Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone here has much experience with this powder? I'd heard some rumblings about it and happened to stumble upon some in an LGS lately. At $18 a lbs I figured it was worth taking a chance on. Expansion Industies lists a few basic loads on their website and it seems like a relatively versatile powder. Haven't seen it listed in any burn rate charts, but judging by the listed charges it must be a fairly fast burner. I plan to try it in .380 and .40 loadings once my supply of TiteGroup is depleted.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
It's actually Maxam CSB-1 powder, plenty of load data available for that. It's a Spanish manufacturer that also makes shot shells in Texas.

I think it mostly sells because it's available and cheap. The guys I know who have used it are pretty much using it the same as they would use TiteGroup but, naturally, work up loads for your own needs and safety. One guy I know who shoots SASS uses it in .45 LC at the same loads he used for Unique and is quite happy. He switched because Unique was not available for a while and this was.

By the way, just email Expansion and ask for load data, they have it available. Start light and work it up for yourself.

The Maxam powder is only available to commercial ammunition loaders in large drums, which is why Expansion is likely getting it to begin with. Since they are a manufacturer in Virgina, they buy a ton of this and are likely repackaging it for retail under their own brand.

Jeff

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Why mess with it when many top shelf powders are available.

.40 S&W would be better with a slower powder than Titegroup.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why mess with it when many top shelf powders are available.

.40 S&W would be better with a slower powder than Titegroup.
Bought it more or less as an impulse buy. I have plenty of other "top shelf" powders on my shelf. Figured I'd ask here if anyone was using it or cared for it. Sure there are better option for .40 S&W. I never called that into question. My standard powder for .40 is AutoComp. If I try ETR7 and don't like it, it's an $18 bottle of fertilizer. No big loss.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
That Autocomp is very similar in velocity to my favorite CFE Pistol.

Let us know how the powder works.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'm just finishing up my first 4 lb jug of it. Works well for 147g 9mm. Clean burning, soft shooting, and accurate.

I'm using 3.7 grains at a 1.12 OAL under Acme RNFP bullets. Power factor measured at 136.

It's a small flake powder so runs consistent through the powder measure. Price is decent if you buy several jugs at a time to spread out the hazmat fee.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm just finishing up my first 4 lb jug of it. Works well for 147g 9mm. Clean burning, soft shooting, and accurate.

I'm using 3.7 grains at a 1.12 OAL under Acme RNFP bullets. Power factor measured at 136.

It's a small flake powder so runs consistent through the powder measure. Price is decent if you buy several jugs at a time to spread out the hazmat fee.
Glad to hear you're having good results with it. I'll be loading up 2.5gn behind a 100gn Berry's once I get some .380 brass tumbled. If it produces clean and reliable range fodder for my LCP that's really all I'm looking for from this powder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts