Ruger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a gunsite scout, its still in 10 day jail (7 days left).

I am looking for a scope, I want to mount it on the front rail, I don't want it over the action, so I need a scout scope.

two things, I know we are all different and I don't have the rifle with me so I can't measure.

What is a good eye relief on average for this rifle ? The Burris scope I am looking at says eye relief is 9.2" to 12" and the Leupold's all seem to be 6" to 7,8 or 9. I have old eyes and a preference for red dots so I am thinking of getting the Leupold 1.5-5x33 VXR Scout Firedot, the eye relief on that one is 6" to 7.1" (swfa site says 6.75" to 8" but I trust the Leupold site for now) that might not work on the GSR front rail, or will it ?

For now, just paper punching at both 100 and 200 yard range and perhaps some hunting later, I like the red dot for hunting early morning and dusk in low light situations. A friend has a firedot non-scout version on his rifle and I really like it. I also realize that for now, shooting at 100yds, I can likely use the iron sights no issues, maybe even 200yds but I want a scope :) This will be my first scoped rifle.

From what I read and this is pure speculation, the Leupold's seem to hold up better, I read on the web where people have to return Burris's slightly more often than Leupold's, but either one will be fine for me, the only reason I am fixated on the Leupold is because of the firedot and I have used one (not on a Scout) and I like the red dot in low light. I am sure I will be happy with which ever I end up with. I want some magnification so not a regular red dot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just ordered the Burris 2-7 Scout scope to mount on the rail of my new to me GSR. When I get it mounted and to the range I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You have it seems two questions:

One is the quality of the scope, and the warranty, or will it hold up ?

That's a hard one to answer, So lets say what is the probability of one failing over another.

Still a little hard to answer, I would look at customer reviews, and also what kind of option you have if it fails.

Someone may have a scope that sits in a gun safe and is used once a year and say's it's great, you get the point.

Second is eye relief, I would estimate how and what place the scope will be mounted,
Then shoulder the rifle and measure how far your eye is from the ocular lens.

The MOA of the red dot will have a great effect on how far your target is as to the utility of the MOA size.

IE -- Every 1 MOA covers 1" at 100 yards, 8 MOA covers 8" at 100 yards.

They are not very good long distance shooters unless you really put the time in and know your equipment.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both are good scopes with good reputations, it does seem that just by reading on the web that Burris's get sent back more then Leupold's but its the web...who knows. So of course its a concern, but its a secondary one to me.

I am more concerned about eye relief since the Leupold is so short and I don't have the rifle yet (another 7 days until pick up) and I can't measure it or test anything but I want to order the scope now.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've had the Burris on my Scout for three years and have had no problems. I have Leupold QR mounts and found out you need to check periodically to make sure they are snug.
I've used it in all sorts of weather; snow , rain, freezing & warm and it stays on point. The eye relief is tricky and you definitely need to find that right cheek height or you will absolutely not be able to find your sight picture(at least in my case).
First thing I do when I get into my stand is to pick out shooting lanes and check that I can actually see them when I bring the rifle up to shoot. Because you are twisted in different directions as you move left to right it can be tricky getting on target.

Deacon Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the Burris 2-7 on my GSR and the eyepiece sits almost flush with the front of the bolt. I've never used the Leupold but I would suspect with the shorter eye relief that the eyepiece would have to sit over the bolt (just speculation on my part).

I've never had any problems with the Burris quality but obtaining a good sight picture can be tricky in a hunting situation. I feel comfortable at 100 yards or less (neck shot) whitetail hunting but I recently took it to a place where the typical shot was closer to 200 yrds and my confidence level diminished dramatically.

I know it goes against the whole scout rifle theory but I'm going to likely replace my scope with a slightly higher power normal eye relief scope for the next season.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to the gun store that has my GSR and shouldered it and he measured from my eye to the front of the bolt, about 9 inches, I could move and make it 8 but 9.5 to 10 seemed more comfortable, so that leaves out the leupold, too bad I wanted the firedot :)

going with Burris 2-7x32, thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I have been wanting the long eye relief Fire dot also, but the listed eye relief seemed short to me as well. I have had a regular eye relief fire dot on an AR for 3 years and love it.
I ended up putting a Nikon 2.5-8x pistol scope on my GSR that I used to have on a Mini-14 Scout set up. That Nikon is super clear and bright, just wish there was a lighted dot option and it would be perfect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts