Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a eye relief problem. I am not young have a short stiff neck so I have trouble getting close to the scopes with eye relief of 3 to 4 inches. Long eye relief scopes of 10 inches or more are way to long.
I recently purchased a browning t-bolt and with the limited mounting options I really have to stretch my neck to get a shootable picture. On other scopes I can get mounts that move the scope rearward but this does not seem to be a option on the t-bolt.
Any suggestion would be appreciated

·
Registered
521 Posts
Cut the stock?

Or, maybe reverse a cantilever scope mount.

And, welcome! Lots of good folks and knowledge here. :)

·
Registered
980 Posts
That would be the easiest way. "(reversing it)"

Greetings from New Hampshire

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Look for a scope that has a longer front section between the turret and the back of the objective bell that will allow you to move the scope more to the rear. Although a budget scope - though a useable budget scope - the Simmons 3-9x 22 Mag has an unusually long front tube section. I've used it to solve your very problem on some guns.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,188 Posts
Offset scope rings are also a good solution. You can mount the offset ring for an inch or two shorter or longer eye relief using the same scope base and scope. Google "offset scope rings".

Reactions: FastEddie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks gals & guys for all the input. This is a dilemma, the shells eject up and slightly to the right so a scope rail is not really an option even if I could find one that matches the screw holes. The ring options are limited because they are screwed directly to the receiver. There are not many options for taller,offset ect rings for those that screw directly to the receiver. I have looked for a longer scope but if it is longer on the front is shorter on the back. I sure would like at least 1 inch closer maybe 11/2 so I guess I will just grow a longer neck. If i ever solve this I will be sure to post it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
The overall length of that Simmons 22 Mag 3-9x is actually longer than a typical rimfire scope. Take a look at one if you can find one around.

·
Registered
191 Posts
While you said that a one piece might not work, this one appears to be hogged out to allow for proper ejection of brass.

Thanks gals & guys for all the input. This is a dilemma, the shells eject up and slightly to the right so a scope rail is not really an option even if I could find one that matches the screw holes. The ring options are limited because they are screwed directly to the receiver. There are not many options for taller,offset ect rings for those that screw directly to the receiver. I have looked for a longer scope but if it is longer on the front is shorter on the back. I sure would like at least 1 inch closer maybe 11/2 so I guess I will just grow a longer neck. If i ever solve this I will be sure to post it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have thought of hogging out a one piece rail but that won't work. The front mount is very close to the ejection port so if I intrude into the ejection port a little it would only gain me maybe 1/4 inch.
North Woods Gal recommended a Simmons .22 mag scope so I looked it up on Midway USA, they give you scope dimensions. The Simmons is actually shorter overall from the scope I have but the barrels are longer. If I move and attach the rear mount with only one screw use the the Simmons scope I could gain maybe 1/2 inch. Thanks again for your brainstorming.

·
Cat Herder
1,637 Posts
What about two piece bases? It looks like there are Weaver two piece bases available when I Google it, then you can use offset or taller rings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts