Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is well known that bill Ruger admired the Browning 1885 High Wall and/or the Model 78 so much that he designed “his baby”……..the Ruger #1, around the Browning design.

I thought you might be interested in seeing the #1 and the Model 78 displayed side by side.

As you might have guessed, I am a fan of the design too.

The Ruger and Browning model 78 side by side. The Ruger is chambered in .270 Weatherby Magnum, and the Browning in .22-250.

The similarities are obvious as well as the differences. The shape of the lever is one obvious difference, with ease of use going to the Ruger. The Browning also has an external hammer and the Ruger is internal.

The loading ramps are quite similar:

Both riles have phenomenal balance and feel, and as soon as you pick one up, you know it was meant to shoot.

The Ruger does have a couple of minor flaws though. The grove for attaching the rings for the scope require the scope to be set as far to the rear as possible in order to get the maximum eye relief, but it still isn’t enough. Also, the hanger for the forearm always has to be tuned either by shoving a shim between the barrel and forearm or by getting a device called a Hick’s actuatizer and tuning between pressure and loads that it likes.

The scope on the Ruger is a substitute while the designated model goes back to the factory. Somebody warned me not to buy a Leatherwood, but I didn’t listen. The scope on the Browning is a Redfield 6-18x40, which I am very pleased with.

The Browning is currently the most accurate rifle I own, with the Ruger not even in the running at the moment. It does have the potential to rival the Browning with some more tuning and load development.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
When originally manufactured, these must have had iron sights-were they the buffalo guns or "needle" guns we read about??

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Both very nice rifles Bunzo. I like Rugers, but would pick that Browning High-Wall every time. It's a timeless classic.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I have owned almost every kind of Ruger, but have never owned a #1. I sure do like the looks of them. They are a handsome gun.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You are flattering Browning......The model for the Number One was based on the English Farquerson rifle, from all I have read on this rifle's history with Bill Ruger. I recall that the Number One preceded the Browning by quite a few years.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts

A 450/.400, 3" Farquharson single barrel rifle

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Farquharson Rifle is a single shot hammerless falling block action rife. It was designed and patented English gunsmith John Farquharson. It closely resembles Sharps-Borchardt Model 1878. It is the design basis for the Ruger No. 1 rifle. It was mainly used for big game hunting in Africa and Aisa.

·
Registered
576 Posts
bunzo351...Nice No. 1s...they DO have pretty wood! I don't have one now. I used to shoot sod puppies with a No. 1V in .22-250 and a Ruger 77 Varmint in .22-250. Deadly out to 250 yards with the reduced the load I was using so that I did not lose the target in the scope when recoiling. I used variable scopes and usually had it cranked to 18x to 24x. Stood in the back of a pickup, put an army blanket on the cab so not to scratch the cab or the rifles, used two rifles, both had Harris bi-pods and the rifles did not move a bit. Almost like bench-resting while standing. Alternated shots to keep the barrels cool. Lotsa fun!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Don't have one now, either...had a #3 in.223 a few years back...gettin' a hankerin' for a .243 or a 7x57, tho'...

The rifles Bunzo has are REALLY nice lookin'!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice!......drool....drool....drool

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Design basis perhaps, but what about inspiration?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Design basis perhaps, but what about inspiration?
Sorry, have to go with the lines of the Farquharson and the Alex Henry like Clayton says in his book (and every other book I've seen on #1's and Mr. Ruger). This is by no means a slam to John Moses Browning, a mechanical genius in his own right. I love my 1911...thanks John.:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Falling block design

Some very interesting and enlightening information. I have seen a few of the Brownings, but rarely.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You are flattering Browning......The model for the Number One was based on the English Farquerson rifle, from all I have read on this rifle's history with Bill Ruger. I recall that the Number One preceded the Browning by quite a few years.
This coincides with everything I have read about the #1 also.
Dan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts