Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snuffy posted the question of being able to sleep the night before opening day over on gun stories, and Deputy's answer got me to thinking. Yeah, I know, I know, that thinking crap can get ya in trouble. Anyway, I decided to do a little inventory to determine just how much stuff I have. A cursory look-see produced these results:

10 pairs of camo pants

14 camo shirts

5 pairs of hunting boots, including snow boots

8 pairs of gloves

6 pairs of glove liners

16 (sixteen!!!) camo hats

5 camo jackets\coats

4 camo fleece vests

Countless camo T shirts

Countless times 2 wool socks

8 gutting\skinning\caping knives

8 butcher\boning knives (and 3 meat saws)

3 pairs of binoculars

1 range finder (and I don't do any serious bow hunting, not yet, anyway)

2 GPSs

4 sets of hand held radios

1 spotting scope

4 fanny packs

3 back packs

2 hand warmers - the kind you strap around your waist

2 pair of ankle snow gaiters

4 neck gaiters

3 baclavas\hoods

7 deer caliber rifles (8, if you count the .223)

1050 rounds of .223 (see above)

Over 800 rounds of 30.06

At least 200 rounds of 7mm mag, .270, & 8mm

400 rounds of 30.30

2 gambrels

4 tents

4 stoves

6 lanterns

1 quad with trailer

2 camp trailers (well, actually, it's down to one now, but that's another story)

2 trucks (one is strictly for hunting; Fugly is her name)

1 GMC Jimmy (as back up, like I need it)

More coolers and gas cans than you can shake a stick at

6 5 gal. water cans

A soft gun case for every rifle and shotgun

While I'm at it, 3 12 ga. and God only knows how many shot shells

Sleeping bags, wool blankets, cots, sleeping pads, chairs, folding tables, a camp kitchen, solar showers and all the other various and sundry trinkets, like maps, compasses, batteries, flash lights, game cam, calls, holsters, belts, and whistles and bells that I can possibly spend money on.

It's definitely a sickness, and that's only the hunting side of it. How many of you have purchased reloading dies for calibers you don't yet own? Scopes that don't have a rifle to call home yet? And we shake our heads at our women and their obsession with shoes and purses. I haven't even touched on fishing rods, reels, and lures! I think I'm going to have a yard sale and get rid of a lot of this stuff. Then I can go out and buy new and improved gear! Then I'm going to buy a semi to haul all my gear in. Did I mention 6 sets of thermal underwear?

Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I couldn't unnerstand why you had 10 pairs of britches...till I got to the bottom of the page and there hadn't been listed a portopotty of any kind...save time if you'd just wear hip waders while you were out and deal with it when you got home...but it's bound to keep the bears outa YOUR campsite...:D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What an astute observation, Sheepdog! Probably should have been at the top of the list. Actually, I have 2 portapottys, if you will. The kind that stand over a regular toilet for the elderly and\or handicapped. Sturdy and portable, high up enough that you're sitting instead of squatting, and cheap if you search the thrift stores. I wish the bears would stay out of camp, but we eat better in camp than we do at home. Seems the bears know this too and are lined up along the road to greet us as we head up to our camp. Hell, they've even been known to leave a tip after raiding and feasting on our groceries!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
That quite a collection there!
Now i am guilty of some of it, but my girl seems to be drawn uncontrolably to an Academy Sports.
When most girls are collecting barbie dolls, she is collecting hunting stuff.
She has doe pee, esterous doe pee, coon pee, fox pee, buck pee--just how much pee does one person need?!?! And soon she will be buying fresh pee.
Her money--so be it.
She will go nuts if she ever walks into a Cabella's.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Speaking of pee, I had to buy some Red Fox pee to put in an attic and keep squirrels out-that stuff stinks BIGTIME!!! Wolfie, sounds like that one potty could double as a tree stand...it'd sure discourage stalking...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well guys, I guess I am a bit over the top concerning gear, but I can justify it! Really, I can! Let's see, where do I start? First off, I have two hunting partners; one likes to hunt in zone D-6 and the other likes to hunt in zone D-7 and I love hunting with both of them. So, I get tags for both zones, and spend time with both of them throughout the season. Each of them grew up hunting in their respective zone, and you know how hard it is to get an old dog out of his familiar territory. So I have been setting up a trailer in each zone and I bounce from one to the other. Also, I usually take a minimum of 4 weeks off for deer season, sometimes more if I can swing it, and I spend a lot of time hunting and camping by myself, especially during the week. It's a lot easier and less time consuming to stop at home and drop off the dirty clothes and re-gear up before heading out to the next camp.

I'm kind of anal about cold weather and waterproof gear. Once you've had a hunt cut short because of wet feet and cold wet clothes, you plan and prepare for anything, especially in the Sierras. Never know when that freak storm will hit. So I definitely go over loaded but at least I'm ready and can stay up there no matter what the weather. Can't tell you how many trucks we've pulled out of snow banks and ditches because they weren't geared for inclement weather. Same goes for sharing the campfire and trailers with strangers who have been stranded and under clothed. Many a time we've sat around the campfire at midday and watched people fly down because of snow. We figure that if we can't get out tomorrow, we can get out in a couple of days when it melts off. The worse the weather is, the more we like it. Gets rid of the weekend warriors and cuts down on the dust. But in any case, I'm going to be warm and dry, from head to toe. Besides, we don't get snow regularly during our mid Sept. to end of Oct. season, and ya gotta be out there and ready when it does drop and the deer get to moving down out of the higher elevations. Both zones border Yosemite Park and both are natural migration funnels from the park. The Yosemite deer herd is legendary around here, with some real toads to be taken.

I also like to have extra gear on hand in case anyone in our camp forgot or lost something. I've probably given away as much gear as I currently have. A friend in need is a friend indeed, and a little generosity goes a long, long way. Besides, it's only stuff.

I suppose the underlying factor is that I just like to spend money. Trying to keep up with the wife, don't ya know. If any of you happen to be coming out this way during deer season or bear season, all you have to bring is your rifle, license and tag. I even do all the cooking in camp, and there's always a pot of coffee on. The only catch is that, since I do the cooking, all the other guys have to clean and haul my deer or bear for me. I shoot and they process. Works out great when I bag one on the weekend. But during the week when I'm by myself is usually the time that I tag out. One other catch is you have to clean your own fish before I'll cook them. The brookies and the 'bows are plentiful, if ya take the time. But I ain't cleanin' yers!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Sounds like good justification to me.! Your are indeed blessed to be able to take that much time to hunt with friends.
Question---where is zones d6 and d7? ---in California?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Till they make furnished Holiday Inn cabins, the more comfy you can be the better...down here, I'd add a screen tent, generator, and A/C-I don't like camping anymore...you pack for hunting like I used to pack for work...and your huntin' buddies better bring the seegars!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quote:Originally posted by deputy125

Sounds like good justification to me.! Your are indeed blessed to be able to take that much time to hunt with friends.
Question---where is zones d6 and d7? ---in California?
Yep, Deputy, right about in the middle of California's Eastern side, on the west slope of the Sierra Nevadas. Basically, D-6 runs north and west of Yosemite, and D-7 runs south and west of Yosemite. From foothills to chaparell to alpine to above the timber line. Beautiful country, but I am a bit biased.

Believe me, I know how fortunate I am to take a month off during hunting season, but it's not hard to do, as I save most of my holiday time and my vacation time for the year, and not too many people want late Sept. or Oct. vacations, so with that and a little seniority I don't have a problem with getting the time off. The wife understands, as she knows how many years that I couldn't hunt weekends and take extended amounts of time off while working in the restaurant business. Her only concern is for my safety, being up there for that long by myself, at least during the week. But I figure that I'd rather die in my beloved mountains while doing something I enjoy so much than anywhere else doing anything else. Doesn't make her feel any better about it, but I do take precautions to minimize the risks.

I never leave camp or my truck without my survival gear. I leave a radio with her and a friend or two, along with a map of the area I'll be hunting. My friends know my habits and the area well. The radios are locked onto a channel, and if something should happen, I'll broadcast a "mayday" at 5 minutes to the top of the hour til 5 minutes after the top of the hour, every hour. Say, 11:55 til 12:05, 12:55 til 1:05, etc. Saves on batteries and gives a lost or hurt person something to look forward to, kind of keeping the hope going. One's frame of mind is just as important as one's physical condition, if not more so. My wife knows to contact my buddies and the local rangers or sheriff's dept. in case of emergency and to give them the map and the radio. I also will not take any 4 x 4 road or track that I'm not familiar with if it is past 12 noon. I figure that if I bog down or break down during the morning hours, there will still be plenty of day light to hike out in. I had to pick a cut off time, and noon made the best sense, on the side of caution. Plus the heat will only get worse from noon on. If I come across a road that I don't know, I'll mark it on my map and GPS and come back to it the next day. I always carry a side arm and I keep my head on a swivel due to those no good, dirty rotten mountain lions. The sneaky good for nothing bast*rds are the one animal that strikes fear and loathing in me. I have no use for them, there's simply way too many of them. Black bears don't bother me, but I'm not the swiftest boat in the water...

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
How about some pics this next season? would like to look at that country just to get an idea of them Sierra Mts and the size of them deer in your part of the world. What we call mountains in my world you would probably call ant hills.

My long range hunting goal is to make it up to Colorado and go on an elk hunt before i die. Figure if i can get within 150 yds of an elk, i can take one with my .308.

Don't like the mountain lions either--one passes thru this country every once in a while and they seem to get into sheep and goats to kill just for the fun of killing. Rare to see one but we do get to see the aftermath.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How did you know that, Sheepdog? As a matter of fact, Jerry, one of my good hunting pards (THE Jerry from the hunting trailer saga) just happens to come across some of those "Havana" types on his yearly jaunt to Mexico, and brings 'em to camp in a Winchester logo shotshell travel humidor. The coolest thing for seegars in deer camp. We do live rather well while we're up there, we're not as young as we once were. Btw, Honda generators are the only way to go...

Peace and God bless, Wolf.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Portapottys on a hunting trip?? You can sure tell I'm outdated, whatever happened to bushes? Heck I remember thinking a small hole dug with a trenching shovel was the height of sanitary conditions:D
Baker

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
quote:Originally posted by btrumanj

Portapottys on a hunting trip?? You can sure tell I'm outdated, whatever happened to bushes? Heck I remember thinking a small hole dug with a trenching shovel was the height of sanitary conditions:D
Baker
You dug a hole?

·
Registered
842 Posts
"You dug a hole?"
Yep, and covered it up too.
Kansas, on the one trip when somebody stepped in someone's mess and tracked it in the tent we had to make a hard and fast rule.:D
Baker

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
too bad your not really into hunting there wolfsong lol. Sheepdog next time try a rubber snakes will sure keep the birds away and your mother law too. might work on squirrels as well.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
btrumanj, they'll give you hard time for peein' on the bushes these days-destroying the habitat of the east Ethiopian camel moth, dontcha know...and we were taught to dig and cover, too...in the Boy Scouts...but the way these guys eat while they're huntin'...probably look more like foxholes!!! Our hunts in La. were hunt all mornin'...go eat till you popped...hunt till dark...and many a T-shirt bit the dust...when you gotta go-you gotta go...and leaves don't cut it, Tarzan had to have had a roll of Charmin stashed somewhere...

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
quote:Originally posted by btrumanj

"You dug a hole?"
Yep, and covered it up too.
Kansas, on the one trip when somebody stepped in someone's mess and tracked it in the tent we had to make a hard and fast rule.:D
Baker
Well then, that was a good idea![^]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts