Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope you all can help me on this one on one of my p series rugers there is the problem of the last round in the magazine that fails to feed. Do you have an idea why this is happening?

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
About every time I've had this problem with a bottom feeder, it has been the fault of the magazine.

·
Registered
704 Posts
You clean your autos, how about the mags.???

·
Registered
78 Posts
Either the magazine spring has had too many cycles or the slide recoil spring is too powerful. Sounds like either your slide isnt coming back far enough to feed the round or the mag doesnt have enough power to push the last round up fast enough. Either way all of the springs are real cheap.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,963 Posts
coronel, I'd bet you have one of the Ruger magazines with a metal 8 round follower. The magazine followers have a short leg and tend to move forward as the last round is being fed. There is a very good solution. Either install the Ruger 7 round magazine follower or buy a Wilson Rodgers 8 round kit. Scroll down in this link until you find the kit P/N 965-266-245: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/st...=16398&title=1911+AUTO+WILSON-ROGERS+MAGAZINE

·
Banned
298 Posts
I've had the same issue. I thought I was being smart, rotating through which magazines I leave loaded and everything, but the springs were getting weak. Good to find a way to avoid it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow. I'm glad I registered for this site. I have the same issue with my new P345 and I came here looking for an answer and there it was, right at the top! Thanks Iowegan, for the great tip. I just sent out the order to Brownells! I'll report back once I upgrade the mags!

Whisky19:D

·
Registered
191 Posts
It could also be a tight extractor. The mag spring is at it's weakest point on the last round and it may not be able to push the rim up with enough force to engage the extractor. This is as common a cause as weak mag springs. There may also be a sharp corner on the botton of the extractor hook thus further impeding the cartridge in it's attempt to get high enough to feed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Coffe Pot,
Thx for the reply. What can be done at home for a tight extractor or is this something that only a smith should tackle?

Whisky19

·
Registered
191 Posts
quote:Originally posted by whisky19

Coffe Pot,
Thx for the reply. What can be done at home for a tight extractor or is this something that only a smith should tackle?

Whisky19
The first thing to look for is a sharp corner on the bottom of the extractor hook. A sharp corner there will bite into the brass and not allow the cartridge rim to cam up behind it. Remove the slide and then the barrel from the slide. Stick your finger down through the ejection port and feel the lower corner of the hook. There should be a small, but smooth radius on that corner. If it feels sharp, take a small stone or file and round it off a little.

For a tight extractor, you must remove the extractor from the slide. The extractor is basically a curved spring with a hook on the end. Hold the rear of the slide in your right hand with the muzzle pointing away from you. Use a small(3/16-1/4" wide) screw driver with your left hand and place the blade behind the hook on the extractor and push to the side about .10" and pry forward. This will unloc and remove the extractor. A little caution at this point as the extractor holds the right safety lever in place. you may want to put a piece of tape or a rubber band around the lrear of the slide so the lever doesn'r come out. Once removed, you will see the extractor has a bow in it. Very slightly flatten that bow. You will be able at this point to see how the extractor locks in place. Push the extractor back in place as far as possible with your fingers and then use the flat side of your screwdriver to push it back in until it 'Snaps' into place.

Look for the sharp corner first. It's a much easier condition to remedy. Remove the extractor and and flatten the bow only if necessary. A tight extractor is necessary for proper extraction/ejection so the adjustment process to relieve just a little pressure can be tricky and may require a few attempts to get it right. The extractor should be able to hold a loaded round against the breech face by itself, but not much more.

I don't know the extent of your gunsmithing skills so I don't know if you are comfortable doing what I outlined. Another option would be to get a new extractor from Ruger and just replace the one you have.

Keep us posted on your progress with this issue or you can contact me directly. Good luck.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,963 Posts
COFFEE POT, I'm not sure if you are aware of the magazine follower issue or not. Your tips are very worthy but usually if the extractor is causing problems, malfunctions will show up on the last round and at other times too.

Back when the Colt Series 80 was introduced, they came with 8 round magazines utilizing Shooting Star magazine followers. Shooting Star (now owned by Chip McCormick) also sells these same exact followers to Ruger for 45 ACP magazines. The followers have exactly the same problem in the Colt as they do in the Ruger .... as the last round is being fed, the follower slides forward and puts the nose of the bullet at a bad angle. Often the pistol will fail to feed and sometimes the follower doesn't reposition enough to lock the slide back after the last round fires.

If you look at the top of the photo, the follower is shown in the "normal" position and in the "slip forward" position. You can test any magazine to see if the follower will slide forward. If it does, there's a good chance it will cause last round malfunctions.

The followers in the photo show a standard 1911 7 round. Note the length of the leg. This follower was designed for positive feeding from the first to the last round but only holds 7 rounds. Note the length of the leg on the Ruger follower. It doesn't catch the top coil of the magazine spring thus has nothing to keep it from sliding
forward. The Wilson follower also allows 8 rounds but is polymer and shaped to prevent it from sliding forward.

For positive magazine function, you can use standard 1911 magazine followers (GI 7 round), or you can use the older Ruger 7 round polymer followers. The 8 round Wilson followers work extremely well in all Ruger 45 ACP pistols but the Ruger 8 round followers like in the photo are problematic. The Ruger magazine bodies and springs are great, better than any aftermarket magazine.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Ignorance is bliss i guess.
An old vet had told me years ago that 45's are suspose to have 7 rd mags. I've stuck with that over the years and have not had problems.
Of course i can be pig headed about such but it has kept me out of trouble including the p90.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Iowegan - I am well aware of the magazine follower problem with the .45 mags as I had to correct many problems that were a result of it. However, if you look at a cut-away mag or even a mag with a single round in it, you will see that the offending part of the follower is below the front of the shell. Even should the follower get pushed forward with the last round, the nose of the bullet is well onto the feed ramp before the follower is high enough to cause a problem. The rear of the follower will still deflect sufficiently to allow the case to clear the feed lips at the correct feed angle. We ran many tests on this issue once it started to rear it's ugly head on the P97. The pushed-forward follower has been known to cause a number of issues, but last-round FTF was the least of them. There were several transparent changes made to the follower and shell to help resolve these issues. The current follower wasn't my decision as I wasn't involved in the 7 to 8 round conversion to the mags. But, I had to live with the consequences as one of my duties was that of Customer Service Manager. I dealt with people daily who had problems with the mags. The vast majority of the problems weren't feed related. I don't like that follower/shell design any better than you do. As far as I'm concerned, they should have rethought the upper end of the mag when the problem first occurred with the P97 rather than put a band-aid on it. But it wasn't my decision to make.

All I was trying to tell the man was that, in my experience with customer service, that there were as many extractor related last round FTFs as there were magazine related FTFs. The correct extractor tension and machining fall into a very narrow window and do cause as many problems with last round feed as do magazines. Nobody likes the .45 followers, but you can't automatically blame the follower for every malfunction. The follower issue may very well be to blame here, but I was giving the man another option that had not been addressed. The quick and dirty way to see if it's a follower issue is to dub off the point on the lower lip of the follower. if that doesn't cure it, you must look elsewhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is great info. Thanks. I received the Wilson Combat followers and spring and replaced both on my two Ruger mags.

I checked the extractor as Coffee Pot suggested and it is pretty sharp as far as I can tell.

I think I'll shoot it with just the mag fix first and see if that works. If not, then I'll smooth off the extractor. If that doesn't work then I'll try flattening the bow.

Thanks to Iowegan and Coffee Pot!

Whisky19

·
Registered
8 Posts
quote:Originally posted by deputy125

Ignorance is bliss i guess.
An old vet had told me years ago that 45's are suspose to have 7 rd mags. I've stuck with that over the years and have not had problems.
Of course i can be pig headed about such but it has kept me out of trouble including the p90.
Deputy125,

I wish the problem was as simple as downloading the mags to 7 rounds. However, the last round failure to feed problem happens whether I load 8 rds, 7 rds, 5 rds, or whatever. Thx tho! :)

Whisky19

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry it took so long to get back here but I was only able to get to the range yesterday to try out the mags with the new followers. I can report that this was an utter failure. Fired one box of Blazer Brass 230 and the last round of EVERY mag failed to feed. Looks like I'll have to attack the extractor next.

I noticed that the extractor on the 345 is different than what was described by Coffee Pot. After looking at some parts diagrams, it looks like the one he was describing was for a P90 or 97. The one on the 345 has a separate spring like one in a ball point pen and is held in by a roll pin.

If I try to remove the extractor fromthe slide, which direction should I drive the pin? Top down, up from the bottom or it doesn't matter.

Could the spring be too strong? What about clipping off a coil or does someone see a lower power spring? Is the spring from a ball point pen too light?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm just a little frustrated. This is my first autoloader and it hasn't been a pleasant experience. Right now this is just a range gun since I don't trust it to be my home defense gun. That is reserved for my SP101. At least I know it will function 100%.

Thx all for your help!

Whisky19

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have 5 factory P 345 magazines and 1 was giving me problems with the last round. What I found was the distance between the followers upper and lower "plate" was smaller by about .030. I spread it out and haven't had any problems since and I use them in 2 KP345DPR's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi everyone,

It's been a month since my last range report on this issue and since the last range trip I have removed the extractor and smoothed the sharp edge. It took me 3 trips, smoothing and shooting, smoothing and shooting until today's trip. I put about 80 rounds through without a failure to feed! Hooray! The next mag I got the last round FTF again. GRRRRR! But I broke her down, cleaned and oiled her and put 2 more mags through without a problem! I'm thinking 1 more session with the stone will do it!

I'm a happy camper! :D

Thanks for all the help!

Whisky19

·
Registered
26 Posts
hello,
This might sound like a stupid suggestion but why not send it back to Ruger to fix? Is their customer service ok? Do they still fix defective guns even tho they give no written warranty anymore?
oldgungal

1 - 20 of 23 Posts