Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will factory crimp type dies like sold by Lee work on lead or are they more for jacketed? I see Cowboy or Roll type dies advertised. Is this just a sales gimmick or really useful for lead which is all I use.
Thanks
Keith

·
Registered
346 Posts
Keith,

While I'm not a great fan of the Lee Factory Crimp Die, I do have three and they work very well on lead bullets.
Here is a report I did, with pics, of the Lee FCD for the .45 Colt.
There are several pics of different styles of lead bullets that shows just how it does work.
http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9905&KW=J+Miller

Hope this helps some.

Joe

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I feel the Lee Factory Crimp Dies are outstanding on cartridges that need the crimp, such as .223s that are to be used in autoloading rifles.

·
Registered
704 Posts
There are an awful lot of reloaders that swear by them for .45acp. Though truth be told, most of those guys are using progressive presses and are crimping as a seperate step.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Almost all but a few of my reloads are with hard cast bullets. I use the FCD on all of my .45ACP rds. Seems to feed much better when using certain bullets and some batches of mixed brass. I use it sometimes with .357, 44 mag and .45 Colt loads. Never felt the need for it with 9MM or .38sp loads.
Baker

·
Registered
12 Posts
+1 in favor of the Lee FC dies. I had trouble getting my .45ACP reloads to chamber without it. Got one and have not had any more trouble.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Try every cartridge you make in a gauge and you will know if you need more crimp or everything is OK. You will eliminate a lot of jams in your .45acp pistols. Cost about $12.00.

If they fall in free and don't stick out the other side it's a shooter. I got one 1911/.45 that has over 3,000rds through it without a problem.

·
Registered
85 Posts
FCD for pistol rounds is a solution for a non problem if the rounds are done right in the first place. I know this is a touchy subject. Some folks love the FCD. I am not one of them.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
quote:Originally posted by GSPKurt

+1 in favor of the Lee FC dies. I had trouble getting my .45ACP reloads to chamber without it. Got one and have not had any more trouble.
Same here. I think it helps them on jamming in the Auto's.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,226 Posts
I'll jump on the "don't waste your time and money" bandwagon. FCDs do work but so do other brands of crimp dies. The secret in any crimp die is getting them adjusted properly. The real proof is on the target, over a chronograph, and cycling in the gun.

My Dillon crimp dies do a great job crimping what ever I load. They function flawless, group tight, and have very tight max velocity spreads.

A few years ago, I bought FCDs in 38/357, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, and 44 Mag. I tested the loads over a chronograph and on paper then compared them with my Dillon crimps. FCDs didn't fare as well as my Dillon crimp dies, especially when it came to max velocity spreads.

·
Registered
60 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.