Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure that this subject has been beaten to death but I'll ask any way.
What is your favoite 9mm defensive round?
My vote goes to the Remington Golden Sabre 124 +P for conceled on the street. In my apartment I go with the Golden Sabre 147.
Just curious thats all.[}:)]

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Both highly rated rounds...lots of great 9mm ammo out there now in speeds all the way from School Zone to Grand Prix...with prices to match....:D

·
Registered
78 Posts
I like the Golden Sabres but have found myself leaning towards the Speer Gold Dots +P 124 and Corbon 100 +P Power Ball.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Originally posted by lizzy p93

I'm sure that this subject has been beaten to death but I'll ask any way.
What is your favoite 9mm defensive round?
My vote goes to the Remington Golden Sabre 124 +P for conceled on the street. In my apartment I go with the Golden Sabre 147.
Just curious thats all.[}:)]

Is this 'favorite defensive round' based on pure conjecture or real life scenarios? I really haven't ever shot anybody (and don't plan to if I can help it) so I have no basis for a 'favorite' round. My usual 9 mm purchase is whatever Walmart has. I don't pay any attention to media hype. Personally, I would be more inclined to carry a .45 for self defense on the go. At home I have a shotgun. Load either one with whatever. I'm sure they will do the job if you do yours.
This is just my opinion and YOMV.

·
Premium Member
2,817 Posts
quote:Originally posted by oldgungal

Personally, I would be more inclined to carry a .45 for self defense on the go. At home I have a shotgun. Load either one with whatever. I'm sure they will do the job if you do yours.
This is just my opinion and YOMV.
I sure can't argue with your logic there oldgungal!:D

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
wallyworld winchester white box ball. Figure if I have to resort to the wonder nine I will need as many as I can afford. Now there --- I'm not trying to start anything---- I agree with the old gun gal---

·
Registered
78 Posts
For a while in college I worked at an ammunitions reloading facility. My manager was in charge of testing rounds into gel blocks. The most impressive expansion he ever got out of a 9mm round was the speer gold dot. I know alot of people are under the impression that heavier is better. But for me I will take a high velocity round with impressive bullet expansion over a heavy slow round any day. A heavy bullet may give you a through and through seeping wound. A round with good expansion will tear apart anything in its path at a high velocity. The most impressive round for 9mm's I ever saw is now illegal to use. But it was a steel shank hydrashock which is now law enforcment use only (Its steal shank was good at peeking through kevlar).

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. loads. However, I would like to get some Buffalo Bore 9mm and 45 ACP ammo at some point. I've only heard good things in regards to what they manufacture. I do like the Gold Dots too though, but would like some of each brand.:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No offense taken at all...... Just wonderin' what peoples preffered 9mm round is based on ballistic info,thats all.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
once upon a time it was win silvertip.

nowadays if i had to go back to a 9, it probably would be gold dot or hornady xtp

·
Registered
842 Posts
Occasionally I still carry my P85. It seems to shoot the 124 gr rds just a bit better than the lighter bullets so I'm happy with just about any 124 gr JHP.

·
Registered
62 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Hooligan

But it was a steel shank hydrashock which is now law enforcment use only (Its steal shank was good at peeking through kevlar).
What's the steel shank round? I always carry Hydrashoks. I didn't know there was ever a variation of them? They all are HP's with the post inside. And those are available all over the place for civillian use.

·
Registered
62 Posts
wow i had never heard of a steel shank

·
Registered
71 Posts
Never heard of steal shanks either. If I remember right the post was lead and designed to stop the hollowpoint from clogging up when penetrating cloth.
I use the winchester ranger T's as well as Federals Tactical line. Both are adverised for LE only but it is not illegal for non-LEO's to own them (unless you live in one of those occupied states that bans all HP ammo, NJ is one of these states that come to mind).
I will post a link tomorrow that shows the differences between various brands of ammo and calibers and the importance of wound balistics. When bullets are tested they are fired into ballistic gel through various barriers. I believe the FBI created these tests for new ammo after shootouts where the bad guys were hit several times and continued to fight and still manage to kill and injure several agents. The FBI determined that HP's worked best at stopping a bad guy quickly of all bullet designs, but only HP's that penetrate a minimum of 12" in ballistics gel, opened up reliably and did not seperate or fragment in the body were effective. Bullets that are tested are shot into bare gel, gel covered with 4 layers of denim, plywood, windshield glass, even metal, and I am forgeting the other barriers used to simulate real life situations.
Ammo selection is a huge consideration when used in a defensive firearm. Thanks to modern HP designs there is not much diference between 9mm, .357Sig, .40S&W, and .45 calibers. Those 4 calibers are considered to be the best handgun calibers in semiautos for protection.

I have light and fast and heavy and slow rounds in the Ranger T and Federal Tactical offerings. I have been using heavy and slow since the latest tests show that of the new ammunition being offered slow and heavy penetrates further and still expands reliable and consistently.

Here is a link to some well compiled ballistics info.http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=237

1 - 20 of 31 Posts