Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Ruger Red Label 12 gauge. I don't have a safe so I keep it clean, oiled place in a silicon sock and then in a plastic gun case. I read that gun socks aren't generally good but yet the silicon socks are promoted as preventing rust. I could go out and buy a gun safe but those suckers weight a ton and wouldn't make it down the basement stairs. Or should I store the Red Label in the cardboard box it came in? Any feed back on silicon gun socks.

Oxe,

·
Registered
827 Posts
Even if you cannot get a safe, just get s simple StackON cabinet. That way you can just wipe it down with an oiled rag and stand it up in the cabinet. Unless your house or the place you put the cabinet is subject to unusually high humidity you should not get rust.

My house humidity sits pretty near 50% most of the time (dryer now) as even in summer, my windows are usually closed and the A/C on. My guns get wiped down with Ballistol and placed in a ventilated gun cabinet, which just sits in a closet so is at whatever temp & humidity the rest of the place is.

I check them all at least every month, but I have had no rust problems. I think keeping them stored in a well ventilated placement without high humidity is better than any small closed hard or soft case.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
One of my gun safes is a smaller StackOn and it came unassembled which made it very easy to move to where I wanted it and set about putting it together. If there's a chance your basement has higher than normal humidity, you can always buy decassent to keep in the safe.

·
Banned
411 Posts
Get a high quality steel cabinet. It's almost as secure as a safe and it's not expensive.

Best value by far.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
One of my gun safes is a smaller StackOn and it came unassembled which made it very easy to move to where I wanted it and set about putting it together. If there's a chance your basement has higher than normal humidity, you can always buy decassent to keep in the safe.
Humidity isn't a problem at my home. I've been keeping them in silicon gun socks, inside hard cases but I read that long term, foam lined cases aren't a good idea. So now, I was thinking of putting them on a vertical gun rack in the closet, in silicone gun socks. I though about a gun safe but basically you need to put it in the basement just after they pour the concrete floor case you'll never get one of those suckers down the basement stairs.

I suppose I could put a Stack On in the closet with a desiccant pack. The one thing I don't like with the Stack On is the foam bits inside but I suppose just about anything can cause rust if you don't inspect and clean your guns.

Oxe

·
Registered
827 Posts
If humidity is not a problem, and you are wiping them down thoroughly with oil, the gun socks really should not be necessary. Just be sure to do a good job with the oily rag and not leave fingerprints (skin oil can be a problem on blued steel), and then just leave them to the ambient environment (so a basic gun rack in a closet, or a steel cabinet or something that exchanges air with the outside). Should be no problem.

Be sure to run an oiled patch through the bore too though, as that will be bare, unfinished steel.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'll second or third getting an inexpensive stackon style cabinet...What ever you do don't store it in anything that will attract moisture, unless you like rust. Lightly oiled and open to the air is best.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts