the bees, and I was glad that helped direct the attention to them instead of the gun.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Uhhh I hate bees!!! Probably wouldn't mind them if I wasn't allergic to them. What do you do with that kind of bee? I'm assuming that they weren't honey bees if they weren't in a hive somewhere?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great story! It makes me feel better.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Uhhh I hate bees!!! Probably wouldn't mind them if I wasn't allergic to them. What do you do with that kind of bee? I'm assuming that they weren't honey bees if they weren't in a hive somewhere?
They were Honey Bees. They swarm in the summertime when they get crowded in a hive or tree. When I was a lot younger I kept around 150 hives and sold honey. Now I just keep a few.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Flash mine all the time -but then I don't care as OC is just as legal here as Concealed! I could care less if the sheeple get scared. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Accidentally showing your Concealed carry piece is no big deal here in AZ.
Arizona is an open carry state.
If it is seen by an LEO, he MIGHT ask to see your license.
If it's in a bar or restaurant that serves booze, you will be asked to deposit the weapon in your vehicle.
Now intentionally BRANDISHING your weapon, without just cause, in public, might get you into trouble!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
IWB holsters are fine, except that you have to buy new clothes to wear them (larger waist pants and belts)! Being retired and on a fixed income, that's not an option for me. I really like my Thunderwear deep concealment holster. It prevents accidental viewing, yet allows fairly quick access, should the unthinkable occur.
I always carry with an IWB holster and never had to buy new clothes. I do let my belt loosen a notch.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Open carry is legal here in Alabama as well but I do try to keep mine concealed. The only time I know of where I accidentally showed my carry gun is one time at Lowe's. I was trying to load some 4X8 sheets of decking in the back of my truck and a guy saw me struggling came over to help. I was trying to hold the sheet up while he shut the tail gate and my shirt was a little to short.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I won't say I "Flashed" my piece. Indecent Exposure is a charge I don't want on my record. :D

As for my gun being seen...yes, once in grocery store in Washington state, I had a shoulder sling and an old lady saw it under my jacket when I reached up for an item. She called the cops in a panic and the Officer came and checked me out. Once he saw my CWP, he was pretty unhappy he was called in for something so trivial. (not at me, the old lady)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Only once and it was in my own apartment. We were moving to a house and had hired a moving company. The movers were moving things while I finished packing a few things. I bent down to put some stuff in a box and my shirt rode up. I turned around and one of the movers had his mouth wide open looking at me. I just kept working like it hadn't happened. I am sure they were honest workers, but they sure knew not to steal anything after that.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Never accidentally flashed it, but I did have to purposefully draw it to ward off two "assailants" with knives that tried to rob me. Once the realized that they brought knives to the proverbial gun fight they turned and ran, which is what I hoped they would do. When I drew it, I knew I was committed and would have followed through, if necessary. Thankfully, the sight of a Colt 1911 .45, was enough to make them think twice.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
I carried at my gun at my store so I always hid it under a smock or sweater. In nj not legal except on your property so I kept it hidden well.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
This is where it is nice to live in a State that does not have a brandishing law and open carry is not illegal.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It happens to me almost every time I get out of the car. No matter how long my shirt is how low my car is to the ground and the angle of the seats does not play nice with my gun. When sitting down I have to bend in such a way my shirt rides up and sits right on top of the grip. Getting out of the car I just pull it back down. I'm sure a few people have seen it during that time but no one has said anything.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The day my IWB holster came in, I hadn't yet purchased appropriate clothing. I threw on a t-shirt that had shrunk some in the dryer, and I went to the grocery, SR9 at 5:00. I was constantly pulling my shirt down, and I know it was printing pretty bad. I immediately went out and bought a few loose fitting, short-sleeved button down shirts and a couple new t-shirts that fit better. I also found that the SR9 carries better for me at 4:00. I haven't had much of an issue since then.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts