Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I reported here earlier (with pics), my new 2" SP101 "seems" to prefer Speer Gold Dots (125 gr. GDHP) vs. the Cor Bons in similar loading. Is this normal for factory rounds? Or is one actually better than the other? I know it could be me, but after using .38 Spec. rounds, then going back to the .357's, my results appeared similar; however, my over grouping was enlarging, I assume due to fatique. Thanks folks.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
There are many factors.

Looking at the "mechanics" of it, "brand "x" may be more accurate than brand "y" in your paticular gun. But the opposite may be true for your neighbor with the same ruger. Each handgun is a different animal to its own as to what paticular load it likes the best for accuracy.

The best way i know of to determine it one round has superior accuracy would to to lock the gun into a rest, shoot single action, and at a "distance" of say 25 yds. This would take the human factor out of it and one could see if brand "x" or "y" shoots a tighter group.

But put the human factor in, pratically anything goes with variables such as recoil, flinch, blast, etc. Brand "x" may be the winner in accuracy from a machine rest at 25 yds, but due to the above factors, it may "pattern" instead of group at a shorter distance of 10 yds in human hands. While brand "y" shot a much better group at 10 yds in human hands---because of less recoil, flinch, etc.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Perfectly normal for one brand, even one lot of ammo or bullet weight to shoot a bit better in a certain gun. Speer Manual no13 has a chapter on pages 443/444 "Why Ballistics Get Gray" showing the difference in velocities from .357s, long, short and same barrel lengths and I'm sure the accuracy will be different too. A good read and surprising results. Like Deputy said, each gun differs just bit from a like model. The little .22s are notorious for preferences in ammo. Also a lot of shooting with a .357 snubbie, in a session will tire often tire you to the point of groups enlarging(at least it does me) .:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts