Ruger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Over the course of my postings here I have chronicled a snippet into my own "self loathing" of sorts.
I started with a gang of vietnam vets who hung together. My dad, his brother John, his buddy Frank Fox, and my best friends dad Kevin Mcluaghlin. And a few others. My grand dad was a ww2 vet and my other grand father korea. They kind of looked down on my dads buds, but not in a bad way, more like a worried father. (Duh).
I was taught "the way of the gun" like so many of you at a very early age. Given a single .410 and told to learn. Hunting with them all was a unique, fun experience.
Ok now my reason for posting. "You use handguns all wrong, they get you to a rifle boy. Nothing more". "You use 9mm way too much son. Get away from it or it will spoil you". "Shotguns are fine, large rifles are finer". "Make each shot count, don't count so much on always having ammunition" "those gizmos are great, don't depend on them"...and on and on. All of which have proven true.
I am slated to go on a hunting trip with my own friends, who know me and depend on me for long shot follow ups. It has been 22 years since I have been on a hunt like this. We travel a few states and do some crazy fun stuff. But I can't bring myself to get ready. This past weekend I played with my 9mm's and left my "real rifles" in the safe. Am I ruined? Idk.
Can't mention it to my dad, or "I told you" will be all I hear. Can't mention it to my buds, or "wtf loser" is all I will hear.
So I am slightly upset. No advice needed, I know the truth. But its always appreciated. I gotta get that savage ready for the wild again. Hoping a 200 yard zero does the trick with the 30-06. I will not reach past 600. They want a moose, so idk.
Plant Vertebrate Ecoregion Working animal Tree

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We like what we like, there is no spoiled. Honestly, I shoot handguns the most because that is the easiest for me. All I have to do is drive less than 10 minutes from work and I am at an indoor range. So, handguns at an indoor range. Least favorite type of shooting, but it’s still better than not shooting. The .30-06 is just fine for moose. Don’t worry about 600 yards. Know where it hits out to 200 and you will be fine. Closer is better. Make a game out of it. Dig out the .30-06, get it sighted in and hitting where you want, and have a couple milk jugs out at the 200 yard line. See how many shots it takes you to hit the jugs. At the rifle range it’s always funny to pull out a 1911 and watch peoples faces when you are able to ring the 200 yard gong a couple times per mag.
Of course, if you are dedicated to the handgun, sounds like you need to get yourself a real hunting handgun.
Thanks, and yeah, there is a 454 thompson I am supposed to buy from an old pal. I hit with it pretty accurate at the 100m point. he claims I passed the test so I have to buy it, "it's claimed you now" he says :ROFLMAO: He is a bit off, Grenada, South America in country urgent fury vet. He built my .223 Wylde for me too.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I could not shoot a moose. I don't know if anyone here has seen one with their own eyes, but they are enormous and majestic animals. We lived in Alaska for three years when I was small and my dad was stationed at Fort Wainwright.in Fairbanks. You could be in your car and come around a corner in the mountains and a large bull moose would be standing in the middle of the road. The only the thing you could do was wait for him to get bored with staring at you and move along.

Did I mention they are enormous? ;)
Bison too. Folks think, "wow that's so cool" until they are too close, then the size differential begins to show....

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
@Redhawk100 brought it up earlier, killing is just the second to last step of hunting. The main reason I prefer to hunt in my state on private or public land, is it doesn’t cost me a lot of money or time to get myself in a place to hunt.

With no real time and money invested in a day in the woods, I could care less if I “waste” it photographing animals and passing on the small ones. I can sit for a week patiently.

If I have paid for a hunt, I become obsessed with it and to be honest, enjoy it less.
Thats the thing. These guys do this to me. "Come on, come with us, we will die and miss without you!" No preasure right? In their defense they are all more than capable, I am just easy to blame. Broad shoulders I guess :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Nah. Peer pressure is only not feeling secure with yourself. I don't hunt anymore. Have not in decades. Have no desire to kill animals, unless we were starving as a last resort. I shoot for fun and self protection only. I could really care less what others do and I could care less what others think of me. I'm me and others are them. Who gives a rats behind what people think. Am I a p*ssy for not wanting to kill cute little and big animals? I'm sure some think so and I could give a sh*t less LOL.
not at all!
hunting ain't for everyone. Before I mow though here is a strange revelation I had this morning watching the blue birds and blue jays dart after a squirrel in one of my wife's gardens. When I was very young, and my wife at her present age would have seen the scene and thought they were playing.... I saw a life and death fight over resources. it is all in perspective as to what we see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts