Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to indoor range today, raining here in vero beach fl, with 100 rds of my titegroup reloads. went throug 50 rds with 4 ftes. so I took the other box back home to check them out. that means taking them apart. fun time with my impact puller. weighed the charges in 15 rds. weigh veryed from .1 to .3 grs. since I load at 3.3 grs of t/g with 147grfp plated bullets when I get a light load I get fte. I'm going to check every 5th round from now on. the power drop, lee perfect powder scale, takes about 20 to 30 drops to settle in to drop consectant weighs. has anyone else had this problem? thanks in advance TOMD1943

·
Registered
630 Posts
I personally love titegroup in my 124 gr plated round nose loads. I loaded it with some 147s and ran into the same situation. It is a little too sensitive for them in my opinion. Unless you want to weigh and trickle every charge, i would try a less sensitive powder.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,076 Posts
TOMD1943, Yes, I have experienced similar conditions. What you have is a marginally light load where just a few tenths of a grain makes the difference between adequate side thrust and inadequate slide thrust. I don't know where you got your load data but mine shows a minimum of 3.7 gr with TG.

·
Registered
630 Posts
TOMD1943, Yes, I have experienced similar conditions. What you have is a marginally light load where just a few tenths of a grain makes the difference between adequate side thrust and inadequate slide thrust. I don't know where you got your load data but mine shows a minimum of 3.7 gr with TG.
I am not currently near my load books, but i pulled. Up the data on the hodgdon website and by their data, they have a 147 gr jacketed bullet with a 3.6 gr max charge, and if your supposed to load plated as lead then wouldnt that be too hot/overcharged?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SCOOTER89 I use x-treme bullets. the cbhp [ concave base heavy plate] .356 dia bullets can be loaded using fmj data acording to x-treme. so far I have not seen any parting of the jacket on my paper targets yet. but I load at just over starting loads. I was using hs-6 but I wanted to try some t/g to see if it would work. it does shoot good at 3.4 to 3.5 but not at 3.6. not good groupings. TOMD1943

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,076 Posts
scooter89, I charted a 147gr Ranier plated lead bullet with TiteGroup powder, COL=1.169"

TOMD1943's 3.3 gr load produces a mere 25,940 psi, well under the minimum 30k psi required for slide thrust.
3.6 gr produces 30,970 psi, which is just above the minimum for slide thrust.
3.7 gr produces 32,784 psi, well below the 35k psi max pressure for standard 9mm yet good slide thrust.
3.8 gr produces 34,657 psi, the max charge for standard SAAMI 35k psi pressure ratings.
3.9 gr produces 36,612 psi, over the standard rating but under SAAMI +P 38,500 psi rating.
4.0 gr produces 38,624 psi, just over +P pressure levels (not recommended)

Considering powder measures aren't perfect, the recommended load for TG is 3.7 gr. This allows for a +or-.1 gr variance in powder charge without exceeding max pressure and not going below minimum slide thrust. Because TOMD1943's slide thrust is OK for most of his loads, he should easily get by with 3.6 gr, however in a different gun, with a +or-.1 gr variance, slide thrust may drop too low and prevent the pistol from cycling.

Like you said .... TG is a bit sensitive for heavier 9mm bullets where a tenth of a grain difference in powder charge makes a considerable difference in chamber pressure. If you look at the Speer or Hornady manual, they do not publish a TG load with a 147 gr bullet likie they do with lighter bullets.

TOMD1943, If you are getting .3 gr variations, checking every 5 rounds isn't going to help much. What happens to the other four rounds? A better powder measure might help but when you are dealing with with a powder that has such a narrow operating range, I would highly recommend weighing each charge.

I would also recommend Power Pistol powder where you have a half grain spread (4.5gr~5.0gr) with a 147 gr bullet and will still met minimum slide thrust without exceeding max chamber pressure.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOWEGAN, I will try some loads at 3.8 grs of titegroup. when I load my test rounds at 3.6 grs of titegroup I had 3 flyers out of 5 shots. I though it was because the speed or the chamber pressure was to high for the bullet that I was using. when I ordered the bullet heads from x-treme they said to use fmj data for reloading. will let you know how it turns out. thanks very much for the info. will load 10 rds { will weigh each load as I do for test rounds} an check back later. TOMD1943

1 - 7 of 7 Posts