Ruger Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
250 to 255 grain that’s what my molds say they'll drop.
But my actual bullet weight is always higher by 2 to 10 grains depending on my alloy and casting & mold temperature.

·
Registered
44 Posts
As for roll crimping. I've never found a need for a heavy roll crimp at these standard velocities in a .45 Colt revolver. A light crimp into the crimp groove is sufficient.
rclark what amount of light crimp is working for you?

Crimp die screwed down to touch the shell holder equals maximum 100% crimp, call it 12 o’clock crimp.
No crimp with the die turned up one full turn equals 0% crimp call it 11:59 o’clock crimp.
I’m using a ~62.5%, I call it a 7:30 o’clock crimp.
I like using the clock face analogy it’s a great description for note taking and repeatability.

·
Super Moderator
4,045 Posts
200gr LRNFP over 6.0gr Unique. That's my CAS load. I enjoy shooting big fast heavy hitting 45 Colt every now and then but most of my 45 Colt shooting is CAS.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
rclark what amount of light crimp is working for you?
On a 250g RNFP bullet, a light crimp to me is just enough crimp so that my finger doesn't catch on the edge of the case mouth on the transition from ogive of bullet to the case.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's a good analogy for a light crimp, Mr. Clark. 250 - 255 grains seems to be the preferred weight and Unique seems to be the preferred powder.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Unique seems to be the preferred powder.
I think the reason is it has been used for so many years with good results :) . When people think of .45 Colt (and .44 Special), Unique always comes to mind (as does 250g bullets)! That doesn't mean other powders aren't as good. I use Green Dot for my general purpose loads now instead of Unique for example. But I also found good loads with Universal, 20/28, BE-86, IMR 4227, True Blue, Triple-7, AA#5, CFE Pistol, HS-6 amongst others.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I read an article on the origins of smokeless powder, and believe it or not, bullseye was used in the first smokeless 45 colt rounds. They used bullseye for years for 45 colt, and may still use it. Many of the old timers swear by bullseye for 45 colt. I personally have always used unique because it was always available, but I have almost 8 pounds of bullseye, and will try it if things get bad.

·
Registered
730 Posts
For the most part, I like the 250-260 gr weight bullets. I cast my own, Lyman 454190's which are a close approximation of the original .45 Colt bullet and get good/great accuracy with them. Alloy is WW, air cooled and sized 0.453". I've got a Colt SAA 7-1/2" that really likes them and shoots to POA at 35 yds; also a Ruger NV with the 4-5/8" bbl. that does nearly as well. That bullet has a long standing reputation for penetration and accuracy that's born out in my use, and truth be told, I really like the look of that big slug with its small flat point....

I have tried 200 gr LSWC's of .45 ACP target fame (H&G #68's), and while they're superbly accurate, they hit 3" low at 25 yds through my guns and another good bullet, the old Keith 454423 LSWC, originally dreamed up as a heavy slug for .45 ACP revolvers. This does well in my guns, dropping from the mold at 235 gr's with my alloy, but as it's a single mold, I rarely use it. Lyman's bigger .45 bullet (the Keith 250 gr LSWC one, 4545424 I think), does equally well, but again, my mold is a single and frequently casts with fins if I get the mold hot enough to get good fill out. A bummer so it seldom gets used! That and I have to crimp over the front edge of the driving band which I hate to do.

Lastly, Missouri Bullet Co's RNFP cowboy bullet, name escapes me now, is a good one and has a brinell low enough (12 I think), to keep leading in check. The last ones I bought mic'd at 0.453"...perfect for my two guns.

For powder, I've used Unique at 8.0 to 8.5 grains for a duplication of the original BP load, but have found that Win 231 loads ~ a grain lighter are a bit more accurate with equal velocity. HtH's Rod

21 - 30 of 30 Posts