Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to load 45 colt. Was kinda thinking about using heavy cast bullets like 300-350gr. Powders on hand are 2400, power pistol, Blue dot, H110. I'm wanting a medium velocity loading probably around 1,000 fps. Anybody use these powders in the 45 colt?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm starting to load 45 colt. Was kinda thinking about using heavy cast bullets like 300-350gr. Powders on hand are 2400, power pistol, Blue dot, H110. I'm wanting a medium velocity loading probably around 1,000 fps. Anybody use these powders in the 45 colt?
I've used all the powders you mentioned in the .45 Colt, except the Power Pistol. However I've only recently started experimenting with the 300gr + bullets. You see I'm not convinced they are needed for normal hunting or shooting, but for my own education I'm doing some research.
The first thing I did when I started with the heavy bullets is to go on eBay and acquire a copy of Hodgdons #26. This is the go-to manual for heavy siliwet (sp) loads and will have what you want for those bullet weights.

For my own loads I won't shoot heavy bullet hot loads with ball powder from my revolvers. I've had too much forcing cone erosion because of them. I stick with flake or extruded powders such as 2400 or 4227. There are others too. Power Pistol may be too fast a powder for your loads. I reserve the heavy ammo loaded with H110 for my rifles.

Sorry I don't have any actual load data to share as I load the heavy bullets full tilt. The way I look at it, if I'm going to shoot a heavy bullet I might as well push it fast.

Joe

·
Registered
685 Posts
I never tried anything heavier that the 454424 Keith bullet(255 gr) with 9 gr of Unique. It was and is a great load for that caliber. I've looked though five manuals I have dating back to 1969 to the present and see no load for a bullet over 260 grs.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've used Power Pistol with 45 Colt: 225gr. lead for shooting bowling pins with 8gr. run about 1000fps. I have never seen this load in any manuals, Power Pistol doesn't seem to be used in larger calibers; therefore I am NOT recommending it. The load worked fine for me, but I wouldn't want to use it for heavier bullets - too much pressure for the speed you are looking for. I'm sure you can find good loads with the other powders that you have.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
335gr HC over 24gr. of 296/110
I see from you Club Membership that you are a Marine. You must be to shoot many boolits with the powder charge you list!!!

Now then, I am just former Army and I have only used 23 grains of H-110 and that was with a 283 grain boolit...

That must be one flipper to shoot--any recoil?...

BCB;)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
That is back in the day Larry Kelly/JD Jones loads for big game hunting and yep you know if your fireing pin is broke or not

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I use 2400 to push a 250gr cast boolit of BHN 15-16. Works great.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I like 21.5 H110 behind a 300gr hardcast. Magnum primer of course.

This is a Ruger Only load!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,704 Posts
+1 Hughuno

Hey guys, this reloading forum is about SAFE SAAMI level loads. We also allow loads to be posted from reputable reloading manuals such as Speer or Hornady, which would cover some "Ruger Only" loads. If you want to hot load 45 Colts, there's plenty of data in other sources .... but not applicable here. Please read this before posting load data:
http://rugerforum.net/reloading/30464-read-before-posting.html

·
Registered
368 Posts
favorite 45 colt loads

I treied many loads in the big Colt.45.I never got good results with I M R 4227.Did ok with some loads of 2400.My all time favorite is 9 grs Unique behind a hard cast 255 gr keith style semi wadcutter.I settled on this load years ago as it is very accurate in both my old Blackhawk,and the Rossi lever gun.Just cant find anything else that does as well in both,and quit trying after much trial and mostly error.Some here have recommended 4227.but I had way too much un-burned powder in both my guns.9 gr Unique and the bullet I mentioned is plenty accurate for me.That load is about all I shoot anymore.The most accurate I have found is the winchester Silvertip.Just too expensive for every day shooting .Be safe.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My all time favorite is 9 grs Unique behind a hard cast 255 gr keith style semi wadcutter.I settled on this load years ago as it is very accurate in both my old Blackhawk,and the Rossi lever gun.Just cant find anything else that does as well in both,and quit trying after much trial and mostly error..
Same load I use. Can't go wrong with it.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Some here have recommended 4227.but I had way too much un-burned powder in both my guns
Well, I found that the un-burned powder doesn't affect anything and I am more interested in 'accuracy'. I found an IMR-4227 load (20g 4227 pushing 255g SWC) that shoots very well in my .45 Colt Vaquero, so I am sticking with it for that revolver. BTW, this is not a 'hot' load even though it is a grain over the max listed in the Hornady manual. My chrony shows around 900fps (surprised me as I expected around 1000fps) <shrug>. I was using standard CCI primer and some places it mentions using a Magnum primer... Or maybe not using a firm enough crimp... No matter as it is an accurate load in both of my .45 Colt Ruger revolvers and that is what counts.... Right?

9 grs Unique behind a hard cast 255
About to try that load myself but pushing a 250g RNFP in my .45 BH. 8.5g (Max in Hornady manual) has been a good charge too, but I see 9.0g being mentioned (not just here), so willing to try it, as it is in the velocity range I am looking for and not a Ruger Only Load. Plus it is fun to try new loads :rolleyes: :) . Then I get to test it all over again using 255g SWC bullets down the road. Fun Fun....

·
Registered
368 Posts
.45 Colt loads

Rcclark has good results with 4227.I like my old load with Unique.Im sure others will offer up their favorite brews for this great old round.One thing we can gather from this-No two guns will react exactly the same with a given load.Always remember to find a good manual,start below maximum,and work up loads very carefully.You may have a given load that works perfectly in your gun.Due to manufacturing tolerances,that same load might be way too hot in another gun.Differing bore diameters just one of many factors here.Also when working with max or near max loads,always use the same type brass,primer ect.And one other critical step is lenght trimming each case the same.I find great differences in case length among .45 colt,more than any other caliber I load.One instance,winchester brass from factory Silvertips is much shorter than anything else I have reloaded.What may be safe in one lot of cases could be over pressure in others due to shorter case length.Also inside case capacity can vary from one brand to another.I always work up slowly to near max,and then never vary from anything,be it primer,powder weight,bullet type...whatever.I dont load 45 colt to max anyway,though Im sure my Black hawk can handle it.I would advise a beginning reloader to find a good safe and accurate load and learn to shoot with that.Taking small steps is the way to go in reloading.I have a friend who keeps a Colt Python cylinder next to his powder scale.Well,whats left of it anyway,as half is missing.Some idiot stuffed some .357s full of bullseye,and that expensive revolver let go on the first shot.Pretty good reminder to be very careful when reloading.Have fun.Be safe.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
No two guns will react exactly the same with a given load
Yep.... And that is what turned me on to 4227. Unique has always been and still is my go to powder. I was getting a bit frustrated with TB and Unique in my Vaquero. Just wasn't getting the accuracy I expected. Even got a Belt Mountain base pin for it... Tried some HS-6 loads that others said were 'excellent'... no go... So in Taffin's writings he mentioned using 4227 and that he had one gun that 'liked' only this load.... What the heck, I'll give it a whorl.... and it worked. I worked up from 15g to 20g in this particular gun. 20g was the best and it even 'shifted' POI for me in the right directions. Win Win.

...Pretty good reminder to be very careful when reloading.Have fun.Be safe.
Always research the loads AND the gun you plan to shoot the load in. Then always triple check your scale especially if using a 'new to you' powder. Don't take my word for it, or anyone else. If unsure, work up to the load (don't ever work down from max loads...) .

And one other critical step is length trimming each case the same
Well, I have not seen this as a problem. I've loaded lots of cases (mostly Star-line and some W-W), and if bad enough it would show up as inconsistent crimping and bullet 'looking' higher/lower in the cases even though seated to the same depth. A friend of mine did have one case that came new 'half' size though :) . Rifle cases? Have had to trim them back time to time!

·
Registered
368 Posts
.45 Colt loads

Rclark,youre talkin my language.I can see youve dumped a few charges!This is one of the things I love about reloading,the challenge of finding THE load for a particular gun.I have gone as far as taking primed brass,bullets and powder measure to the shooting bench.By varying powder,loads ect.,Its possible to get a fixed sighted gun dead center on target.Thats part of the fun.And when you do find that load to be "just right",the fun really begins.Plus, I love to hunt with my handloads.And factory loads.And blackpowder.And 22s.And bows.It just goes on and on. God bless America.Be safe.

·
Registered
521 Posts
200gr Missouri Bullet's Cowboy # 4 over 10.5 gr of AA5
OAL of 1.585

Dead center bullseyes!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I shoot two Ruger Blackhawks in 45 Colt with a 7.5" barrels. I had a gunsmith friend ream the cylinders out to .452 inches for each. I also lightened the trigger springs.

Here are some of my favorite loads. They have yielded groups 1.25" center to center or less at 25 yards (five-shot group tests, counting the best 4 out of 5).

Standard 45 Colt Pressure:
200 Grain Cowboy, 6.7 Grains Trail Boss (Lee Dipper 1.6) 860 fps
225 Grain Penn BBWC, 6.0 Grains Trail Boss (Lee Dipper 1.3) 750 fps (Most accurate with brass that has been reloaded over three times).
225 Grain Penn BBWC, 6.7 Grains Trail Boss (Lee Dipper 1.6) 850 fps
225 Grain Penn BBWC, 6.2 Grains Titegroup (RCBS Little Dandy rotor #9) 875 fps (Most Accurate with new or practically new brass).
250 Grain Lead HCFN – 6.7 Grains Trail Boss (Lee Dipper 1.6) 800 fps
250 Grain Speer Lip Curl JHP, 7.8 Grains Unique (rotor #15) 800 fps
250 Grain Speer Lip Curl JHP, 6.2 Grains Titegroup (rotor #9) 825 fps
255 Grain LFP, 6.2 Grains Titegroup (rotor #9) 850 fps

.45 Colt +P Pressure WARNING, THESE LOADS SHOULD NOT BE USED IN AUTHENTIC COLT SINGLE ACTION REVOLVERS OR REPLICAS. THEY SHOULD ONLY BE USED IN VERY STRONG REVOLVERS LIKE THE RUGER BLACKHAWK.
250 Grain Hornady XTP, 8.3 Grains Unique (Lee Dipper 1.0) 860 fps (most accurate jacketed load)
250 Grain Hornady XTP, 7.2 Grains Red Dot (Lee Dipper 1.0) 875 fps
250 Grain Speer Lip Curl JHP, 24.5 Grains H110 (Lee Dipper 1.6) 1300 fps
270 Grain Keith LSWC, 7.5 Grains Titegroup (Lee Dipper 0.7) 900 fps (very accurate with new or practically new brass)
270 GR Lead Keith SWC, 20.8 Grains IMR 4227 (Lee Dipper 1.6) 1150 FPS
270 Grain Lead Keith SWC, 24.5 Grains H110 (Lee Dipper 1.6) 1200 fps

Some things I have noticed:
Titegroup is sensitive to crimp. As cases get work-hardened from reloading, I ease off on the crimp. After three reloads I switch to Trail Boss because it seems less sensitive.

Very poor results from Blue Dot with all bullet weights.

Unique, HP-38/Win 231, Red Dot yield excellent performance with jacketed bullets.

Titegroup and Trail Boss have given me best results with light lead bullet loads.

IMR 4227 works well with the case nearly full, but produces a lot of unburned powder grains that blow out between the frame and cylinder.

H110 is the most accurate heavy load powder. However, I NEVER use H110 in reduced loads. I use H110 only for loads that nearly fill the case.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts