Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reloading the 45 colt for several years and bounce around on bullet weights, 200 grain, 230 grain, and 255 grain. The versatility is great, I have decided I need to settle on one bullet weight. Since I use it only for plinking I am leaning towards the 230 grain bullet. Was just wondering what the rest of you normally load in this caliber?

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,577 Posts
I have used 200, 230, and 250gr RNFP bullets in my .45 Colt loads. Best results have been with the 250gr projectiles.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,083 Posts
I'm with ngashooter .... my most accurate loads are Hornady 255gr LRNFT (cowboy). I also have excellent results with 250gr Hornady XTPs. Lighter bullets don't group as well but 250 gr plated or coated cast lead do quite well.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Since having the throats opened up and the forcing cone to 11 degrees my Bisley SBH with Hornady 255 grain SWC is a tack driver and zero leading.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Another fan of something in the 250 grain area. In general I find that I am happiest with bullet weights close to what the cartridge was originally designed/intended to use although I can be swayed toward 'heavy for caliber' in a few instances (like 147 grain for my 9mm).

Bruce

·
Registered
295 Posts
250's for me and RNFP in particular. :)

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
I've standardized as well. All my general .45 Colt shooting is done with the standard weight 250g RNFP. Works very well for me. My woods load uses a 255g SWC. With 44s (special and magnum) it is a 240g SWC. With .357s it is 158g SWC. I haven't shot any jacketed/plated bullets in many years now.

Reactions: 357duzzit

·
Registered
7 Posts
My favorite .45 LC bullet for over 45 years has been the 255-grain Lee RF. That said, today I shoot more of the 280 WFN bullet, both between 900-1000 fps, usually using Unique or Universal.

·
Registered
432 Posts
It depends on why you are shooting and how much recoil you want to deal with. I load up 255 gr bullets to approximate factory loads, but these loads have recoil. I have occasion to shoot SA only plate shoots, for those 200 gr. loads at 650 fps lessen the recoil. I have to shoot against people with 38 Spcl. and recovering from the recoil of 255 gr. takes time - the 200 gr bullets are accurate enough at 40'. Sometimes I shoot 270 gr at 1300 fps. but only when I want to relive my days in the artillary.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have played with all the different weights, not sure of a real favorite, but recently explored working a load using a 160gr coated bullet from Acme. Mainly because my wife is now having an issue with the heavier recoil of a 250gr. Currently using 7gr of Universal with my Vaquero with an average of 825 fps. Really fun to shoot and accurate. Something different and she approves. Still have a bunch of 200, 255, and even some 300gr Hornady, but prefer running these thru my Blackhawk with the 7" barrel. Reloading is so much fun exploring the different options

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been reloading the 45 colt for several years and bounce around on bullet weights, 200 grain, 230 grain, and 255 grain. The versatility is great, I have decided I need to settle on one bullet weight. Since I use it only for plinking I am leaning towards the 230 grain bullet. Was just wondering what the rest of you normally load in this caliber?
One thing I found to be kind of critical is a Lee factory crimp die for 45 Colt. Bullets 250 grain or so have a good size and can take a good crimp. If you use the bullet in a revolver the recoil causes problems unless you have a good roll drime. If you use it in a rifle you don't want the bullet sliding back into the case in the magazine. A good roll crime is easy in .357 but a little more crimop is needed for the 45 COlt (Great cartridge though!) bullets are easy to find and hard cast will do a lot for under 1000 fps and even on up into 1200 fps .. then youll want jackedt

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
...even on up into 1200 fps .
My experience with testing loads in the .44Mag was I shot 240g SWCs up to 1333fps no problem. Most of my .45 Colt shooting is in the 900fps range +-50fps. I like to shoot what was standard in the 'day' and 250g bullet seemed to be about it. Recoil is light (well not as light as .22 or .38s of course) and easy on the hands at these velocities. As for roll crimping. I've never found a need for a heavy roll crimp at these standard velocities in a .45 Colt revolver. A light crimp into the crimp groove is sufficient. My RCBS seat/crimp die works great for this.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts