Ruger Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14,950 Posts
Over the course of my postings here I have chronicled a snippet into my own "self loathing" of sorts.
I started with a gang of vietnam vets who hung together. My dad, his brother John, his buddy Frank Fox, and my best friends dad Kevin Mcluaghlin. And a few others. My grand dad was a ww2 vet and my other grand father korea. They kind of looked down on my dads buds, but not in a bad way, more like a worried father. (Duh).
I was taught "the way of the gun" like so many of you at a very early age. Given a single .410 and told to learn. Hunting with them all was a unique, fun experience.
Ok now my reason for posting. "You use handguns all wrong, they get you to a rifle boy. Nothing more". "You use 9mm way too much son. Get away from it or it will spoil you". "Shotguns are fine, large rifles are finer". "Make each shot count, don't count so much on always having ammunition" "those gizmos are great, don't depend on them"...and on and on. All of which have proven true.
I am slated to go on a hunting trip with my own friends, who know me and depend on me for long shot follow ups. It has been 22 years since I have been on a hunt like this. We travel a few states and do some crazy fun stuff. But I can't bring myself to get ready. This past weekend I played with my 9mm's and left my "real rifles" in the safe. Am I ruined? Idk.
Can't mention it to my dad, or "I told you" will be all I hear. Can't mention it to my buds, or "wtf loser" is all I will hear.
So I am slightly upset. No advice needed, I know the truth. But its always appreciated. I gotta get that savage ready for the wild again. Hoping a 200 yard zero does the trick with the 30-06. I will not reach past 600. They want a moose, so idk. View attachment 176424
You're going to need a bigger boat ...

·
Registered
14,950 Posts
Well, I've heard this story multiple times, so it must have some truth. When my dad and his siblings were growing up in the hills of Pennsylvania, they were pretty much dirt poor. When they went say rabbit hunting, they were given say 10 rounds of ammo with the expectation that they would return with 10 rabbits. There was never room for well this that or the other thing. My point is, they honed their hunting and shooting with long guns. I'm pretty sure my father didn't own a handgun till well into his 30's after he had moved to Ohio.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts