Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a M77 MKII in 30-06 that I haven't shot in several years. I don't know if I want to sell it, keep it, or have another caliber barrel installed. I have 2 other 30-06's, .243, 45-70, and a couple AR's. If I would re-barrel, what would be a good round to go with. Would I be better off to sell it and buy another caliber rifle?

I really like the 30-06 cartridge, but I am just seeing what options I have in another round. Who would you recommend to re-barrel this rifle in Ohio?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Howdy,
The way I see it, you'll wind up with way too much money in it, plus teething problems, etc... Just sell it and buy the one you want....

Paul

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
If you don't go with the 'sell it and start over' idea, I think you're in a good position to rebarrel and go 270. Same long action and all.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Sell it or trade it! I have two revolvers I'm planning on trading/selling today at my favorite LGS! A Ruger Match Champion and a NA Arms pocket revolver. I have too many 357's and the NA was an impulse buy a month ago! Moving on to something else.

·
Registered
846 Posts
My opinion is to just sell it and use the proceeds to buy what you want. In Ohio however, a think an '06 might just be what you need. If you're planning on a trip out west for bigger game, the '06 would still cover it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
the bottom line is you should do what's best for you .... I'm not a fan of re-barreling a rifle so as to change caliber but that certainly is an option .... years ago when I looked into it, I found I could trade/sell and come out $$$$ ahead .... with your current collection, what additional caliber(s) are you interested in ??

·
Banned
650 Posts
I would sell the M77. If it was a Remington, Savage or a Howa I would put another barrel on it. You can get enough coin for the Ruger to buy an action or another rifle that has a lot more aftermarket support. I love the 30/06 myself but I do not get a lot of range time with the 30/06. The 270 isn't what it used to be. To get great performance from the 270 you need 130 gr ammo that has a velocity of around 3,100 fps. Most 270 ammo is loaded to 2,800 fps. Ammo manufacturers are all to happy to please the cry babies who want to water the 270 down to 243 performance. The 270 that Jack O'Connor loved was not a heavy bullet 243.

I would look for a short action rifle chambered in a child cartridge of the 308.

Here is a long article that explains the neutering of the 270. I shoot factory ammo. I shoot PPU ammo for practice but for hunting I use Hornady SST Super Performance. The 270 is the only caliber I own that requires a premium cartridge to be effective at 300 yards.

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.270+Winchester.html

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
I'd say if you have 2 other .30-06's...I'd sell it and get something you want / like...and try something new!

The .308's a good cartridge (abeit it's the baby of the .30-06) and it will do a lot of what the .30-06 will do! My brother has a couple of .308's...he loves that cartridge!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I might have a trade in the works. I found someone looking for a 30-06. He is supposed to send a text of what he would trade. Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts