Ruger Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I practice more with handguns because it is what I carry and they are harder to shoot. A long gun is much easier to be accurate with. Getting old might have something to do with it. I would much prefer to grab a shotgun, PCC or an AR than my pistol in the house. Hard to carry them concealed. I make my wife practice with her handgun. She much prefers the rifle but she does not want the rifle sitting next to her side of the bed or mine for that matter. The pistols are out of sight in the nightstands.
I do shoot rifles at 50 to 100 yards and occasionally out to 300 yards so I know what to expect. When I was hunting I used to zero the 06 3" high at 100 yards which put me in the kill zone out to 300 yards. If I remember the actual zero was around 220 yards.
I remember the 1st time I saw a moose. I wanted a 300 mag. I used a 375 H&H to kill one. Looking back it was only 25 yards and I could have used my 12 gauge with Brenneke slugs. All the moose we saw were close.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
My wife and I do close range drills with handgun, rifle and shotgun all standing. Just got her to shoot the 410. I take them out to 35 yards. She usually stays 5-15 yards, Home defense ranges. She says it is boring shooting from the bench. I will go to the 100 and 300 if they are not busy and shoot at the steel target. I verify sight in from the bench but then go offhand standing which can be embarrassing if you are having a bad day. I usually only do it when no one else is there or only a few shots.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts