Ruger Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
@Redhawk100 brought it up earlier, killing is just the second to last step of hunting. The main reason I prefer to hunt in my state on private or public land, is it doesn’t cost me a lot of money or time to get myself in a place to hunt.

With no real time and money invested in a day in the woods, I could care less if I “waste” it photographing animals and passing on the small ones. I can sit for a week patiently.

If I have paid for a hunt, I become obsessed with it and to be honest, enjoy it less.
Thats the thing. These guys do this to me. "Come on, come with us, we will die and miss without you!" No preasure right? In their defense they are all more than capable, I am just easy to blame. Broad shoulders I guess :ROFLMAO:

·
"The Real Deal"
10,232 Posts

·
"The Real Deal"
10,232 Posts
Thats the thing. These guys do this to me. "Come on, come with us, we will die and miss without you!" No preasure right? In their defense they are all more than capable, I am just easy to blame. Broad shoulders I guess :ROFLMAO:
Peer pressure is a mother $%&^%##. It goes right along with hey watch this...

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I could not shoot a moose. I don't know if anyone here has seen one with their own eyes, but they are enormous and majestic animals. We lived in Alaska for three years when I was small and my dad was stationed at Fort Wainwright.in Fairbanks. You could be in your car and come around a corner in the mountains and a large bull moose would be standing in the middle of the road. The only the thing you could do was wait for him to get bored with staring at you and move along.

Did I mention they are enormous? ;)
They are enormous. Once I was at some place with a moose trophy hung on the wall & said "That's probably about the right height." A guy said no way. When we got back to work, he looked up the stats, ~ 7ft at the shoulder, etc.

We worked on a project in Beulah, ND. Design conditions were 40 deg F below zero (wet bulb temp) with 50 mph sustained winds. A lot of things had to be custom made for the project. The locals had a lottery for the annual moose hunt. I heard that if you win, that's your only chance to bag a moose, you can't win a 2nd time. That was 30 years ago.

There were very few volunteers for start-up & I wasn't one of them.

{added ND moose lotto link: Moose Hunting | North Dakota Game and Fish}

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Hunting isn't about the kill. It's about being on the hunt in the woods. I've spent a lot of time hunting and brought back nothing. Where I used to hunt hogs, it was luck of the draw as to whether or not they would wander through my ambush spot. In the end, just having spent a few hours hanging out either in a stand or a likely patch of brush was good enough to enjoy it.

Learning all of the little sounds like distinguishing between a raccoon, possum, otter or armadillo crashing through the brush and the sound of a hog moving creates a connection with the woods that one could never otherwise achieve. Recognizing the sound of a lizard jumping onto a palm frond and distinguishing that from the sound of something else falling from higher was another fun thing.
I heard this saying recently when watching an outdoor survival video, "when it's dark even a chipmunk sounds like a bear".

·
Registered
265 Posts
Peer pressure is a mother $%&^%##. It goes right along with hey watch this...
Nah. Peer pressure is only not feeling secure with yourself. I don't hunt anymore. Have not in decades. Have no desire to kill animals, unless we were starving as a last resort. I shoot for fun and self protection only. I could really care less what others do and I could care less what others think of me. I'm me and others are them. Who gives a rats behind what people think. Am I a p*ssy for not wanting to kill cute little and big animals? I'm sure some think so and I could give a sh*t less LOL.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Nah. Peer pressure is only not feeling secure with yourself. I don't hunt anymore. Have not in decades. Have no desire to kill animals, unless we were starving as a last resort. I shoot for fun and self protection only. I could really care less what others do and I could care less what others think of me. I'm me and others are them. Who gives a rats behind what people think. Am I a p*ssy for not wanting to kill cute little and big animals? I'm sure some think so and I could give a sh*t less LOL.
not at all!
hunting ain't for everyone. Before I mow though here is a strange revelation I had this morning watching the blue birds and blue jays dart after a squirrel in one of my wife's gardens. When I was very young, and my wife at her present age would have seen the scene and thought they were playing.... I saw a life and death fight over resources. it is all in perspective as to what we see.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
This will be my last post for a good while. I do talk too much. Which is ok, except I cannot hear as well when I am gum bumping, or thumb thumping on a phone....
So I hide this gem of wisdom for those that may need it here.
Train. Train like your life depends on it. Because it may in fact. But remember that being good at violence is not a great goal. I fear nothing except God and I cannot always save those I love. There are way more valuable aspirations, loftier goals, and more worthy causes.
I am good at violence, it has brought little comfort. I learned to love people. The second one brought joy, the first one is of little value without the second.
Slowly I am forgetting the hate.
Have fun, shoot often, and shoot well.
Oh and buy American made stuff if you love Americans.

·
Registered
265 Posts
This will be my last post for a good while. I do talk too much. Which is ok, except I cannot hear as well when I am gum bumping, or thumb thumping on a phone....
So I hide this gem of wisdom for those that may need it here.
Train. Train like your life depends on it. Because it may in fact. But remember that being good at violence is not a great goal. I fear nothing except God and I cannot always save those I love. There are way more valuable aspirations, loftier goals, and more worthy causes.
I am good at violence, it has brought little comfort. I learned to love people. The second one brought joy, the first one is of little value without the second.
Slowly I am forgetting the hate.
Have fun, shoot often, and shoot well.
Oh and buy American made stuff if you love Americans.
I only have two three words........ Well said Sir. Okay, except this. Keep on talking, please! I enjoy reading your posts.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts