Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate some opinions on how much I should pay for a used Ruger .22 Magnum LCR. I don't know much about pistols, although I do shoot a Mark III.
Thanks

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'd say $300-$350. They can be bought new for about $400. But then you have sales tax, fees etc. on that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would appreciate some opinions on how much I should pay for a used Ruger .22 Magnum LCR. I don't know much about pistols, although I do shoot a Mark III.
Thanks
I have the 22lr and I love it...looking for the mag used has been a chore. I don't want paper but 22 mags used for sale are rare...Good Luck...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
From what I see I agree the 3/$350 price range is pretty good.. BUT IMO I would not go .22 mag for SD! It is better then the .22 LR ! I personally would go with a .38 Special or .357 and use either round for SD. The plus side is you can still stay in the 350/400$ range used! Look at several LGS and Local Pawn shops. Just my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
For self-defense use what ever you like if you reload the 327 lcr would make a better choice. I bought my wife the 22 mag she likes it but ammo is hard to come by three weeks after I got the 22 mag Ruger came out with the 327 just my luck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
In a 2 in barrel I'm not sure that a 22 Mag makes much sense. According to ballistics by the inch for the normal 36 or 40 grain bullet, there is only a 50 foot a sec increase in muzzle velocity. With the cost and availability of the mag version, it hardly seems worth it (in a 2 inch barrel(.

PaJ

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi, Snubby,

I'm not disputing the lcr trigger and reliability. I'm just going with the ballistic data. As listed in ballisticsbytheinch.com, a 22mag only has a 50 fps advantage over a 22lr with a 36 or 40 grain bullet...really a negligible difference. Out of a 4 inch barrel the 22 mag starts to show an advantage....there the mag has about a 175/200 fps increase in speed over the 36 or 40 grain 22lr. At this point you have a power advantage over the lr (and a return in power for the cost of the ammo)....I'm just not seeing any type of justification for 22mag over 22lr out of a less than 2 inch barrel other than the the comfort thought that it is a "magnum".

Just MHO.
PaJ

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I shoot the LCR 22Mag. I paid a little over $400, and got a month of free range time. I was looking for the LCR 22, like the idea of 8 rounds. The 22 Mag has a large fireball when fired. So if you are close enough to the bad guy you can shoot him and cauterized the wound at the same time.

$350 is a good price and you won't be sorry with it. They tell you not to shoot 22 WRF out of the LCR, they have worked great for me and they are about $13 a box. The 22 WRF is a little shorter then the 22WMR . I figure it's like shooting 38 out of a 357.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cost of Ammo

For self-defense use what ever you like if you reload the 327 lcr would make a better choice. I bought my wife the 22 mag she likes it but ammo is hard to come by three weeks after I got the 22 mag Ruger came out with the 327 just my luck.

How much does ammo for the 327 cost?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Bought a new one for my wife 2 yrs ago for cc, works great.
Picked up about 1000 rnds. online at great prices.
It's very light to carry & hides almost anywhere.

She has difficulty racking a slide on a semi & the recoil on LCR in 38sp. is just not manageable.

Our #1 Rule: Must be confident handling the firearm.

·
Banned
95 Posts
PaJerry: while the energy difference from a snub may/may not be all that great the coolness factor of the 5.56 (?) is big time better, until you have to buy them of course.

From a rifle though the .22 wmr is really sort of a beast-a few days ago a guy and his 13 year old daughter brought a metal swinger to the range and were doing some sighting in on his .22 lr, I asked if he/they had every shot the wmr and the answer was no, gave him one I had brought and after seeing the smile on his and her face after a dozen rounds I had to give them 100 more (some clays, balloons, targets)-I really got the better deal-best money I ever spent-she was nailing everything at almost 200 yards.

.22 Magnum (.22 WMR)

Think its fixed

http:www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNqgxhdSnuI

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi, Snubby,

There is absolutely no question about the 22 mag being much more powerful out of a rifle or even a 4 inch or longer revolver. My thoughts are that, in a snub nose that is less than 2 inches, the 22 mag makes no sense over a 22 lr powerwise. There are other factors involved...mental confidence from having a magnum, a lot bigger flash and bang (the better to scare the bg), uniformity of ammo if you are small game hunting (maybe??) and, of course, the pop at the range.

The 22lr version gives virtually the same power punch (some would argue that it gives more power because the cylinders are the same length and the lr round is shorter....thereby, in effect, creating a longer barrel length, IDK). The 22lr also gives an 2 extra rounds for a SD/CCW carry option.

So, I just don't get the 22mag in a 2 inch or less barrel...it is illogical and makes no sense.

All that said, this thread is about the fair price for a used 22 mag lcr and NOT about whether any short snub nose should be offered in 22 mag. We can't control what goes onto the used market and, if that is what is available, and you have 22 mag ammo for other guns then it may make sense for you. Do you know why the gun is on the used market?

My best,
PaJ

·
Registered
112 Posts
22wmr out of the lcr's short barrel isnt much better than 22lr. if you want a fun, handy, easy-shooting ccw then i vote for the lcr in 22lr. cheaper/softer lr ammo = more practice = greater accuracy. all that aside i wouldnt pay more than $300 for the wmr, but it not be a priority purchase if funds are limited.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Did you buy one?

We have one for sale.
Lots of extras with it.
If you are interested, let me know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts