Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, there are a lot of them!

I need something that is fast to change mags for 2 gun rimfire matches but there are so many and not really anything but individual reviews.

What do you use, do you like or not and why?

The Volquartsen looks small and not much of an advantage, TacSol looks harder to use than the FireSwitch. Not using any of them before I think I would prefer to reach in front and pull. And then there are a dozen(s) more.

Installing it on a TCR22. First day out and there is a seem on the face of it that is not well finished and it's fairly easy to push forward but it's digging into my finger. Going to smooth this one down for this Saturday but definitely need something faster.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have tried a few, and I settled on the fact that the Ruger one is well designed, fits the trigger guard, and you can roll your trigger finger off the trigger, hit the mag release without changing your grip, and drop the mag.

I have a timber creek extended one that goes all the way under the trigger guard, and it works great, I just think I like the Ruger factory one better. It is really well designed.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/magazine-parts/magazine-releases/10-22-extended-magazine-release-prod88637.aspx

sbsb.jpg

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have two from tacticool for two different 1022 rifles.
They were easy to install and work perfectly, they are the style that follows the contour of the trigger guard and the tab end sits just behind and below the trigger guard. You can operate them with your middle finger while leaving your trigger finger in the guard for very quick magazine changes, no need to shift positions.
Very easy to use even with gloves on.
I had tried the releases that were just an extension and ones that come halfway down and ones that come partialy to the trigger guard and was not happy with them, that was a personal prefernce.( they all were easier to use than stock ones, I just like the longer ones better.
I purchased mine from Midway. They came in silver or black.
other manufacturers make them in additional colors.
They are painted aluminum so you can repaint them any color you like.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use one that used to be sold by Primary Weapon Systems, but they didn’t make it if memory serves. It released with your trigger finger and is what I use for 2-gun matches.

I tried to attach a link and photos to show it but this crappy forum says I don’t have enough posts to allow it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Apparently Brownell’s sells it as a Crossfire Elite T3 10/22 release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,311 Posts
One reminder for magazine releases …. no matter what brand or style you choose, make sure the magazine fits in the stock's magazine well without binding. The single biggest complaint is …. magazines don't drop free and many people blame it on the release when indeed the magazine is binding on the mag well.

What I do ….. remove the mag release from the receiver then insert a magazine. It should fall out when the gun is positioned normally. If the magazine doesn't fall out freely, find out where it is binding and use a file to dress the high spots. Sometime it is the stock (magazine well) sometimes it is the magazine itself. The plastic outside of magazines can be a slightly different dimension so check all your magazines

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tandem Cross and TacSol both have magazine releases that wrap around the trigger guard and can be easily used by the middle finger without removing trigger finger from guard or moving your hand in any way. I have the Tandem Cross on two separate rifles and they both work easily and make for quick and fumble free magazine changes. Some other designs are large paddles that sit up against the front of the trigger guard and can be worked just as easily with the flick forward of the trigger finger. The ones that are a simple extension straight down work well with gloved hands for non competition use. Iowegen's advice for magazine adjustment is very good and I have needed it for only one magazine but other peoples rifles may be different.

·
Emperor
885 Posts
Different designs may suit different uses best.

I personally dislike the long release levers that wrap all the way underneath the trigger guard. I do like those that curve back toward the front of the trigger. That design allows a bit more room if you want to use your support hand directly beneath the magazine when shooting off-hand.

I do not want my trigger finger within the trigger guard when changing magazines. That is particularly true if I am swapping mags before firing the last round that fed from the now empty magazine (so-called "tactical" reload). And a shooter who has shot the magazine completely empty and now has an empty chamber is going to have to cycle the charging handle to chamber a round from the fresh magazine. For a right handed shooter that wants to swap magazines with the left hand, that will require either reaching over or under the rifle to access the charging handle on the 10/22.

I also frequently shoot from three or four positions using a loop or hasty sling. When the support arm is slung up, it makes much more sense to swap magazines with the shooting hand. With a magazine release the sticks straight down, or curves back a bit toward the trigger guard it is an easy matter to run the thumb of the shooting hand along the bottom of the trigger guard and then forward a bit to push the release lever forward allowing the empty magazine to fall into the open palm of the shooting hand. The new magazine can then be inserted and the charging handle cycled with the right hand.

With a little practice a magazine change can be done in this way when "snapped in" with a tight sling while keeping the rifle shouldered and with very little change in natural point of aim.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My Two cents.....I use the type that wraps around the trigger guard. I never have a problem with it. I picked up a red one that contrasts nicely with the black of the trigger guard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts