Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Over the course of my postings here I have chronicled a snippet into my own "self loathing" of sorts.
I started with a gang of vietnam vets who hung together. My dad, his brother John, his buddy Frank Fox, and my two best friends dad Jay Amstutz and Kevin Mcluaghlin. And a few others. My grand dad was a ww2 vet and my other grand father korea. They kind of looked down on my dads buds, but not in a bad way, more like a worried father. (Duh).
I was taught "the way of the gun" like so many of you at a very early age. Given a single .410 and told to learn. Hunting with them all was a unique, fun experience.
Ok now my reason for posting. "You use handguns all wrong, they get you to a rifle boy. Nothing more". "You use 9mm way too much son. Get away from it or it will spoil you". "Shotguns are fine, large rifles are finer". "Make each shot count, don't count so much on always having ammunition" "those gizmos are great, don't depend on them"...and on and on. All of which have proven true.
I am slated to go on a hunting trip with my own friends, who know me and depend on me for long shot follow ups. It has been 22 years since I have been on a hunt like this. We travel a few states and do some crazy fun stuff. But I can't bring myself to get ready. This past weekend I played with my 9mm's and left my "real rifles" in the safe. Am I ruined? Idk.
Can't mention it to my dad, or "I told you" will be all I hear. Can't mention it to my buds, or "wtf loser" is all I will hear.
So I am slightly upset. No advice needed, I know the truth. But its always appreciated. I gotta get that savage ready for the wild again. Hoping a 200 yard zero does the trick with the 30-06. I will not reach past 600. They want a moose, so idk.
Plant Vertebrate Ecoregion Working animal Tree

·
Super Moderator
6,644 Posts
We like what we like, there is no spoiled. Honestly, I shoot handguns the most because that is the easiest for me. All I have to do is drive less than 10 minutes from work and I am at an indoor range. So, handguns at an indoor range. Least favorite type of shooting, but it’s still better than not shooting. The .30-06 is just fine for moose. Don’t worry about 600 yards. Know where it hits out to 200 and you will be fine. Closer is better. Make a game out of it. Dig out the .30-06, get it sighted in and hitting where you want, and have a couple milk jugs out at the 200 yard line. See how many shots it takes you to hit the jugs. At the rifle range it’s always funny to pull out a 1911 and watch peoples faces when you are able to ring the 200 yard gong a couple times per mag.
Of course, if you are dedicated to the handgun, sounds like you need to get yourself a real hunting handgun.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We like what we like, there is no spoiled. Honestly, I shoot handguns the most because that is the easiest for me. All I have to do is drive less than 10 minutes from work and I am at an indoor range. So, handguns at an indoor range. Least favorite type of shooting, but it’s still better than not shooting. The .30-06 is just fine for moose. Don’t worry about 600 yards. Know where it hits out to 200 and you will be fine. Closer is better. Make a game out of it. Dig out the .30-06, get it sighted in and hitting where you want, and have a couple milk jugs out at the 200 yard line. See how many shots it takes you to hit the jugs. At the rifle range it’s always funny to pull out a 1911 and watch peoples faces when you are able to ring the 200 yard gong a couple times per mag.
Of course, if you are dedicated to the handgun, sounds like you need to get yourself a real hunting handgun.
Thanks, and yeah, there is a 454 thompson I am supposed to buy from an old pal. I hit with it pretty accurate at the 100m point. he claims I passed the test so I have to buy it, "it's claimed you now" he says :ROFLMAO: He is a bit off, Grenada, South America in country urgent fury vet. He built my .223 Wylde for me too.

·
Registered
15,771 Posts
Over the course of my postings here I have chronicled a snippet into my own "self loathing" of sorts.
I started with a gang of vietnam vets who hung together. My dad, his brother John, his buddy Frank Fox, and my best friends dad Kevin Mcluaghlin. And a few others. My grand dad was a ww2 vet and my other grand father korea. They kind of looked down on my dads buds, but not in a bad way, more like a worried father. (Duh).
I was taught "the way of the gun" like so many of you at a very early age. Given a single .410 and told to learn. Hunting with them all was a unique, fun experience.
Ok now my reason for posting. "You use handguns all wrong, they get you to a rifle boy. Nothing more". "You use 9mm way too much son. Get away from it or it will spoil you". "Shotguns are fine, large rifles are finer". "Make each shot count, don't count so much on always having ammunition" "those gizmos are great, don't depend on them"...and on and on. All of which have proven true.
I am slated to go on a hunting trip with my own friends, who know me and depend on me for long shot follow ups. It has been 22 years since I have been on a hunt like this. We travel a few states and do some crazy fun stuff. But I can't bring myself to get ready. This past weekend I played with my 9mm's and left my "real rifles" in the safe. Am I ruined? Idk.
Can't mention it to my dad, or "I told you" will be all I hear. Can't mention it to my buds, or "wtf loser" is all I will hear.
So I am slightly upset. No advice needed, I know the truth. But its always appreciated. I gotta get that savage ready for the wild again. Hoping a 200 yard zero does the trick with the 30-06. I will not reach past 600. They want a moose, so idk. View attachment 176424
You're going to need a bigger boat ...

·
Registered
15,771 Posts
Well, I've heard this story multiple times, so it must have some truth. When my dad and his siblings were growing up in the hills of Pennsylvania, they were pretty much dirt poor. When they went say rabbit hunting, they were given say 10 rounds of ammo with the expectation that they would return with 10 rabbits. There was never room for well this that or the other thing. My point is, they honed their hunting and shooting with long guns. I'm pretty sure my father didn't own a handgun till well into his 30's after he had moved to Ohio.

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
I practice more with handguns because it is what I carry and they are harder to shoot. A long gun is much easier to be accurate with. Getting old might have something to do with it. I would much prefer to grab a shotgun, PCC or an AR than my pistol in the house. Hard to carry them concealed. I make my wife practice with her handgun. She much prefers the rifle but she does not want the rifle sitting next to her side of the bed or mine for that matter. The pistols are out of sight in the nightstands.
I do shoot rifles at 50 to 100 yards and occasionally out to 300 yards so I know what to expect. When I was hunting I used to zero the 06 3" high at 100 yards which put me in the kill zone out to 300 yards. If I remember the actual zero was around 220 yards.
I remember the 1st time I saw a moose. I wanted a 300 mag. I used a 375 H&H to kill one. Looking back it was only 25 yards and I could have used my 12 gauge with Brenneke slugs. All the moose we saw were close.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I practice more with handguns because it is what I carry and they are harder to shoot. A long gun is much easier to be accurate with. Getting old might have something to do with it. I would much prefer to grab a shotgun, PCC or an AR than my pistol in the house. Hard to carry them concealed. I make my wife practice with her handgun. She much prefers the rifle but she does not want the rifle sitting next to her side of the bed or mine for that matter. The pistols are out of sight in the nightstands.
I do shoot rifles at 50 to 100 yards and occasionally out to 300 yards so I know what to expect. When I was hunting I used to zero the 06 3" high at 100 yards which put me in the kill zone out to 300 yards. If I remember the actual zero was around 220 yards.
I remember the 1st time I saw a moose. I wanted a 300 mag. I used a 375 H&H to kill one. Looking back it was only 25 yards and I could have used my 12 gauge with Brenneke slugs. All the moose we saw were close.
I'm with you regarding the difficulty of shooting handguns. They do take a lot more training to use to their fullest potential. I also shoot mine a LOT more than I do my rifles. Part of that also has to do with the ease of getting range time for handguns, and part of it is also the ease of cleaning them after a range session when compared to a rifle.

I actually keep my daily carry P365 between the bed frame and mattress so I can grab it if need be in the middle of the night. It isn't to get me to a long gun, either. I am comfortable enough with that pistol that I have the utmost confidence in what it can do for me if the chips are down.

Back in July, I fired some of my long guns, and it was the first time in a couple of years that I'd touched them. So far, I've been discovering that a lot of people I've been out shooting with since I retired from the Army don't shoot rifles standing very much. Most shoot only from benches or prone. Practicing firing while standing unsupported is a valuable skill with a rifle, though, and I've always practiced it. It was just never as fast as a handgun for me, though.

I learned some techniques for using a rifle at closer ranges from a detailed discussion I had with someone I talked to while shooting my Redhawk at the range the end of 2021, and I dry practiced some of what he told me at home. When I finally applied it in July, that first time in a couple of years that I ever touched a rifle on a range, I was pretty impressed with the results.

I'm now going to be integrating more rifle training into my range regimen. I got pretty inspired when I was popping clay pigeons set up about 25 yards a lot faster than before with that c-clamp method. I'll continue shooting from a standing unsupported position to do it, too. I'm going to be pushing it back out to 100 yards for those standing shots. I had good results at 50 yards back in August on a B-29 target with my Galil Ace using the MBUS irons. I got a Sig Romeo 2 for it, and I'm going to be using it at 100 with that.

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
My wife and I do close range drills with handgun, rifle and shotgun all standing. Just got her to shoot the 410. I take them out to 35 yards. She usually stays 5-15 yards, Home defense ranges. She says it is boring shooting from the bench. I will go to the 100 and 300 if they are not busy and shoot at the steel target. I verify sight in from the bench but then go offhand standing which can be embarrassing if you are having a bad day. I usually only do it when no one else is there or only a few shots.

·
"The Real Deal"
10,579 Posts
You're going to need a bigger boat ...
As my springfield armory shirt says... " Bring enough gun". Very good advice.

I'm thinking 7mm mag, 300 mag, the bigger thumpers. A bonded bullet as well.

But I'm not spoiled I rotate what I shoot small, big, and all in between. I believe being proficient with them all. My zeros are the same for rifle, then all the pistol calibers are as well. That helps when swapping firearms. But I will admit some are harder to be as smooth as I'd like to be with them.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I could not shoot a moose. I don't know if anyone here has seen one with their own eyes, but they are enormous and majestic animals. We lived in Alaska for three years when I was small and my dad was stationed at Fort Wainwright.in Fairbanks. You could be in your car and come around a corner in the mountains and a large bull moose would be standing in the middle of the road. The only the thing you could do was wait for him to get bored with staring at you and move along.

Did I mention they are enormous? ;)

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I could not shoot a moose. I don't know if anyone here has seen one with their own eyes, but they are enormous and majestic animals. We lived in Alaska for three years when I was small and my dad was stationed at Fort Wainwright.in Fairbanks. You could be in your car and come around a corner in the mountains and a large bull moose would be standing in the middle of the road. The only the thing you could do was wait for him to get bored with staring at you and move along.

Bison too. Folks think, "wow that's so cool" until they are too close, then the size differential begins to show....

·
Registered
704 Posts
Sight your 30-06 in at 200 yards, then go to Shooterscalculator.com/ballistic-trajectory-chart. Fill in the data you have on your ammunition, then see what kind of drop you have at 600 yards with a 200 yard zero.

Or not. Just sight it in for 200 yards, and get within 200 yards or less.

The whole object of the trip is to have fun, so just get ready for it. Pack what you need to be comfortable and just do it.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Sight your 30-06 in at 200 yards, then go to Shooterscalculator.com/ballistic-trajectory-chart. Fill in the data you have on your ammunition, then see what kind of drop you have at 600 yards with a 200 yard zero.

Or not. Just sight it in for 200 yards, and get within 200 yards or less.

The whole object of the trip is to have fun, so just get ready for it. Pack what you need to be comfortable and just do it.
Hunting isn't about the kill. It's about being on the hunt in the woods. I've spent a lot of time hunting and brought back nothing. Where I used to hunt hogs, it was luck of the draw as to whether or not they would wander through my ambush spot. In the end, just having spent a few hours hanging out either in a stand or a likely patch of brush was good enough to enjoy it.

Learning all of the little sounds like distinguishing between a raccoon, possum, otter or armadillo crashing through the brush and the sound of a hog moving creates a connection with the woods that one could never otherwise achieve. Recognizing the sound of a lizard jumping onto a palm frond and distinguishing that from the sound of something else falling from higher was another fun thing.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Bison too. Folks think, "wow that's so cool" until they are too close, then the size differential begins to show....

I was in Alaska a few years back doing ski training at Fort Richardson. As part of our training, teams were trucked to various sights in the mountains to bivouac and get ready for a training mission. A buddy of mine and I decided we would do a little recon up the mountain, just to practice our cross-country skiing on the rough terrain. As we returned to our bivouac site down a fire trail, we built up a little speed. And then, just yards away from us, a moose emerged from the pines and stopped on the trail. We both gave a yell, slid down in the snow, and stopped at ski pole range from the moose. Luckily for us, the moose decided to quickly decamp the vicinity. A moose looks very large when you are lying in the snow only a couple of yards from them.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
@Redhawk100 brought it up earlier, killing is just the second to last step of hunting. The main reason I prefer to hunt in my state on private or public land, is it doesn’t cost me a lot of money or time to get myself in a place to hunt.

With no real time and money invested in a day in the woods, I could care less if I “waste” it photographing animals and passing on the small ones. I can sit for a week patiently.

If I have paid for a hunt, I become obsessed with it and to be honest, enjoy it less.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts