Ruger Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Sight your 30-06 in at 200 yards, then go to Shooterscalculator.com/ballistic-trajectory-chart. Fill in the data you have on your ammunition, then see what kind of drop you have at 600 yards with a 200 yard zero.

Or not. Just sight it in for 200 yards, and get within 200 yards or less.

The whole object of the trip is to have fun, so just get ready for it. Pack what you need to be comfortable and just do it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Bison too. Folks think, "wow that's so cool" until they are too close, then the size differential begins to show....
I could not shoot a moose. I don't know if anyone here has seen one with their own eyes, but they are enormous and majestic animals. We lived in Alaska for three years when I was small and my dad was stationed at Fort Wainwright.in Fairbanks. You could be in your car and come around a corner in the mountains and a large bull moose would be standing in the middle of the road. The only the thing you could do was wait for him to get bored with staring at you and move along.

Did I mention they are enormous? ;)
I was in Alaska a few years back doing ski training at Fort Richardson. As part of our training, teams were trucked to various sights in the mountains to bivouac and get ready for a training mission. A buddy of mine and I decided we would do a little recon up the mountain, just to practice our cross-country skiing on the rough terrain. As we returned to our bivouac site down a fire trail, we built up a little speed. And then, just yards away from us, a moose emerged from the pines and stopped on the trail. We both gave a yell, slid down in the snow, and stopped at ski pole range from the moose. Luckily for us, the moose decided to quickly decamp the vicinity. A moose looks very large when you are lying in the snow only a couple of yards from them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts