Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used Bullseye in all my revolvers for quite awhile. Since it is now non existent I am trying to find a powder that my guns like as well as bullseye. I recently asked the same question regarding my 357. I got a lot of good info from the members here. Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have used Bullseye in all my revolvers for quite awhile. Since it is now non existent I am trying to find a powder that my guns like as well as bullseye. I recently asked the same question regarding my 357. I got a lot of good info from the members here. Thanks
Sorry, I posted this in the wrong place. Can it be moved to " reloading"

·
Registered
178 Posts
Unique and 2400 balance the range and power of the 41 Mag in my experience. More is not always better. The 57 and the Super Blackhawk display larger groups when the fireballs start rolling out of the barrel with 2400.

Reactions: jeepnut711

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Unique and 2400 balance the range and power of the 41 Mag in my experience. More is not always better. The 57 and the Super Blackhawk display larger groups when the fireballs start rolling out of the barrel with 2400.
This has not been my experience. In fact, just the opposite.
Handwriting Font Material property Wood Fashion accessory

·
Registered
484 Posts
Metonto -
First let say that 98% of my .41 mag. handgun ammo is loaded with my cast bullets. I really like t Lyman's #410459. This is a ~220 gr. SWC bullet designed by Elmer Keith, and it has worked well in all my .41's.
For my light to medium loads (750 to 850 fps.) I have had good luck with Bullseye, WW231, and Unique.
For my mid-range loads (850 to ~1,100 fps.) I like Unique of AA#9.
For heavy loads, 2400, H110, or WW296 will give you the true magnum velocities.

Elmer Keith's 3 loads using the 220 gr. SWC that he designed are:
(1.) Gallery Load: 4.5 grs. of Bullseye
(2.) Every Day Load: 7.5 grs. of Unique (Tried this one & like it. Recoil's a bit Snappy, but comfortable.).
(3.) Magnum Load: 20 grs. of 2400. (I personally feel that 18.0 grs. of 2400 is max for my guns. Your mileage may vary, but always start low and work up.)

I have also had good results with TiteGroup, Trail Boss, Universal as well as IMR 4227. In "times of Plenty", I like to try different powders to help get me thru "times like these." I have a good stock of Unique, 2400 and Accurate #9 to see me thru and these are my "standbys" as they work well for other cartridges that need to be fed as well.

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
My favorite 41 magnum powder isn't Bullseye ... but when Bullseye goes AWOL I have discovered the following powders do a decent job of standing in for it ... my favorite Bullseye stand in is Red Dot ...
If you cant find Red Dot the following will work untill Bullseye gets back .

Clays
700X
Bullseye
Red Dot
Promo
Zip
Acc #2
HP-38

My favorite all around 41 magnum powder is Unique or Acc #5 for mid range range loads ...
Yes ... for light target loads with cast lead wadcutters and SWC ... Bullseye and Red Dot work best ... but I seem to shoot more mid range in 41 magnum ... Maybe I need to load up more "target" loads and shoot at the indoor range more ... shooting a model 58 w/ tack driving loads sure is fun !
Gary

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
A lot of good info. Any thoughts on Lil Gun?
At one time, Freedom arms reccomended against using Lil gun in their revolvers. They claimed that it burned hotter, and caused barrel face erosion. For this reason, I do not use lil gun in revolvers. Is there something to this? I don’t know, but it has been enough to keep me from using it in my revolvers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
At one time, Freedom arms reccomended against using Lil gun in their revolvers. They claimed that it burned hotter, and caused barrel face erosion. For this reason, I do not use lil gun in revolvers. Is there something to this? I don’t know, but it has been enough to keep me from using it in my revolvers.
Have heard that too, have 2 lbs., but have not loaded any, this powder was originally for the .410 shotgun !

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Have heard that too, have 2 lbs., but have not loaded any, this powder was originally for the .410 shotgun !
Yes, they say that lil gun burns hotter than other magnum powders. Hodgdon denies this. It is supposedly safe in rifles, and of course, in the .410 shotgun. I think the problems were in very hot 454 casull loads.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use H110/W296 for my full house jacketed bullet loads. I mainly shoot cast lead though and Unique is my favorite for that. However I recently got very low on Unique and tried CFE Pistol. It seemed to do ok, but last week I picked up three more pounds of Unique so I will use the CFE for something else.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts