Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. I started this project three days ago but have been updating my progress on a leather working forum. I thought I'd share this here as well. This is my second western rig build.
I have recently joined the CFDA and went to my first shoot. If you haven't tried the sport of Fast Draw yet, I highly recommend it. So, considering I dabble in gun leather, why not make my own rig. 'Bout time I made something for myself anyway. Plus, my new Vaquero needs a home.

In this thread I'll be using a template that I bought from Chris Andre of Slick Bald Customs www.slickbaldcustoms.com

Here's some progress pics:
Outer layer cut and stamped

Rough cut liner glued and stitched

Liner trimmed

sanded,edged and dyed

More pics to come as the build progresses. Thanks for looking and please feel free to comment.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Hey Country, I see your new Vaquero made it home! Congrats! :)

Very nice looker, good luck with it and happy shootin'...

Your leather works look very intriguing, nice job, can't wait to see the finished product. Keep us updated...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Very nice! Wish I had that kind of talent. You are an artist, sir!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Looking good and looking forward to seeing the fiished product.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the compliments so far. Late night at work last night, so I didn't get anything accomplished on the holster. I'm looking forward to getting this finished as well.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Country, you are doing a superb job on that holster. You can see a holster and belt in my avatar that I made, so I have some experience with this. Well done.

I'm also looking forward to the rest of the pics.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Again, thank you all for the compliments. Very motivating.

Tonight I'm one step closer to finishing the holster. I have sewn, sanded, edged, and re-dyed the seam. Depending on what time the dye dries, I may be able to burnish the seam. But this should give everyone a little bit of an idea of what the finished holster will look like. I also got my concho in today for the loop strap. So, I'm at least going to cut that out tonight while the dye is drying.

Additionally, I'm really glad to see this thread has had over 300 views. Thank you all for taking a look.

Country

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Definitely coming along nicely.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey Country, you are one talented individual, and a beautiful holster. Did you learn this on your own, or this is your trade? Again beautiful holster, and thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Country, you are one talented individual, and a beautiful holster. Did you learn this on your own, or this is your trade? Again beautiful holster, and thanks for sharing!
Howdy Para45. Thank you for the compliment. I would consider myself self taught with lots of diligent research. It would be nice if this would pay the bills, but right now I have an obligation to Uncle Sam for another 48 months.
Thanks again for the compliment.

Country

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hello Country,

Well, let me tell you my friend, you have a fantastic talent, and hopefully someday you could put to use. That is how most holster makers started their business, by working our of their garage because they couldn't find something that suit them. I wish you the best with this project! You've done well.

What military branch are you in? I'm Air Force with 29+ years in. By looking at where you are, I would say either Navy or Marines. Close? LOL!!!!!

Take care brother!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Comin' along really good Country. I mean it, it's awesome. You certainly have a talent for working with leather...keep us posted!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello Country,

Well, let me tell you my friend, you have a fantastic talent, and hopefully someday you could put to use. That is how most holster makers started their business, by working our of their garage because they couldn't find something that suit them. I wish you the best with this project! You've done well.

What military branch are you in? I'm Air Force with 29+ years in. By looking at where you are, I would say either Navy or Marines. Close? LOL!!!!!

Take care brother!
Thank you Para. Very kind words. You guessed pretty good. Marines. Just passed my 15 year mark this past July and reenlisted today for another 4 years.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Comin' along really good Country. I mean it, it's awesome. You certainly have a talent for working with leather...keep us posted!
Thanks JK. Very kind words as well. I'd love to persue this full time one of these years. But I figure I'll just keep working and fine tuning until that day comes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got started on the loop strap this evening and couldn't stop after that. I decided to go ahead and get both the holster and loop strap wet molded. I'll be able to let in dry over the next 8-10 hours and then go back over the edges with the canvas again. So, still a little bit aways from being completely finished. Such as installing the leg tie down, hammer strap, oiling, and finish coat. I figure that by Sunday the finish coat can be applied. Oh, if you're wondering why the toe of the flap is bent up like that is it's because I have a deflector shield installed inside the flap. The purpose of that is that in the event of an accidental or early discharge, the wax bullet will deflect off the shield vise smacking you in the leg.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.