Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a new SR9C and after cleaning it and checking it over I took it to the range today. I fired about 200 rounds and almost on every reload the first shell wouldn't fully chamber. I would have to pull the slid back a little and wiggle the gun around and if that didn't work I would have to drop the magazine and try again. Also after purchasing I took it home and cleaned it well and noticed a lot of scratches on the diameter of the barrel and a blemished finish on the black nitride. After firing it today the scratches on the barrel are much worse and more plentiful Hopefully it will improve after more breakin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would contact Ruger's customer service. Based on my personal experience with Ruger, I will tell you they we resolve your issues.
Thank you! I did send pretty much send the same message on the Ruger website but I was restricted to the number of characters so it was shortened considerably.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I fired about 200 rounds and almost on every reload the first shell wouldn't fully chamber.
About 99.5 times out of a 100 that "problem" originates with the shooter rather than the gun. Try "slingshoting" the slide instead of riding it down. Same thing applies if your using the slide stop lever as a slide release ... slingshot it.

The tell tale is that "almost ever first shell" part. If the gun is cycling correctly EXCEPT on that first cartridge the odds are it's the operator that's doing something wrong.

Other than that it could possibly be the specific ammo involved. Although the SR9C generally eats anything it's fed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, but I do sling shot it and it stops short app 3.8" from fully closing. I also used Blazer 124Gr., Winchester 124 gr. NATO and Remington 115 gr. UMC, all of which had the same issue. The 10 round magazine never fully loads the 1st shell and the 17 round magazine fails about 50% of the time. Ruger has not gotten back to me as yet. Thanks again for responding.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Thank you, but I do sling shot it and it stops short app 3.8" from fully closing. I also used Blazer 124Gr., Winchester 124 gr. NATO and Remington 115 gr. UMC, all of which had the same issue. The 10 round magazine never fully loads the 1st shell and the 17 round magazine fails about 50% of the time. Ruger has not gotten back to me as yet. Thanks again for responding.
Rather than waiting for an email response, I'd call them. You'll get a quicker solution to your problem.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The 10 round magazine never fully loads the 1st shell and the 17 round magazine fails about 50% of the time.
As another poster has suggested, call 'em. They're great. They'll email you a return label and your gun will probably be gone less than a week. If the problem is the gun, they'll fix it. And it'll all be at their expense.

It may be a good idea to take it back the gun store you purchased it and have one of the salesmen there try it and see what happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for your help. I did end up sending it back to Ruger and it was returned to me today. I took it out to the range and shot the remainder of a box of shells I had on hand and it is like an entirely different gun. To my surprise they replaced : slide assembly, slide stop spring, trigger assembly, trigger bar lift spring, trigger bar reset and the ejector as well as repairing the barrel. I am just tickled pink and their customer service is outstanding! I now find that the take down pin assembly has to be played with to seat the little tab on it and there is a little ring protruding through from the pin on the pin side to the finished side of the assembly. Could this seating problem of the little tab that goes between the slide and poly frame be because of the new slide?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts