Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...but we got it situated.

The first failure was a failure to feed. The round didn't get jammed or anything. The bolt never stripped a round from the magazine. This happened twice in a row. Turned out to be that the magazine wasn't seated all the way. A co-worker (not familiar with AR's or firearms in general) was shooting it and didn't smack the magazine all the way in. Smacked the magazine all the way in and started eating like a beast again.

After 100 round of American Eagle 55 grain .223, I switched to some steel cased TulAmmo while the AR was still nice and hot.

I was trying to rapid fire (I rapid fired with brass and had no issues) with it and had two rounds tried to feed at the same time. Inspected the rounds, they were good to go. Put them back in the magazine and let her eat again but this time I went about 1 second between each trigger pull. Shot a total of 80 rounds TulAmmo. All went bang and with surprisingly good groups.

I know it's nothing major but I figured it was worth mentioning just in cased you guys shoot with inexperienced people sometimes and what to possibly expect when using steel cased TulAmmo.

I have some steel cased Wolf that I will try and rapid fire with next time. Hopefully it serves me better than the TulAmmo.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Good to hear sounds like a fun trip, I personally have had issues with Tula in my PSA but never in my Mini's... haven't tried it in my S&W yet hopefully Saturday ill be able to run it through some paces. How was your over impression with the Ruger ? I passed on it this time around but may consider it for my next AR .

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
...but we got it situated.

The first failure was a failure to feed. The round didn't get jammed or anything. The bolt never stripped a round from the magazine. This happened twice in a row. Turned out to be that the magazine wasn't seated all the way. A co-worker (not familiar with AR's or firearms in general) was shooting it and didn't smack the magazine all the way in. Smacked the magazine all the way in and started eating like a beast again.

After 100 round of American Eagle 55 grain .223, I switched to some steel cased TulAmmo while the AR was still nice and hot.

I was trying to rapid fire (I rapid fired with brass and had no issues) with it and had two rounds tried to feed at the same time. Inspected the rounds, they were good to go. Put them back in the magazine and let her eat again but this time I went about 1 second between each trigger pull. Shot a total of 80 rounds total. All went bang and with surprisingly good groups.

I know it's nothing major but I figured it was worth mentioning just in cased you guys shoot with inexperienced people sometimes and what to possibly expect when using steel cased TulAmmo.

I have some steel cased Wolf that I will try and rapid fire with next time. Hopefully it serves me better than the TulAmmo.
Congrats on your new Ruger. The issue you had with the Tula ammo may not have been ammo related at all. If you were firing fast, it's possible that what you did was to "feather" the trigger. That can cause the kind of jam you experienced.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to hear sounds like a fun trip, I personally have had issues with Tula in my PSA but never in my Mini's... haven't tried it in my S&W yet hopefully Saturday ill be able to run it through some paces. How was your over impression with the Ruger ? I passed on it this time around but may consider it for my next AR .
If you have an M&P Sport, as much as I love this Ruger, if you bought one, it would be like having a second M&P Sport. IMO, you're better off buying a higher end AR if you are looking for something different/better than your M&P Sport.

Overall, I love the Ruger. I got the sights adjusted and dialed in @ 50 Yards. I got yelled at for picking off all the tanerite targets before anyone else got chance lol. 6 containers of tanerite and I picked them all off with my first 6 shots :D My punishment was that I had to shake 6 more containers of tanerite, run them down range, and set them up so everyone else got a chance lol.

Congrats on your new Ruger. The issue you had with the Tula ammo may not have been ammo related at all. If you were firing fast, it's possible that what you did was to "feather" the trigger. That can cause the kind of jam you experienced.
Hmm, could you elaborate a bit more on that?

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Tula has worked well for me. Glad it works for your new rifle overall. I like that it's affordable. Once upon a time, Walmart sold spam cans of the stuff. I would get those when I could. Some I shoot and some are put away. And of course, AKs do well with Tula.

The Tannerite sounds fun! :cool:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I used to exclusively use M855, but since the Great Panic I've used TulAmmo and Wolf as control ammo for reliability. If a gun runs that stuff, it'll work with anything.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tula has worked well for me. Glad it works for your new rifle overall. I like that it's affordable. Once upon a time, Walmart sold spam cans of the stuff. I would get those when I could. Some I shoot and some are put away. And of course, AKs do well with Tula.

The Tannerite sounds fun! :cool:
Yeah, if I wasn't trying to rapid fire, I believe I would have never had any type of issue. I will see how the Wolf does next. I am just making sure she eats steel as a reliability test. The Wolf and TulAmmo, after tax, works out to $0.29 a round. I will be buying 1000 rounds of Wolf Gold for $299.50 or PMC Bronze for $319.50 (free shipping for either). At that price per round, I will just stick with brass cased for now.

I will say though, the TulAmmo was just as accurate, if not more accurate, than the Geco 55 grain .223 and Freedom Munitions (factory new, not reloads) 55 grain .223 that I shot last weekend. I was impressed.

Tannerite is a lot of fun. Picking off 6 in a row, on each first shot, made me feel like I was on an episode of Top Shot :cool:

I used to exclusively use M855, but since the Great Panic I've used TulAmmo and Wolf as control ammo for reliability. If a gun runs that stuff, it'll work with anything.
Accuracy wise, how much of a difference do you see between TulAmmo/Wolf and the M855 you were using? And if any, what barrel twist are you using?

·
Registered
936 Posts
My AR556 doesn't like the Tula steel cased ammo either, although with more trigger time, the last time out with a mag full of Tula, there was only one failure to feed. My boys Bushmasters initially didn't care for Tula steel as well. I've bought too much cheap brass lately to bother with the steel cased ammo anymore.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Okay, with all this negative talk about cheap Russian ammo, I just could not resist.* I suppose the fact that Fleet Farm had Wolf on sale for $4.99 a box didn't hurt. I bought two boxes and today I took my AR-556 my AR-556 to the range.

I shot 40 rounds of PMC Bronze first, without incident. After that, I shot the two boxes of Wolf with no issues. No idea of accuracy, as I shoot with iron sights at steel targets at 100 yards. A hit is a hit.

My rifle may have been a little dirtier today when I cleaned it, but I can't say that for sure. Also, I checked several of the spent steel cases, and none of them had any unusual marks on them.

*I guess I will never truly grow up. The more people tell me not to do something, the more insistent I am on doing it. :)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Okay, with all this negative talk about cheap Russian ammo, I just could not resist.* I suppose the fact that Fleet Farm had Wolf on sale for $4.99 a box didn't hurt. I bought two boxes and today I took my AR-556 my AR-556 to the range.

I shot 40 rounds of PMC Bronze first, without incident. After that, I shot the two boxes of Wolf with no issues. No idea of accuracy, as I shoot with iron sights at steel targets at 100 yards. A hit is a hit.

My rifle may have been a little dirtier today when I cleaned it, but I can't say that for sure. Also, I checked several of the spent steel cases, and none of them had any unusual marks on them.

*I guess I will never truly grow up. The more people tell me not to do something, the more insistent I am on doing it. :)
People get hung up on it ...I shoot mostly brass as well but if my AR or any of my firearms won't eat everything and anything I feed it I won't keep it . I take excellent care of my guns ,everyone shows like new but I also don't baby them either .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts