Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right eye dominant, right hand dominant, right eye contact lens for distance, nothing in the left eye (reading), or bifocals.

With the contact in, or glasses, I can't focus on the front sight, heck I can barely see it.

With the left eye, or tilting my head back for the bifocals, I can see the front sight easily, and enough of the target to put the sight at 6:00 on the 10 ring. Shooting left handed isn't as hard as I thought, but not how I want to practice.

My golf coach always warned against bifocals on the course, you tend to tuck your chin to ensure you see through the top of your glasses, and your chin blocks your shoulder turn.

I guess I could have some strong shooting glasses made, or switch to a left eye distance lens and use nothing on my right eye. Otherwise I always have a "good" excuse for a lousy string~~couldn't see the front sight!

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I'm left eye dominant, right handed, bifocals. I have tried several times to shoot with both eyes open and just can't do it. I close the right eye and aim with the left. My front sight focus isn't what I'd like but I don't do too badly at defensive distances (7-10yds).

Not sure what you mean by "shooting left handed". Of course you can, but you don't have to. I mostly shoot two handed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am right eye dominant and an awkward ambidextrous. So I shoot both handed every time I'm there. I started out pistol left hand, rifle right hand for 10+ yrs because I'm right eye dominant (20/20R, 20/40L) no glasses. Now I seem to shoot a little better with the right hand, and I contribute this to being right eye dominant (because I write left handed). Find what works, and dont be afraid to try new ways- we hit what we can see!

·
Banned
365 Posts
I am somewhat ambidextrous but stronger right handed, and left eye dominant. I use a Crawford stance, and close the right eye when aiming, similar to what Hickok45 uses in his stance videos on Youtube. Never had a problem with aiming ever since going to the Crawford stance and using only one eye. Taught my father this idea when he got bifocals, and he shot better than he ever did without bifocals.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Semi ambidextrous, left eye dominant. I can shoot a pistol with either hand.
Trifocals with the top for the front sight.

Attachments

·
Registered
704 Posts
Aging eyesight has forced me to become left eye dominant and shoot right handed. Its all good and it all works. I consider myself a shooting pragmatist. Find out what works for you. Over the years I have found that "expert" marksmanship advice only works for the masses. LOL If you are not part of that crowd you must discover for yourself how to shoot predictably. It will only take time and some ammo but what fun!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"shooting left handed"

Left index finger on the trigger, two handed grip. Looking down the barrel with my left eye. Not too bad at 7 yards, but not how I'd do it on the "street".

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I am right handed, but let eye dominant. I shoot my handguns right-handed, but sometimes shoot using my left eye and sometimes my right, depending on which eye is have the better day. Just a matter of a slight change in head position.

Contact your eye doctor. Some eye doctors who are knowledgable about this problem can Rx you a lens specifically with shooting in mind.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bought my first red dot scope a few days ago because of my sad eyesight....found I can see better with my left than right eye though tests point me toward "right eye dominant"...eventually see more red dots & crimson trace items in my future ;)

·
Registered
392 Posts
from wikipedia--- "Presbyopia (from Greek presbys (πρέσβυς) = old man + ops (ὤψ) = see like, sight > meaning literally trying to see as old men do[1]) is a condition associated with aging in which the eye exhibits a progressively diminished ability to focus on near objects. "

I can see the target, 20/20 out to 25yds. the sights are usually a blur and nobody sells a strobing, LED front sight. dang!

go to the craft section and buy 1oz. bottles of gloss white and glow orange paint. use toothpicks or pins to apply paint (dot, dot, dot,.....).
I paint the whole front sight with a couple of coats of white, where the original dot was I put some of the glow orange. on revolvers, I paint the blade all white, then some orange at the top. rear sight I like to paint white so they look like the rear sight on a Glock. all of this helps a little.

for shooting small guns (.380's, pocket 9's, 1 7/8" revolvers) at combat range (0-7yds.) trying to get a sight picture is way to slow. see, "point shooting".

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is an LCR 9mm with Hi Viz sight on the front post. If the range has enough light over the safe line area, the sight lights up nicely and I can slot it into the rear groove and put the, just under the bullseye.

I put ATS Fireflys on my Shield
ADVANTAGE TACTICAL SIGHT!
and charging the front sight up with a strong LED flashlight before range time makes this a lot easier. Still not a focused sight picture, but enough to get me on the bullseye.

I've done the white/orange paint job on some older fixed sight revolvers with some success. Unfortunately they don't sell tritium paint any longer after the problems with the ladies who used it to paint watch hands. They licked their brushes to make a finer point; the cases of head and neck cancer were horrible.

Off track...part of it is also astigmatism. The contact and glasses fix this, but trying to shoot with my un-lensed left eye allows me to see the sight, but I do get the ghost image from my out of round eyeball!

I noticed one of the "American Rifleman TV" guys (the younger, huskier guy) seems to wear prescription shooting glasses. Maybe that's worth looking into!

·
Registered
952 Posts
I shoot both firearms and compound bows. Sighting techniques for each are opposite each other.
Archery is "target clear, pins (front sight) blurry.
Handgun is "target blurry, front sight clear".
I wear tri-focals so I had form issues with both disciplines. With my bow I was tucking my chin to see the target through the top of my glasses. With handgun my head was tilted way back to look through the bottom of my glasses.
I had some made with the prescriptions reversed. Distance is on the bottom and up close is on top.
Made a world of difference.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I can't clearly see the front sight w/o glasses but I don't wear glasses all the time so I practice w/o glasses when practicing self defense shooting. Not pretty grouping but effective.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'm right eye dominant and had a detached retina 2 years ago in that eye. Reading vision is better, but best corrected distance is about 20/40. I'm experimenting with the product listed below which increases the depth of field and I see the front sight better.

See Better Shoot Better

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
"shooting left handed"

Left index finger on the trigger, two handed grip. Looking down the barrel with my left eye. Not too bad at 7 yards, but not how I'd do it on the "street".
My usual stance is right index finger on trigger, two handed grip, looking at front sight with left eye. Pretty good out to 7yds, a little less good at 10yds, not very good past that. But I think that has more to do with (lack of) trigger control rather than sight picture in my case.

When you say, "not how I'd do it on the street", figure out how you would do it on the street then do that at the range.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I shoot both firearms and compound bows. Sighting techniques for each are opposite each other.
Archery is "target clear, pins (front sight) blurry.
Handgun is "target blurry, front sight clear".
This is where we gotta get out and see what works for each of us in different variations. I agree with the pistol assessment, as I do the same with my compound bow pin. I shoot 5 arrows regularly into 4" group @ 100 yrds. Both bow/pistol has made me a better shooter overall, going back to rifles only to outperform where I had plateaued. Til my vision leaves me of course...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts