Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this SP101 I'll be getting will be my first .357, I'd like some input from you folks on what to feed it for 1) practice and 2) CCW defense. At some point, when I get more familiar with this piece, I will start reloading as I have with several other calibers. But for now, I need a little direction to start off with, so I can start shooting. From what I've gleened on the net so far (focusing on bullets), it would appear that I should probably stay away from the lighter 110 gr. loads (too much penetration and richochet?) as well as the 158's for muzzle blast and recoil? Hmmm...that only leaves one - the 125 gr. loads. Anyone concurr? I'd probably use .38's for a lot of my practicing, but I also want to practice with the .357 loads as well, obviously. Thank you folks.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I roll my own and when I had my Sp-101 I used 4.7grs of Win-231 and 125gr lswc or jhp. They were very accurate and both hit point of aim. I used .357 cases. By no means is that a mag load. It was just one I liked. I am sure it would do just fine in any social situations that would get out of hand.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
whatever loads you purchase, make sure they are brass and reloadable so you can save the brass.
For the range, i'd say go cost effective with rounds such as the remington umc in both 38 and 357. Think they have a 130 gr load for 38 and a 125 gr for the 357.

And go ahead and try some 158 gr loads---you may be suprised.

of shooting problems i have seen, one contributing factor of the accuracy/control problems come from poor or inadequate hearing protection that messes with the mind. They blame the gun or the round for having too much "kick". But when they borrow a good seat of hearing muffs---things improve dramatically.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Magtech has a nice 38 SP pratice load 158 gr rn leads. Buy some Golddot 357 mag either 125 or the 135 SN bullets for carry!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I shoot a lot of 38 specials at the range. I shoot a handful of .357's also. I carry 158 grain hp rounds. I shoot a lot of American Eagle and Blazer brass. Whichever I can find on sale.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts